Menu

Pictures of the mountain lion

Yeah, I am confused too.....this cat is not living?

LOL. No this cat has been slaughtering our sheep and prowling around the kids' trampoline and swingset right by the house. For weeks, I've been having to keep the kids inside because of it. We shot it this morning.

Sorry I should have explained better. More of the story is in this morning's thread on guard dogs.

Edited by Luann in ID
added the linkl

I know it was dangerous and a menace and all, but when I first saw the pictures, I thought it was so cute, so I was sad to read that it was dead. :crying:

Of course, I'm the idiot who makes friends with all of the wild animals in the neighborhood -- scaring my dh half to death in the process most of the time, so that's probably why I was thinking that you guys had tamed it. :rolleyes:

I'm glad your kids and animals are safe now, though. I wouldn't let my ds outside if there was a mountain lion on our property, either, so I understand why you had to do what you did.

One thing, though -- is it legal to shoot them where you live? You wouldn't be allowed to do that here, so I wanted to mention it to you, because if there's any way you could get into trouble for it, you might want to take the photos offline.

One thing, though -- is it legal to shoot them where you live? You wouldn't be allowed to do that here, so I wanted to mention it to you, because if there's any way you could get into trouble for it, you might want to take the photos offline.

:iagree: My sister is a rancher and where she lives, it is illegal to shoot mountain lions. She always says, if they have to kill one, NO ONE will ever know about it.

I think it's a little odd, to be frank, that your kids would pose with big smiles with a dead animal. You made the decision to kill the animal for reasons that made sense to you, but it really is a sad occasion, isn't it? :confused:

I don't find it odd at all. Many hunters take pictures with their kill.

I think it's a little odd, to be frank, that your kids would pose with big smiles with a dead animal. You made the decision to kill the animal for reasons that made sense to you, but it really is a sad occasion, isn't it? :confused:

We're a hunting family in a hunting community, and they're used to that. The children won't be finding dead sheep all over our property (and under their trampoline) any more, and the children can play outside again. It made as much sense to all the children as it did to us.

We're a hunting family in a hunting community, and they're used to that. The children won't be finding dead sheep all over our property (and under their trampoline) any more, and the children can play outside again. It made as much sense to all the children as it did to us.

It makes sense to me that the kids would have seen it as a predator -- and realistically, they shouldn't view it in any other way, because you don't want your kids trying to make friends with mountain lions!

If it were illegal, not only would we not be posting it online, we would not be doing it.

This was all perfectly legal. In addition to the fact that it is mountain lion season here, we have all the proper licenses and tags, and we were working in cooperation with authorities.

If it were illegal, not only would we not be posting it online, we would not be doing it.

This was all perfectly legal. In addition to the fact that it is mountain lion season here, we have all the proper licenses and tags, and we were working in cooperation with authorities.

Wow, I didn't know there was even any such thing as mountain lion season. Here, there is small game season (like rabbits and pheasants) and deer season, but that's about it.

Wow, I didn't know there was even any such thing as mountain lion season. Here, there is small game season (like rabbits and pheasants) and deer season, but that's about it.

In case anyone's still wondering.

Here we have wolf, bear (black, not grizzly!), and lion season. If we didn't, we would be overrun, and there would be tremendous losses not just to ranchers, but to deer, elk, and moose populations as well.

I see.

The first house we ever bought was at the base of the mountains of Pasadena, CA. It made me very nervous. We knew there were coyotes and we saw some bobcats, but I worried about mountain lions.

We sold that house and the guy who bought it from us DID have a mountain lion come into the yard and take his 45 pound dog, clear the 4' fence with it, and run up the wash basin into the mountains.

I was so thankful we had moved. My boys were little then.

Dawn

LOL. No this cat has been slaughtering our sheep and prowling around the kids' trampoline and swingset right by the house. For weeks, I've been having to keep the kids inside because of it. We shot it this morning.

Sorry I should have explained better. More of the story is in this morning's thread on guard dogs.

Here we have wolf, bear (black, not grizzly!), and lion season. If we didn't, we would be overrun, and there would be tremendous losses not just to ranchers, but to deer, elk, and moose populations as well.

I have never lived in a rural area, so this is all very educational for me. Thanks for explaining it, Luann! :001_smile:

:svengo:

My friend, who lives 10mi west of us and on the other side of the river, has seen a few LARGE kitty cats around her house. I keep hoping the river will keep them away from us. There have been a few bobcat sightings in the area, but I think I would die and move if we had mountain lions anywhere near us!

Yes, that is a pretty kitty, but it would not look as cute dragging away one of your kids.

LuAnn,

You all are so amazingly brave. Our state has had many sightings, but no one in government will acknowledge that they're really here (albeit not in great numbers). In fact, I think there was actual proof of one here, but it was said to have been an isolated incident. Yeah. Right.

I've had *nightmares* about finding out we have a mountain lion prowling in our woods. Nightmares. I cannot imagine living it. And wolves and bears. (Actually, we've seen bear scat a few miles away, but we prefer to pretend we didn't. Heh.)

I remember back when I used to live in a moutain town (was on a plateau surrounded by mountains) when my oldest 2 were just toddlers there was often moutian lions in town. It seemed every other week there was a newspaper article about the most recent sighting. You know in the front of phone books how it has pages of emergency procedures? This town had a page dedicated to what to do in a cougar/mountain lion attack. We had bears in the back yard etc too. Beautiful place to live but something we always had to be aware of.

It's so funny how different environments change things for people.

I live in the city, so Mountain Lion!! is something I would actually pay money for my kids to see, but I understand how in your neck of the (actual) woods they are a threat, not a tourist attraction.

But seriously, you could create a homeschool tourism business where city kids fly in and stay at your B&B and see your bears/wolves/cougars in the Wild. :)