Menu

How often do you get a new dictionary?

wy_kid_wrangler04

I got to thinking about this the other day. It seems like we just got ours, but its a 1999. It REALLY doesn't seem like we got it almost 13 years ago but apparently we did because I know it was the most recent one when we bought it. Its still in decent shape, but I know new words are added all the time. My oldest will be a high schooler next year :svengo: and that has me wondering if I should get a new one. She was just 1 when I got this one

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Rarely. Our paper dictionary is one that dh had in high school. I find we're more likely to need to look up older words. New terms we tend to look up online.

But I'm talking about a big two volume hardback. I could see getting new paperbacks. Maybe get one for your dd to use and take to college.

We just use electronic dictionaries now. So much easier to look up words. You can even get Noah Websters original online. I have one half decent one around that I got after my daughter took our old one.

I don't like the paperback ones because they never seem to have the words we're looking for, then we have to get the big one anyway. :tongue_smilie:The electronic ones always have the right words.

For a high schooler I would invest into a updated one. My favorite is a giant 1985 Webster version that would kill you if it landed on you, but we also have more inexpensive updated ones.

I would buy college level at least. My reasoning is not so much just regular words, but technology words are increasing at an exponential rate. I prefer paper reference materials over online sources, although we use both.

I plan on upgrading my thesaurus this year, dictionary next year.

I just bought a Scholastic Childrens Dictionary and Encyclopedia from GoodWill Bookstore for about 5 dollars together for my students to use regularly...hopefully this will make them more inclined to look up a word when they are reading.

We have some older collegiate dictionarys floating around also. I wouldn't buy a new dictionary just to have a new one though. The English language isn't changing thatfast, though Tech words are coming out all the time, so I might get a 2010 dictionary when I get my own place or something. But only if its on sale...

I hate to say this, but my youngest has gotten me into a habit of using the internet. Type in any word or what you think is the spelling for it and it will most likely pop up.... There are tons of dictionaries out there on the world wide web now....

I actually hate buying new dictionaries now days. My newest (don't know what year) includes words in shaded type if they are considered "politically incorrect" and gives you warnings about using them. In my mind, there's just something wrong about that... especially in a dictionary: bastion of 'words' (even though apparently now there are so many that may not be used)....

I'm thinking about getting a new one. I'm using one from 89 that my husband bought his first year in college (and never used!). I just replaced the paperback thesaurus that my father used in college (67) with a hardback. I may wait another year or two for the dictionary (this one works well enough for Latin derivatives).

I do think there's a benefit to having kids look things up in a print source. I know my son doesn't get alphabetizing practice otherwise.

You all are so much nicer than I am :lol: I rarely let her look up online unless for research. Then it is only after using a certain number of book references. The exception is if we are off on some sort of rabbit trail and want to find something out really quick. It seems like she came out of the womb understanding how to use the internet :001_huh:. Right now she is unhappy with me because when she uses the World Geography book with ECC I make her use an Almanac and not the internet. She says "do you know how much quicker I could get this done if I could use the computer" :D I just don't want to see those skills die. I know they will be eventually but I am not ready for that!!

We have a hard back Mariam-Webster. Its a hefty book and not abridged. I know we do need a good thesaurus- that is just a paperback.

My favorite is a giant 1985 Webster version that would kill you if it landed on you
:lol:

We use the monster dictionary that my DH bought when he went off to college - in 1984. DH talks about carrying it to campus for a final exam in English. I have no idea how he carried that beast of a book. It is all I can do to carry it from the bookcase to the school desk. But it is the main dictionary that we use. We did buy two new dictionaries recently - one for DS and one for the family.

But the dictionaries are all different. Each has it's own special strengths. Some have better pronunciation guides. Some have better definitions. Some have better sample sentences. Some have better word histories.

A reference library is a treasure to have. And the child who is taught WHY print versions are better in general, and which book shines for which job, is given a treasure greater than gold.

Colleges frown harshly on students who only use online research, even the neighborhood junior colleges.