Menu

Options for expired carseats?

You can trade them in at a BabiesRus event for a 25% off coupon. They generally do a trade in event in Feb/March and then again in the fall.

Good to know! We have an expired infant seat and will need a replacement in August :) All the other car seats are only 2 years old because insurance replaced them after a wreck (I had the seats, but not the kids in the car with me.)

I found in that here in the Uk several of our seats have not had any advisory that they expire or any expiry date and the manufacturer doesn'ttell you anything on their website, but then some car seats here do. It's quite confusing, shame there isn't a standard length of use on every seat.

Car seats expire??? In my state it is "recommended" that you replace them after 5 years but unless they have been in a wreck it is not illegal to use them.

Oh my gosh, YES!!! It may not be illegal to use an expired car seat, but frankly it's stupid. You may not see the plastic degrading, but it DOES.

When a carseat expires, remove the padding, cut the straps, and let DH loose on it with a sledgehammer.

Umm.. mine doesn't. But it is in the attic. I bought it 15 years ago and was planning to use it for the grandchildren.... Guess I can't????

I think the typical life is around 6 or 7 years. Hopefully, there's a carseat tech here on the board who can correct me if I'm wrong.

Watch this video.

There was a time when I didn't know either. I remember being surprised and more than a bit skeptical. In the end, I figure I'd rather err on the safe side than have my child injured because I was a cynic. Know better, do better. :)

I think the typical life is around 6 or 7 years. Hopefully, there's a carseat tech here on the board who can correct me if I'm wrong.

Watch this video.

There was a time when I didn't know either. I remember being surprised and more than a bit skeptical. In the end, I figure I'd rather err on the safe side than have my child injured because I was a cynic. Know better, do better. :)

Isn't that about the time kids stop riding in car seats anyway?

Umm.. mine doesn't. But it is in the attic. I bought it 15 years ago and was planning to use it for the grandchildren.... Guess I can't????

No, I personally would not use them any longer. Not only does the plastic degrade, but 15 years ago, car seat technology and testing weren't as advanced as they are today. I would absolutely invest in something current for the grandkids.

For some people. Others, like myself, pass down carseats from kid to kid as they get outgrown. IME, it's pretty rare that one carseat lasts a kid from infancy until they are in a seatbelt only.

They are getting better. :001_smile:

This one does go from birth till seatbelt and has a 10 yr lifespan. If I didn't already have seats I would be getting it for the new baby.

Oh my gosh, YES!!! It may not be illegal to use an expired car seat, but frankly it's stupid. You may not see the plastic degrading, but it DOES.

When a carseat expires, remove the padding, cut the straps, and let DH loose on it with a sledgehammer.

Ummm...WOW...rude much? :001_huh:

Car seats purchased 15 years may not have an expiration date on them. They may have started that afterward. But this mommy would be very upset to find her kids riding in a 15 year old car seat. I've seen the videos of what happens in just a 10 year britax (good brand) car seat in an accident. The harness rips right out of the shell!

ETA: OTOH if I had an inkling you might need to transport my kid, I'd also be asking questions/pulling the car seats out of my own car to install in yours so it would not turn into an issue because I know this is an issue that not everyone is up on the latest research with.

Edited by vonfirmath

Nope, just honest. Carseat safety is very important.

15 years ago, things were different. If the last time you bought a carseat was 15 years ago, you might not know the new standards either. Educating someone on new standards is a good thing. Telling someone their plan is stupid is very rude. Especially when the person being called stupid is obviously trying to learn something new.

I have often wondered if steel-framed seats like the Radian would even have an expiration date. The harnesses are made of the same material as seat belts, right? Those don't have an expiration date (although maybe they should, IDK).

curlylocks, please don't feel bad. Like I said, when you know better, you do better. Few people would choose to put their kids or grandkids in danger. Most just don't realize that what they're doing is dangerous. Carseat laws are notoriously vague or not strict enough, so they don't really provide a good idea of best practice.

I have often wondered if steel-framed seats like the Radian would even have an expiration date. The harnesses are made of the same material as seat belts, right? Those don't have an expiration date (although maybe they should, IDK).

curlylocks, please don't feel bad. Like I said, when you know better, you do better. Few people would choose to put their kids or grandkids in danger. Most just don't realize that what they're doing is dangerous. Carseat laws are notoriously vague or not strict enough, so they don't really provide a good idea of best practice.

I think it's the plastic that's a problem, and in a crash, a shattering plastic shell is probably quite a hazard.

Unfortunately, I've also come across quite a few people who are very dismissive of car seat safety rules, moving their kids up and out as soon as possible (or sooner), figuring that any seat is better than nothing (rather than spend the $40 for a new, certified seat), or that we rolled around the car as kids and lived to tell the tale. So it's not always a case of "know better, do better." I don't think that's the case here, but I'm often shocked at the choices people make surrounding their children's car seats :(

Really? I can't think of anything harsher than the inside of a car. Surely, you're not supposed to bring the car seat in every time you get home.

Agreed. Carseats usually stay in parked cars...in the sun...and you can bake cookies in parked cars during the summer, at least in TX. My siblings did it at least twice this past year - and not even at the height of summer.

I like the idea of cutting/removing the straps and using the old carseat as a child seat inside the house after it's expired. :)