Menu

Any of your children in gifted programs at school?

budeb

I homeschooled my son through grade 2 and then started PS for 3rd because of a family situation. He is in grade 4 now and goes to the gifted program one day a week. My problem with this is that he says the other four days he wishes he weren't so smart. On the one day that he gets challenged and is with other gifted learners he said he feels normal. On the other days in "regular" school he's bored and doesn't feel the same. He said "sometimes I wish I weren't so smart." He is not bragging . . . he really is gifted . . . and honestly wants to fit in.

I'm not a gifted learner but I am trying to understand him. I just think if he needs enrichment classes why can't there be full time enrichment instead of just one day a week. Is there some way to try and implement a full time enrichment program into a school? I noticed in a post that there are schools that have full time enrichment. Are those private schools or are there public schools that do this too?

I'm just trying to get feedback from others who have gifted learners and how you deal with their boredom at school because they just learn so quickly.

Homeschooling may be an option in the future just not now.

Thanks.

I don't have any advice other than "just homeschooling". This is going to be my oldest daughter's last year of girl scouts and other kid-activities. She just can't relate to any of the other kids and it's pretty painful to watch. She's asking to take cello and that's probably more her personality (than girl scouts).

I really wish there were more resources/advice about what to do with gifted kids. Even if you talk about it, people get offended. It's impossible to get ideas or advice.

I think when we hit the high school years, they can do internships...or start taking some college classes and then they'll have more outlets.

Also, if you get to homeschool again, he can spend more time exploring topics of interest or doing projects, etc. I wish I had more advice.

We looked at a private school for gifted children when my oldest was in kindergarten. We couldn't really afford it, and homeschooling has worked well for us. My nephew is in a full-time public magnet for gifted children, but I think that is unusual.

Would a grade skip be appropriate, if possible, for your ds? Or possibly you could get permission for him to do EPGY or something like that instead of regular math in the classroom. I have heard of people who have done that.

I have a 4th grader in the gifted program at school. She receives pull out, one day a week for two hours. The teacher is absent about once a month. It's very underwhelming.

My daughter is just a ball of bouncing energy wanting to do things. I have her in a couple of after school activities (karate and children's theatre) which helps. I also asked her teacher if she could assign her extra projects and if we could do extra on the things that were assigned (without receiving extra credit points). If my daughter is required to write a paper, she sometimes wants to do a poster or a project on the topic, for example. She was also put in charge of the school's computer lab and responsible for booting up the computers each day and she takes the time to trouble-shoot the ones that aren't working. It's not a lot extra that we can do, but it's working for now. We also after-school math and encourage lots of reading.

Good luck with everything. :)

DS is in a private school and they did a mix grade which DS is doing work 2 grades ahead cross board,

Anyhow, Since you can't HS, your answer is really what you do with him afterschool. When my pediatrician first identified DS as gifted at age of not quite 2. (He read in the Dr. office..it was a shock for all of us) She told us to make him do things that you know it will not come easy for him. DS does many different sports, instrument..etc. Just so he will learn that success has to come from hard work. and also in the sport, how to accept losing.

I was in a one day gifted program in third through fifth grades. It was SO depressing for me to see what school COULD be but only have it one day a week and two weeks during the summer (enrichment program) that I apparently expressed suicidal thoughts to multiple teachers at my regular school (we were bused for the gifted program). My mom really upped the afterschooling program (I remember her starting algebra with me when I was home sick in third grade), took 2-3 days off of work a month to pull me for field trips, etc. That did help some.

My dc went to a magnet gifted program 5 days a week in 3rd and 4th grades. The third grade program was great, the fourth was awful, but at least there were 28 kids who could commiserate about how awful it was to be so bored.

I just think if he needs enrichment classes why can't there be full time enrichment instead of just one day a week. Is there some way to try and implement a full time enrichment program into a school? .

My kids are both gifted, have been tested, and placed into the gifted program at school. Two half days in elementary, an hour daily in middle school. Not enough.

I wish there would be gifted/accelerated tracks, but, alas, in this country tracking is not wanted for political reasons.

We ended up pulling them out in 6th grade (DD) and 5th (DS) to homeschool, because they were bored, not challenged and did not learn anything at school.

ETA: A grade skip would not have improved the situation - a 6th grader working on 9th grade math will still be bored if placed in 7th grade.

If you're in an area that has charter schools I'd check into that. They often have classes according to ability vs grade level.

If not, or in the meantime, I'd speak with your child's teachers (reg and gifted). They should be able to work as a team to give more challenging work. My oldest ds was in ps K-6 and his better teachers always had him working at level. Sometimes that meant a reading group with just one other child, or he might have a basket of work he could do when his regular work was finished, he even tutored those that struggled. Third grade was probably his hardest because his teacher didn't believe "in special treatment". :glare:

Some districts do have special schools for the gifted that are full-time but unfortunately in this country they are few and far between. And if certain demographic groups are under-represented in these GATE schools, there is often political pressure to either water down admissions standards or to do away with them entirely. :(

I'm just trying to get feedback from others who have gifted learners and how you deal with their boredom at school because they just learn so quickly.

Thanks.

Have you spoken with his teacher about this? There may be things that she can do if she knows about the situation. She might be able to offer some enrichment or acceleration in the classroom. Also,talk to his gifted teacher and see what she says about the situation. She may know of other services that are available. If your ds has high scores on his testing, they are going to be more willing to work with you than if he is barely qualifying for the program that he is in, no matter how bored he is in the classroom.

You can look for full-day enrichment programs at other schools in your area. My neighborhood school does not offer that program, but there is one nearby that I have considered. Also, you might look into charter schools, if they are available in your area.

I always make sure that my dc have a book to read when they go to school. Then at least they have something to do.

I wish there would be gifted/accelerated tracks, but, alas, in this country tracking is not wanted for political reasons.

:iagree:This is so frustrating! No advice OP, our public school tried to accomodate in elementary with some success (partial enrollment) because the building principals have more control. Once you get to the middle school in this district you have no options. Homeschool has been a much better option with my youngers than trying to juggle multiple partial enrollments, and it is the only viable option for my oldest.

I guess the first place I'd start is to just inquire what kind of G/T training the G/T teacher has.

Is this person really in the loop? Do they have or are aware of outside agencies, do they attend seminars, receive literature, have resources or contacts available to you?

If the answer is no, or there was/is no special training or deeper credentials to be handling the program, you may want to do some footwork of your own.

Start joining some societies that match the interests of your child, G/T in general and start poking around. Your state should have a G/T contact in place (although there might even be one locally/district level if you are really lucky.)

There is a huge range of G/T resources out there, but you really have to hunt and qualify them, vet them to match your very specific fields and needs. They won't come looking for you for a while yet.

Meh.

Our local district does have a "gifted program". Admittance is based purely on teacher/parent recommendation. No testing other than looking at the child's math and ELA scores from the previous year. Criteria seems to be that the child be well behaved, mild mannered, people pleasing, sitting the front of the class, always raising their hand and having their work organized and completed on time.

The program mostly consists of weekly pullout for special field trips (museums, plays, etc..).

I have one niece and one nephew (both 4th grade) in our local school district. They both tested the same on last year's ELA/math tests (the niece got a 3 in math and a 4 in language, while the nephew had a 4 in math and a 3 in language).

The niece is in the gifted program. While she is a very sweet kid, she's most definitely not gifted. She just fits the above mentioned personality type and the teachers love her. My nephew on the other hand, if tested, would most likely test in the gifted range and could benefit from a gifted program. He, however, is an unmotivated, wisecracking, fidgety, unorganized, never raising his hand, doing just enough to fly under the radar type of kid....so, ya' know.

Thanks everyone for comments.

He *does* take a book along to read but his teacher has discouraged that because he doesn't participate in class discussions as much that way. I do know he is an avid reader (started at 3) and when his nose is in a book it is very hard to pull him out of it.

His "regular" school teacher is giving him enrichment math and math a grade ahead. (I know this is even too easy.) This week he figured out something new in math and she told him he shouldn't do that yet because they haven't officially learned it yet. I asked him where he learned it . . . he told me "I just know somethings mom, I don't know where it comes from."

I have yet to speak with the enrichment teacher as she is hard to get a hold of . . . not returning messages.

As I am reading your responses I think maybe I can afterschool math. What are your suggestions on that? What curriculum?

Many thanks,

Deb

PS. Maybe I will start my last question as a new thread.

I'm pretty aggressive about math. And it's not because she's good at it, but it is that she has to (and I mean HAS to) work very hard at it.

I use Khan, Singapore, ALEKS, Spectrum, MEP and manipulatives. We just picked up a sixth spine set, I think it's Math Masters? I've tried Saxon but that didn't work here. Brainstorm videos are good too. Cool Math online works quite often for us also.

My only reservation with Khan so far is that if I don't sit and guide with her, she tends to skip around the map. She'll pick up on something completely weird and not having mastered a basic completely confuses me.

I make her back it up and go sequential, but she'll still sneak. I wish they had a way to "black out or hide" the new stuff on Khan. I've asked a few other parents if they've had this problem (going out out of sequence) and they all say they do.

I homeschooled my son through grade 2 and then started PS for 3rd because of a family situation. He is in grade 4 now and goes to the gifted program one day a week. My problem with this is that he says the other four days he wishes he weren't so smart. On the one day that he gets challenged and is with other gifted learners he said he feels normal. On the other days in "regular" school he's bored and doesn't feel the same. He said "sometimes I wish I weren't so smart." He is not bragging . . . he really is gifted . . . and honestly wants to fit in.

I'm not a gifted learner but I am trying to understand him. I just think if he needs enrichment classes why can't there be full time enrichment instead of just one day a week. Is there some way to try and implement a full time enrichment program into a school? I noticed in a post that there are schools that have full time enrichment. Are those private schools or are there public schools that do this too?

Thanks.

So many nice, thoughtful responses! 2 of my 3 sons are considered "gifted" - the third one is too young to test in school district. I have lived in different states and learned that there are different standards and that not even the teachers or Principals tend to be informed on programs offered within their districts or state or even the standards needed to qualify.

I would recommend calling the district office and speaking with the one person overseeing "accerlated", "enrichment" "gifted" or "challenge" - whatever the "word" is for the program. Often it is a matter of budget on whether the program is even available. The different words can also mean very different things. I want to tell you that you might have to be both aggressive and patient. Aggressive in pursuing what programs are available to your needs BUT patient (enough), meaning that you might have to wait to get your child into the program that best suits him/her.

Sorry for the long reply, but I am not sure that you've really exhausted your search at the school level. And I know that homeschooling is not for everyone.

The state I live in now, the "enrichment" program is offered starting 2nd grade, one half day per week and the "self contained GT program" is offered from 3rd grade-5th grade with one class for each grade - imagine the competition to get it!!! There are different standards to meet to qualify for one over the other. Then for 6-8th grade the core classes are available to both those that quality for "enrichment and/or self contained GT" and is limited to a number of spots with priority given to those students who made it into the self contained program - they are guaranteed a spot at 6th grade if they choose. The difference between the word "enrichment" and "self contained" is that the enrichment is truly enrichment whereas the self contained is really an accerlated program(So, the student is still with their age appropriate peers, just doing a grade ahead or whatever).

We also have a school that is public although sponsored by a couple of math, science related companies that you have to test to get placement into. You can be any age, so long as you place. These are H.S. level courses and count on your H.S. transcripts. So you have to be aware of that. Very rigorous coursework and standards. If late, you get half off -- no giving them until the end of the quarter to turn in for full credit.

I have also seen/known individuals wherein the school has adminstered an IQ test and then placed them into the next grade. Not too much worry at earlier grades.....Just college perhaps when your student graduates at 20 and enters the workforce where the other adults discount them - personal experience here....

I get where you are coming from as I have one of these types who feels like yours and he didn't truly flourish until he started taking high school classes at 6th grade (11 y/o) and I cart him between 2 schools (gt and that math/science one). He's been in GT for awhile - but I have had to be both aggressive and patient and be available for carpools. In the meantime, for you I'd suggest looking into chess clubs either at school or throught community, book clubs run through libraries (start one yourself there) and what others have suggested. Also, I had a psychologist advise me to ask the teacher to allow my son to Help/tutor other students in class when he was done with his work. This allowed a social aspect for my child with his peers and fostered a sense of purpose and giving back for my son in the classroom setting. Usually, the smart kids don't "get" the other kids and vice versa, this might give another opportunity to do so. Good luck to you while you sort through all of this. It will be worth it, but may take a little time :001_smile:

• 1 year later...

2013 Update:  I did find out we have a full time enrichment program in my region for which my son qualified and he is thriving and loving school.  He just started his second year and it is a close to homeschooling as you can get at school.  Interest led projects where they can go deep as they want.  He has a university prof that comes in once a week to teach math . . . tons of school trips . . . public library trips because the school library isn't enough for these kids, etc.  A teacher who understands the needs of gifted students, etc. 

I really recommend this for anyone who does need to head back into the work force and can't homeschool any longer.  Check out to see what IS available through your public education.  It's really interesting that there was NOTHING available for me to find on the regional school board website.  I had to do the digging, the asking, and had to advocate for my child.  It's something that is not advertised but really was there for us as an option for my gifted son who really did need the stimulation of peers who learn as he does.

2013 Update: I did find out we have a full time enrichment program in my region for which my son qualified and he is thriving and loving school. He just started his second year and it is a close to homeschooling as you can get at school. Interest led projects where they can go deep as they want. He has a university prof that comes in once a week to teach math . . . tons of school trips . . . public library trips because the school library isn't enough for these kids, etc. A teacher who understands the needs of gifted students, etc.

I really recommend this for anyone who does need to head back into the work force and can't homeschool any longer. Check out to see what IS available through your public education. It's really interesting that there was NOTHING available for me to find on the regional school board website. I had to do the digging, the asking, and had to advocate for my child. It's something that is not advertised but really was there for us as an option for my gifted son who really did need the stimulation of peers who learn as he does.

Thanks for the update.