Menu

I have a stupid (but earnest) question about Music

mom2bee

Music theory for beginners includes, note identification, counting, symbols, intervals, key signatures, chord structures, and scales. Most music theory is included with beginning piano methods. The traditional piano methods like Alfred, Bastien, etc. include theory along with the music. The Suzuki method does not incorporate theory because it starts with ear training. Every teacher has her favorite beginner method, but I have always started students with Alfred, and then incorporate some Suzuki, Thompson and Irl Allison into the mix. There are also some good websites, and some computer activities used by universities that "quiz" you on notes, keys and chord structures. I would recommend that you visit a music store and look through the piano methods. Choose the one that makes the most sense to you, and go from there.

I start kids in piano between ages 4 and 8, and the excpectations differ with the age. For a beginner, I would start with a method book, and work up to a total of 10 pages of music to practice, 1 page of technique, 3 pages of review songs, 3 pages of polishing songs (the notes and counting are good, but we are polishing up the details), 2 pages of new stuff that is being learned, and 1 page of prep for the next new thing. That is a good combination for most of my kids from 1st grade on. With the younger ones, it is less. I like to prescribe the number of repetitions instead of a number of minutes of practice. I try to provide enough work for about 10 minutes/grade.

Hope that gives you something to consider or compare with! Music is a great learning device, and a life long gift!

Thank you, but I guess I should have specified that I was hoping for an explanation for a "Dummy" I didn't understand your first sentence much at all.

I asked here because Wikipedia was above my comprehension abilities (too much jargon!). I know what a note is...and have heard scales used in context so many times that I feel know what it is, but I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to Music...have no clue about music, I'm just really curious about it tonight so I have been trying to check out some articles...but most of them assume I know something, and I don't....

EDIT: after reading Wikipedia in simple English, I'm re-reading the regular Wikipedia article s-l-o-w-l-y...

Edited by mom2bee

Music theory could also be called music literacy-it's simply learning to read the language of music. Like learning to read text, there's a wide range of skills and levels and it's difficult to say when someone can truly "Read" music. In elementary school, music theory for a general music (IE, not studying a specific instrument with a performance goal) generally involves being able to read and play/sing simple melodies (and harmonies, but usually only playing one part at a time) with rhythmic accuracy and appropriate expressive markings as given in the score. For a traditionally taught instrumental music student, theory requires being able to read and understand the music you're working on at a given time, and is usually going to be much more advanced than a general music only student of the same age (Level I Faber piano adventures theory would meet the 6th grade TN state general music ed standards for theory).

This is one of my favorite basic music theory resources for children

http://www.amazon.com/Ready---Use-Music-Reading-Activities/dp/0137561644/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325212165&sr=8-3

It requires either a keyboard instrument or a mallet percussion instrument (a chromatic bellset can be had for about $20), and is fairly independent for a child who reads on a 3rd-4th grade level. It's designed for use in music classroom settings to allow teachers to individualize theory by having the kids work through the packets at their own pace, with the teacher only managing assessments, since theory is one area where often there's a wide range of ability. It's a little expensive as a workbook for one child, but is designed to be reproducible, so it's a favorite of mine for co-ops and the like.

Edited by dmmetler

Slightly OT: Did you know there's a "For Dummies" version of Wikipedia???

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_tuning

This is about MY speed... :lol:

However, with my 2 kids, I have just jumped in. We listen to Ambleside composers, we read Mike Venezia composer biographies and other non-intimidating books.

We follow the Ambleside Online Composer rotation because it tells me which pieces are worth listening to from which composers. I adapted a few child-level living books that were out of copyright (available free on my site).

And I manage.

Now, a music snob would say this is NOT music theory, we are just listening to music, learning about famous composers, and occasionally attending classical performances where we can afford it. We are also lacking a hands-on component, which I'd love to add, but haven't.

But I personally studied three instruments growing up (piano, recorder, viola) and came away with almost NO music theory and no appreciation of the composers' lives and what makes their music special and distinct. At least my kids are getting tons of breadth. Hopefully, we can add hands-on and theory later on.

My ds16 also says our curriculum is Euro-centric, but you could easily build exactly the same type of curriculum around African or South American music, rock music, anything you cared to study.

A great radio show you want to listen to if you're studying a composer is Classics for Kids. She covers SOME theory, though it's mostly practical, and fascinating, biographical details of the composers' lives.

What is Music theory? and what does a typical (serious) music program look like for a beginning student?

What are some good, simple books for beginners or young children about music theory that I can look at to learn about this subject?

Interested also as I'm completely music illiterate. I have no music skills and DH has less, if that's possible, and DS is the worst of all. I have no hope of him persuing anything remotely musical, but would like him to be familiar with musical terms, etc.

I was wondering about something like Piano Wizard Academy for when he's a bit older as well.

I use the grade level books from Rod & Staff. We move through them slowly - OK, we are in the fifth and on the third book! However, we are learning to read a sheet of music as well as what the technical terms are for describing music.

Along with this, we have recorders and sheet music! I play piano and can read music so this is not that much of a stretch, but Abeka or BJU has a book on the Recorder if you choose this route - the guitar too.

I honestly can't imagine learning music theory independent of an instrument. How would it make any sense outside the context of actual music? I suppose it could be done but it would be extra difficult. Within the context of learning an instrument, basic theory comes very naturally and easily (at least it did for me, even as a young child). Advanced theory is another story, but most people don't study that.

Are you interested in learning piano? I would think that taking lessons for even a year would open up the world of basic music theory.

What is Music theory? and what does a typical (serious) music program look like for a beginning student?

What are some good, simple books for beginners or young children about music theory that I can look at to learn about this subject?

What is Music theory? It is teaching a student the why behind the musical piece he plays. It helps the student understand how to read music. Now, I am currently reading an old book called Learn To Read Music by Howard Shanat. It is designed to help a person understand the principles involved in reading music.

I see music similar to learning a new language. You have to understand not only how those notes may sound, but how they may act when they come together. Learning one note at a time is the same as phonics reading. You learn how the note sounds just as you learn how letters make sounds.

There are many ways to learn how to read music. This book that I reading teaches by just clapping and singing. It is that simple. It can get more complex.

What does a typical music program look like for a beginner music student? This is where you get into a thing called "approach" to music. There different ways of learning music. I feel that all are good approaches; it all depends upon your child's learning style. I will use myself as an example. I took the violin as a child. Here are two that I know of:

1. Traditional approach: this method teaches a child theory through books about note reading, posture, position on a violin. The child usually has to be older to do this approach with violin, in my experience.

2. Suzuki approach: this method says learn the music now, teach theory later. This uses the method of music as a language more than traditional. Suzuki's philosphy was that when a person learns to speak a language, the child is spoken to first. A baby is talked to, then he learns year later grammar, writing, etc. Suzuki trains the child to learn the music by ear, listening to the pieces over and over. Then the child starts to play the pieces. The child learns advance pieces faster, but learns theory like note reading, etc. later (just like you learn grammar later).

Both methods have their merits and both have their downfall. Now, if your child has a knack for music, any method will bring that out.

What is a good theory book? I think the book I mentioned above is excellent to read as a parent and then applying its principles. For the child, I would recommend a good Alfred beginner theory book.

I hope that helps.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I honestly can't imagine learning music theory independent of an instrument. How would it make any sense outside the context of actual music? I suppose it could be done but it would be extra difficult. Within the context of learning an instrument, basic theory comes very naturally and easily (at least it did for me, even as a young child). Advanced theory is another story, but most people don't study that.

Are you interested in learning piano? I would think that taking lessons for even a year would open up the world of basic music theory.

:iagree:

... but that "instrument" could be something simple like recorder, or it could even be voice or body percussion (clapping, clicking, snapping, stomping).

Of course, history, composer studies, music appreciation, and so on can be learned outside of the context of instrument study, but pure music theory makes much more sense in context. By pure, I mean things like note names, values, rests, scales, chords, intervals, key signatures, time signatures, rhythms, reading music, and so on.

:iagree:

... but that "instrument" could be something simple like recorder, or it could even be voice or body percussion (clapping, clicking, snapping, stomping).

Of course, history, composer studies, music appreciation, and so on can be learned outside of the context of instrument study, but pure music theory makes much more sense in context. By pure, I mean things like note names, values, rests, scales, chords, intervals, key signatures, time signatures, rhythms, reading music, and so on.

While it is true that learning any instrument will open up the ins and outs of basic music theory, it is more apparent with piano than many other instruments. The way the keys are laid out and aligned make it very easy to see the differences between a half step and a whole step, for example.

I know many orchestral musicians who didn't completely understand much of music theory until they took piano. As a violinist, I had a great advantage because I could plainly see or picture what the theory was about.

Music Theory is a huge umbrella. Just like Language Arts encompasses reading, spelling, writing, literary analysis, and a smattering of everything else needed to REALLY know English; Music Theory encompasses basic reading, writing and analyzing of music and much more.

Music Literacy is a great term.:D

fwiw - I have yet to see a music program that teaches music to young kids the way I think music should be taught to young kids.:001_huh: It should be an organic process, but yet an organized and methodical process as well. (With my own, I've got organic down...working on organized and methodical.:tongue_smilie:)

There is not much for sale that #1 REALLY teaches/trains and #2 can be used by a non-musician parent. I teach music to my dc b/c I am a musician. I may not be very organized about it, and they may not be able to verbalize what they know quite yet, but they associate sounds like a musician.

*I* think the most important foundation to build in the early years (before instruments!!!) is ear training. Everything else rises and falls upon ear training. Knowing do re mi or EGBDF and FACE is worthless dribble if those note names are not associated with their sound relationships. Once those associations are made, a world is opened up and the child can decode and encode music as well as he can English. It's the phonics of music. It's only a 1st step, but it's a step that cannot be skipped without consequence.

For a non-musician parent, I'd advise getting a great piano teacher who has the kids do plenty of singing. It's pretty easy to branch out from piano to anything else.

I just found this nice YouTube on music theory. This guy teach free music theory lessons on YouTube. Here is the site:

I hope this is helpful!!

Have a Happy New Year!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

While it is true that learning any instrument will open up the ins and outs of basic music theory, it is more apparent with piano than many other instruments. The way the keys are laid out and aligned make it very easy to see the differences between a half step and a whole step, for example.

I know many orchestral musicians who didn't completely understand much of music theory until they took piano. As a violinist, I had a great advantage because I could plainly see or picture what the theory was about.

Oh, I agree that piano is the best for that! (I am a pianist and piano teacher.) I just think that *any* instrument would be better than *no* instrument for learning about music. You wouldn't really want to do it in a purely theoretical sense on a piece of paper only. Some people don't have the money and/or inclination to invest in a piano and lessons to go with it, that's all. I do highly recommend piano lessons to get basic training in music.

Music Theory is a huge umbrella. Just like Language Arts encompasses reading, spelling, writing, literary analysis, and a smattering of everything else needed to REALLY know English; Music Theory encompasses basic reading, writing and analyzing of music and much more.

Music Literacy is a great term.:D

fwiw - I have yet to see a music program that teaches music to young kids the way I think music should be taught to young kids.:001_huh: It should be an organic process, but yet an organized and methodical process as well. (With my own, I've got organic down...working on organized and methodical.:tongue_smilie:)

There is not much for sale that #1 REALLY teaches/trains and #2 can be used by a non-musician parent. I teach music to my dc b/c I am a musician. I may not be very organized about it, and they may not be able to verbalize what they know quite yet, but they associate sounds like a musician.

*I* think the most important foundation to build in the early years (before instruments!!!) is ear training. Everything else rises and falls upon ear training. Knowing do re mi or EGBDF and FACE is worthless dribble if those note names are not associated with their sound relationships. Once those associations are made, a world is opened up and the child can decode and encode music as well as he can English. It's the phonics of music. It's only a 1st step, but it's a step that cannot be skipped without consequence.

For a non-musician parent, I'd advise getting a great piano teacher who has the kids do plenty of singing. It's pretty easy to branch out from piano to anything else.

Yes--agreed.

The music program I'm doing with my daughter includes piano, theory, ear training, sight singing, composition/improvisation, and more. I've taught music for years, though. I think it's pretty difficult for a non-musical parent.