Menu

Becoming Jane

I'm so glad that you are Becoming (a) Jane (ite). Welcome to the club!

This was an interesting movie....IMHO....but it really didn't have that much to do with Jane Austen. It seemed highly fictionalized (as is often the case with movies) to me. Even reading Becoming Jane didn't really convey all that the movie more than implied.

Maybe I am too much of a stickler. I've read every JA biography that I am aware of having been written. So much of what was in that movie was conspicuously missing from those erudite tomes.:tongue_smilie:

It was fun to watch, but it took many liberties, I thought.

If you'd like to know more about JA, you could visit www.pemberley.com. (I hope we are allowed to post web-site links on here. This isn't an ad!) Also, I recommend a daily dose of reading her writing! Finally, try some of the fantastic movie adaptations of her works. Some of them are pretty faithful to the original works.

Enjoy. That is one of summer's greatest pleasures for me....breaking from teaching, and reading Jane!

I recently finished the book it was based on and very little of the movie is in the book. As another poster said I think much of the movie was fictionalized. Sadly most of Janes letters from that time period were destroyed by her sister Cassandra when Jane died. So no one really knows the extent of the relationship between Jane and Tom. It is nice to hope she was happy for a while. There is a Becoming Jane fansite that is fun to read. I will get the link if anyone would like it.They have contests at times and give away a DVD of the movie.

I just read my first Jane Austen book last December, yes due to the numerous post about her books on the boards. Well I have now read them all and plan to reread them as soon as I have finished my 888 reading list. At the moment I am reading Miniatures and Morals by Peter Leithart. I purchased this from Rainbow Resources. The author is a Senior Fellow of Literature and Theology at New Saint Andrews College. In the book he relates Jane's concern for Christian virtues as expressed in her books. There is a chpater on each Austen book with review question and thought questions. I am really enjoying this and plan to use the questions with my son, who will be reading Pride and Prejudice next year.

This movie made me a James McAvoy fan. Grrrowr!

That movie for me was The Lion ,the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

....Kidding! Although he was in that movie, I think it was The Last King of Scotland that made me sit up and *notice* James McAvoy. ;)

Margaret

PS I like Becoming Jane, too

That movie for me was The Lion ,the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

....Kidding! Although he was in that movie, I think it was The Last King of Scotland that made me sit up and *notice* James McAvoy. ;)

Margaret

PS I like Becoming Jane, too

Oh my goodness! He's Tumnus, LOL, somehow the name never stuck in my head for the actor playing Tumnus. Too funny. He's rumored to be the pick to play Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, if you hadn't heard.

What was they used to say..."Resistance if futile." :iagree:

I watched it for the first time last night. I am becoming interested in Jane now. Hmm, wonder where I got that from?;) Just another way in which the boards have influenced me.

I was only going to watch 1/2 last night since it was late. Well, I stayed up later and watched it all.

Becoming Jane together. She was the one to say, he played Tumnus. I had no idea :001_smile: I liked the movie although I have never read one of her books~I know what you are thinking 23_34_2.gif

I have the Jane Austen Book Club on my Netflix.

Aside from what I've heard (not on these boards) was a less-than-stellar screenplay, the very thought of casting an American actress as Jane Austen just...does not sit well with me. So on this, Melissa, we must part ways. But we'll always have our Mike's.:D

I really wanted to like this movie because I love period pieces so much, but I have to agree with Colleen here that Anne Hathaway was just the worst possible choice to me. I have seen her in too many bumbling princess roles to ever imagine her as Jane Austen. I think I could enjoy it if I didn't think she was trying to play a beloved author! LOL That may sound snobby - I don't mean it so.

It also bothered me that they made so much of so little. The truth of their story is here: http://www.jasna.org/film/becoming-jane.html Certainly it is *possible* that some of what the movie showed was true, but still...

I am glad you enjoyed it. It really was Anne Hathaway that ruined it for me. Had they chosen a real Brit with a real English accent I might have embraced it - made-up story or not! LOL :tongue_smilie:

I don't mean to cause an uproar, but I really didn't know much about her to begin with. So I had nothing to compare to except itself (ducking here;)). Given that information, I enjoyed what I saw. Was it nothing like her real life? I wouldn't have a clue! (don't hate me for this -- I am learning new things all the time) She just hasn't been on my interest screen yet. But that movie did make me want to learn more about her. So, that's good, right?:001_smile:

I read some of her works ages ago. I saw a couple of movies as well. But now, I think I am ready to see her works in a new light and to learn about her as well. So that's where I am.

And if not, we'll still have the Mike's.:D

I must chime in and say that, no, I did not like this movie.

I was very much anticipating the release of the dvd. I watched the movie and was quite disappointed. Yikes!

Fast forward...On Saturday, my husband was headed to the Movie Gallery and asked me if I wanted him to pick up a movie for me....

I said, "Becoming Jane. I haven't seen it."

I put the dvd in and it was like having a nightmare. Where have I seen this before? Now, I remember, it was when it first came out. The first time I had seen it, I had to force myself to sit through the thing as I told myself, "Just wait, it's bound to get better." Nope, it didn't.

I am chuckling to myself as I type this because I really thought I was having flashbacks.

As far as Jane Austen is concerned, I do like what I have seen and read of her work. I guess my disappointment has been that I was expecting a great story of Jane Austen to be like all the great productions of her stories...my fault in having such high expectations.

Claire in NM