Menu

Vitamin D question

Did your physician give you any advice? My levels were low despite supplementing with 2000 iu for several years and living in a sunny climate. I'm also not a regular sunscreen wearer.

I can't tell you what dose *you* should take, but I take 6000iu per day now.

Many physicians will RX a 1x a week 50,000 iu dose for those who are deficient.

Are you using D3 right now? I use D3, and most people find it is preferable to supplementing with D2.

1000 iu isn't enough for many people and obviously won't reverse a deficiency.

I have been using supplements for Vitamin D (1000 units) for YEARS, so I was shocked to get some blood results back last week that reported my levels as being low -- not just low but extremely low. What are my options now????

Sandy

Increase dose and recheck. Some people take 50,000 IU for 6 weeks and re-check. You can increase sunlight.

And what do you mean by low? Do you have a number.

Sunshine, fish, and eggs.

I think the supplement industry is a racket. They don't even know if your body can absorb many of the supplements people take ....

Well, with D, you can retest after supplementation to see if your level rises. That's what is usually done with those who are D deficient.

I personally don't believe in taking a multi for example, but as I am deficient, I supplement with D. For what it is worth, I am not a daily sunscreen wearer and get sun. I was diagnosed with low D despite living in a sunny climate at the time and my levels were low coming off of summertime (would have been far worse most likely if tested in February, for example).

I do get sun, eat wild salmon and pastured eggs. I was still deficient.

I have insulin resistance and PCOS, both of which have been tied to low D levels.

Edited by Momof3littles

The average person needs 1000 IU per 25 pounds just to maintain their current level. You were dosing too low. I had a similar issue and I corrected my very low level quickly by dosing higher.

What I did and recommend you do:

An adult of any level can take up to 10,000 IU per day of D3 form (only D3) safely. So you know you're low. You dose 10,000 IU per day of D3 for a couple of months and retest. If you're ok (50 and above) you drop to maintenance dose (1000 IU per 25 pounds). If you're worried about too much take 10,000 IU for six days and then 5,000 on the seventh to stay under the 10,000 IU per day limit. I get 5,000 IU pills. I took cofactors too--magnesium and vitamin K specifically. Zinc and Boron and some A are cofactors too. Keep zinc and boron away from magnesium though and magnesium is the most important cofactor. So I just did magnesium and K.

I think this will fix your level.

Edited by sbgrace

The average person needs 1000 IU per 25 pounds just to maintain their current level. You were dosing too low.

:iagree:

Here's the info I have.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

An average-sized adult can, under normal circumstances, take 5,000 IU per day.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

Don't be concerned that 2,000-5,000 IU will give you too much. The human body can make 10,000 IU of Vitamin D in 30 minutes of sun exposure – children included – with no ill effects.

In addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D intakes up to 10,000 IU daily.

To this day, medical textbooks mention the risk of vitamin D toxicity. Yet, the scientific literature suggests that toxicity occurs only with very large intakes of vitamin D over prolonged periods (more than 10,000 IUs daily for longer than 6 months). Except in people with disorders known as granulomatosis (such as sarcoidosis or tuberculosis), little risk (if any) is associated with vitamin D supplementation.

WHO IS DEFICIENT IN D?

Most people are deficient!

• Body-mass index (BMI) and obesity

• Older people

• Dark-skinned people

• Strict vegetarians

• People with celiac, Crohn’s disease, and cystic fibrosis

• Heredity

• Certain medications

• Regular use of sunscreen

• Northern Latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)

D3 in pill form is very poorly absorbed.

Be sure to take the oil-filled gelatin capsules, and take them with a meal that contains fat to help with absorption.

If you have your D3 levels tested and you’re low, you can go up to 10,000 IU per day for a couple of months, and then re-test to see if there's improvement.

If you get your D3 levels tested, I think the ideal is to get them to levels of at least 60-70.

If it turns out that your body just doesn't absorb vitamin D very well, you may wish to talk to your doctor about whether 30 minutes of daily sun exposure in warm weather or very short tanning sessions in cold weather would be appropriate.

Maybe the quality of the product you've been using isn't as good as it could be. Or maybe it just isn't working for you.

Here's one that worked for me in the past:

NSI – Nutraceutical Sciences Institute

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitamin-D-Drops

2000 IU per drop.

Here's another that has been recommended:

Here is the link to it from my favorite source, iherb.com:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=6113980569814739786

Carlson Labs, Ddrops, Vitamin D, 2000 IU, 11 ml

We spent all summer at the pool (and I didn't wear sunscreen). I also take fish oil nearly every day and was on 2000IU every day. 5 years ago I was on Rx Vitamin D to boost my levels. Even so, I was *extremely* low in August so was put on Rx Vit D again while continuing the 2000IU daily. I'm still not to the bottom of the normal range. My dr suggested 10,000IU daily of non-Rx vitamin D3. I think it just takes a lot to get some people into the normal range. I think the plan is to test again after 3 months of my current regimen.

My kids both have low vitamin D. The first time we tested the older one was after two weeks camping and beaching and I was very surprised. On 2000iu a day for 6 months, it is even lower than it was in August. Upping D3 to 5000iu daily. She is borderline thyroid issue with Lyme disease too so I don't know how much of that could be the issue.

Little one has Lyme too, she is on 5000iu a day as well and with my Hashimoto's so am I.

I took large doses of D3 for two years in Oregon. My level never did reach the normal range. After a few months in TX (still taking supplements) my level was normal. :D

Interestingly, my hematologist/oncologist doesn't agree that vitamin D deficiency is a cause for concern. She said I could keep up with supplements if I wanted to, but she wasn't concerned either way. :confused: She went in to great detail about the flaws in the studies. I don't remember what they were though.

The average person needs 1000 IU per 25 pounds just to maintain their current level. You were dosing too low. I had a similar issue and I corrected my very low level quickly by dosing higher.

What I did and recommend you do:

An adult of any level can take up to 10,000 IU per day of D3 form (only D3) safely. So you know you're low. You dose 10,000 IU per day of D3 for a couple of months and retest. If you're ok (50 and above) you drop to maintenance dose (1000 IU per 25 pounds). If you're worried about too much take 10,000 IU for six days and then 5,000 on the seventh to stay under the 10,000 IU per day limit. I get 5,000 IU pills. I took cofactors too--magnesium and vitamin K specifically. Zinc and Boron and some A are cofactors too. Keep zinc and boron away from magnesium though and magnesium is the most important cofactor. So I just did magnesium and K.

I think this will fix your level.

:iagree:

I didn't read all teh replies, but I have struggled to get my levels for a couple of years. Eventually the Hive reported that you have to use the gel capsules and not tablets and that it needs to be D3.

When I made those changes, it was up in about 6 months time.

I was taking 6,000 IU at that point.