Menu

Help me love my Vitamix!

I've been wanting a Vitamix for years, and the other day I bought one after watching a demo at Costco (Merry Christmas to me! :tongue_smilie:). I was so excited, and everything the guy made during the demo was so delicious! Unfortunately, the first few things DH and I made involved a lot of carrots and apples (we're used to juicing), and they were so thick and pasty we were both kind of grossed out :(

So I need some awesome Vitamix recipes, preferably that don't involve dairy. Juice, smoothies, soups--what do you make that you love? Do you have a source for recipe inspiration? This is new to us, but I'm still trying to be excited!

TIA!

Did you not get a recipe book? It's supposed to come with an amazing recipe book and DVD. If you didn't get it, you should call the company.

I love the tortilla soup. You take three roma tomatoes, a carrot, a wedge of cabbage, a thick (2" or so) slice of zucchini or yellow squash, a sliver of onion, 3 cups of boiling water or chicken broth, a tablespoon of chicken base if you did the water and some taco seasoning. I just make my own, I think it's about a half tsp each of salt and chili powder plus a pinch of oregano and some black pepper and a few dashes of paprika. Then you puree that on high for 5 minutes or so. Then you turn the speed down and you can add a can of black beans or some corn and a cooked chicken breast or some tortilla chips.

I usually do apple juice for sweetener, about 2 cups. Then a bunch of spinach. Then I puree that on high til the spinach is liquified. Then I add two bananas and some frozen fruit. Costco here sells a blend of frozen strawberries, pineapple, mango, and papaya.

DH likes to make one with three oranges, a carrot, two bananas and the frozen fruit blend.

I also love the peanut butter and hummus. For the peanut butter you just use 3 cups roasted peanuts and puree it on high (must use the tamper for that one). The hummus I used was from the recipe book, I can't remember it off the top of my head. I tried making the almond milk once, it was beyond nasty.

The BEST broccoli soup is just made with broccoli, water, and salt.

Simmer the broccoli in a little water and salt, then puree til smooth and serve hot. I was skeptical the first time I made this, but it is so easy and so creamy and good. I do this with a regular blender. Maybe the vitamix people can cook the ingredients in the blender and skip the simmering part?

I'm gonna make "Nutella" with mine

Homemade Nutella (someone's... don't know whose:()

1 cup hazelnuts

1/2 cup cocoa powder

5 TBS agave nectar (to taste)

1 TBS Vanilla Extract

1 TBS Hazelnut Oil (I'm going to use coconut)

Pinch of Celtic Seasalt

Roast the Hazelnuts at 350° for 8-10 minutes and smell fragrant. Transfer the hazelnuts to a towel and rub off the kinds if you can.

In a food processor (I'm using my Vitamix) grind the hazelnuts to a smooth butter, about 5 minutes, scraping the sides as needed. Add the cocoa, agave, vanilla, oil and salt and process until blended. (about a minute)

Stor in the fridge; bring to room temp before using/serving.

Edited by NayfiesMama
1/2 cup cocoa :)

I'm gonna make "Nutella" with mine

Homemade Nutella (someone's... don't know whose:()

1 cup hazelnuts

1/ cup cocoa powder

5 TBS agave nectar (to taste)

1 TBS Vanilla Extract

1 TBS Hazelnut Oil (I'm going to use coconut)

Pinch of Celtic Seasalt

Roast the Hazelnuts at 350° for 8-10 minutes and smell fragrant. Transfer the hazelnuts to a towel and rub off the kinds if you can.

In a food processor (I'm using my Vitamix) grind the hazelnuts to a smooth butter, about 5 minutes, scraping the sides as needed. Add the cocoa, agave, vanilla, oil and salt and process until blended. (about a minute)

Stor in the fridge; bring to room temp before using/serving.

OK, you win!!! :tongue_smilie:

Thank you everyone. I did track down the cookbook (DH had removed it to fiddle with the insides), and I completely forgot that the guy gave me his email address! I'll get to him right away. I definitely want to make that tortilla soup again, and the broccoli soup sounds good too.

This thing is sitting in front of me, taunting me :lol: I need to get to the grocery store today!

Thanks for all the advice, I can't wait to get it going again.

Here's a kid-friendly green smoothie that we make regularly:

1 cup of milk

1 small banana. We keep frozen on hand for this.

a handful of ice

a squirt of honey (2 teaspoons, maybe?)

a dash of cinnamon. Not too much.

a handful of baby spinach. About 2/3 cup, but can alter to taste. It does NOT taste of spinach at all.

Blend. Makes a nice healthy breakfast.

Coconut water

Kale

Pineapple

Blueberry

That makes a wonderful green smoothie.:)

Here's a kid-friendly green smoothie that we make regularly:

1 cup of milk

1 small banana. We keep frozen on hand for this.

a handful of ice

a squirt of honey (2 teaspoons, maybe?)

a dash of cinnamon. Not too much.

a handful of baby spinach. About 2/3 cup, but can alter to taste. It does NOT taste of spinach at all.

Blend. Makes a nice healthy breakfast.

Thanks! I meant to grab the coconut water when we were at the store this morning and forgot.

I did make a raspberry/strawberry/blackberry/blueberry/banana smoothie this morning, and I added half an avocado, a handful of spinach, and some pomegranate juice. Three of us liked it, one did not. But she's not a big fan of smoothies anyway.

If anyone has any others to add, I'm :bigear:!

Okay... if you are used to juicing, do not REPLACE your juicing with VM... it is not the same.

I love making smoothies (frozen fruit of choice, pineapple sorbet/sherbert OJ, sometimes fresh spinach or carrots) Turn on at level one move quickly through speeds until FULL speed... enjoy! This is a staple if anyone seems under the weather or if we are HOT from summer!

I like the potato soup recipe (dairy free with coconut or soy milk).

Frozen strawberry daquires (with whole strawberries and no ice) as well as FONDU have converted many a guest away from their 39 dollar blender. :-)

Also, there is a recipe for strawberry ice cream that is NOT dairy free, but is delicious and F A S T!!!

We also love the tortilla soup. After you make this a time or two you'll see you can do lots of different veggies and it still makes a delicious soup.

I make a strawberry syrup for pancakes that is super easy.

I like this crustless pecan pie a lot. http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/gluten_free_blender_pecan_pie/

I have made cheese sauce for a quick mac and cheese for my little one.

We make almond milk all the time, but you do need to get a nut milk bag. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nut-Milk-Bag--New-Improved/dp/B00158U8DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323105976&sr=8-1

Salad Dressings, Mayo, etc.

I also have the dry blade and use it to grind my wheat berries. I can make a whole wheat loaf of bread from grinding the wheat to out of the oven in under an hour.