Menu

Muppets or Tintin

Haven't seen the Muppets. Saw Tintin and loved it, but all of my kids were quite familiar with it. We did the 2D version and I was glad, because it's fast-paced. My youngest clapped and cheered at all the "right" places and ate an awful lot of popcorn:lol:.

My guess is that Muppets is intended for a younger audience, but I don't at all regret taking the youngest along to see Tintin. And for my oldest, it was like living a dream:lol:. I'm sure they would've liked the Muppets, too--but *I* enjoyed Tintin just as much as the kids, which is a sign of a thing of wonder to me;).

Think of Tintin like a Indiana Jones for the elementary crowd and see if that makes a difference in your decision--if you don't like mystery, adventure, gun/sword fights, or suspense, go with the Muppets!

I have not seen TinTin, but I have seen the Muppets. I enjoyed it.

However, on another message board that I frequent someone saw TinTin and posted this review:

I HATED Tin Tin. Hated it. Hated every minute of it. In the theatre we were in three families with kids left during the first hour. I wish we had, too. I believe it should have been rated PG13, not PG.

Here are my specific problems with this movie:

1 - Alcohol. Alcohol was a major plot point. One of the characters was drunk the entire movie. There was specific talk of being drunk, being an alcoholic, alcoholism, sober, etc. Several small subplots involved him trying to get alcohol. There was specific mention of and showing of whiskey and rum. Showing of him drinking.

2 - Violence. There is extensive use of guns, including machine guns, in this movie. Toward the beginning of the movie one character dies from bleeding out due to gunshot wounds. You see the wounds, the blood, the time it takes for him to die. Not ok in a family movie for me. There is also violence/death by swords, fire, explosion, hand to hand combat, drowning, and sharks.

3 - One particularly inappropriate joke about a man getting fired from a job as a shepard because of having sex with the animals.

I was just very disappointed because I think the movie could have been such a fun, good mystery without the alcohol and guns. I just wonder why? Why are they necessary?

Anyway, IMO, I would NOT take a 7 yr old to see this movie.

All of that was this other lady's opinion.

The lady who wrote the review was obviously not familiar with the comic books or how alcohol is handled in them. The books the movie was based on were written in the 30's (40's?)--that alone says "not politically correct".

The alcohol is actually related entirely to one character, who has a problem with it. It's never protrayed as a good thing in the books or the movie. For me, the books were a great opportunity to show that whiskey can seriously impair one's judgment--in just causes trouble.

The review's #2 point makes it sound like a Die Hard movie:confused:. It's animated. I was a little concerned about the man "bleeding out", which I knew about because I READ REVIEWS before I went, but it was not NEARLY as dramatic as the reviewer made it sound. My kids were far more concerned about whether or not Snowy would get away from the bad guys.

The joke about the shepherd didn't use the word s3x and there's NO WAY a child would catch it unless they knew about the topic beforehand. And honestly, given the number of innuendos in Disney movies, I'm shocked that this one hint would be an issue. I do think they should've left it out, but I would not have walked out over--the kids were completely clueless.

All that said, I can see how it would be shocking for someone who was clueless about the comic books. Guess it just goes to show that you need to research movies prior to taking kids to them. Or ask the Hive:D, which is better than Googling, it seems;).

My husband and daughter saw The Muppets. Let me preface this by saying that we are HUGE Muppet fans. My husband and I used "The Rainbow Connection" in our wedding, kind of fans. They both thought the movie was fine, but nothing special.

My daughter went to see Tintin with a friend last night. It's probably worth noting that she hates the motion capture style of animation and was prepared not to like that aspect of it. However, here is the review of the film that she texted me last night:

"So, Tintin has a very easy attitude about violence. Plus, there's nothing like slow comedy and a stereotyped Scottsman to round out a trip to the Uncanny Valley."

I think it's safe to say she didn't care for it.

Of the two, I'd probably go with Muppets.

The one I really want to see, though, is Hugo.

I HATED Tin Tin. Hated it. Hated every minute of it. In the theatre we were in three families with kids left during the first hour. I wish we had, too. I believe it should have been rated PG13, not PG.

1 - Alcohol. Alcohol was a major plot point. One of the characters was drunk the entire movie. There was specific talk of being drunk, being an alcoholic, alcoholism, sober, etc. Several small subplots involved him trying to get alcohol. There was specific mention of and showing of whiskey and rum. Showing of him drinking.

2 - Violence. There is extensive use of guns, including machine guns, in this movie. Toward the beginning of the movie one character dies from bleeding out due to gunshot wounds. You see the wounds, the blood, the time it takes for him to die. Not ok in a family movie for me. There is also violence/death by swords, fire, explosion, hand to hand combat, drowning, and sharks.

3 - One particularly inappropriate joke about a man getting fired from a job as a shepard because of having sex with the animals.

I was just very disappointed because I think the movie could have been such a fun, good mystery without the alcohol and guns. I just wonder why? Why are they necessary?

:lol::lol::lol:

She is obviously someone who has never read Tintin. Imagine Captain Haddock sober! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I understand he 'reforms' at some point. If this means he becomes a teetotaler (something he does not do in the books), I will then register my loud objections.

For a comparison, here's what Common Sense Media has to say about the violence:

Quite a bit of action violence, particularly the sequences featuring the pirates. Characters use guns, and there are also explosions, swords, razors, and fires that Tintin, Snowy, and Captain Haddock must try to evade. People are shot, chased, and threatened several times throughout the adventure. Much of the action is portrayed as humorous, especially the scenes with the bumbling inspectors. One secondary character dies by gunshot, and there's a bit of blood.

The one I really want to see, though, is Hugo.
It's wonderful. However, there's no way my squirmy 7yo would have sat through it, and I think it would be over the heads of most younger children.

ETA: I wouldn't take kids 7, 5, 4, and 2 to see Tintin either.

Edited by nmoira

I have not seen TinTin, but I have seen the Muppets. I enjoyed it.

However, on another message board that I frequent someone saw TinTin and posted this review:

Curiosity questions. Did you see the preview before going to the movie.

I've seen both and with that age group I would say Muppets.

TinTin is a great movie. We loved it, but we have older boys (a tough age for watching standard cartoon fare). One thing I liked about it was that the action was such that the 11 and (almost) 13 year old could still enjoy it. It was constantly moving. For a young child, sensitive child, or particularly imaginative child a few scenes would be too much.

:lol::lol::lol:

She is obviously someone who has never read Tintin. Imagine Captain Haddock sober! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I understand he 'reforms' at some point. If this means he becomes a teetotaler (something he does not do in the books), I will then register my loud objections.

For a comparison, here's what Common Sense Media has to say about the violence:

Quite a bit of action violence, particularly the sequences featuring the pirates. Characters use guns, and there are also explosions, swords, razors, and fires that Tintin, Snowy, and Captain Haddock must try to evade. People are shot, chased, and threatened several times throughout the adventure. Much of the action is portrayed as humorous, especially the scenes with the bumbling inspectors. One secondary character dies by gunshot, and there's a bit of blood.

My son, Herge aficionado, pointed out the numerous plot changes from comic books to the movie. Despite this he felt that the movie preserved much of the spirit of the comics, incorporating a million and one petty details to satisfy fans like himself.

Great Snakes! The Tintin film is fun!

But if I were taking young children to the movies, we would see the Muppets.

I literally just got back from taking my dd5 and dd3 to Muppets. I won't say that we didn't like it but we didn't really care for it that much either. :glare:

I was looking forward to it because I have fond memories of watching the Muppet movies (and yes, the Muppet Babies cartoon) but :001_huh: I don't know. It just felt - eh.