Menu

Hi all!

I have a quick question for you regarding dance classes. My 6 year old is in her second year of "Dance Fundamentals" at a local dance studio. She's having a blast, we love the teacher, everything is cool. We always set aside a bit of our Christmas bonus to pay for classes, which is why I'm asking now about classes for next year . . . already! :D

If you had to choose a class for an active, wiggly, bouncy child would you pick Ballet I or Irish Dance? She wants to do both, which we can't afford, so we have to chose one. I LOVE Irish Dance so I'd be tickled pink if she took that. But at the same time I understand that a lot of really important, early basics would be learned in Ballet I. Of course, she could pick up those skills later, but then she'd be by far the oldest in her class, which is mainly made up of the younger set. While Irish Dance is a wide range of ages.

Which would you choose?

Irish has a huge financial obligation, what with costumes and whatnot, and a huge time obligation, what with competitions and whatnot. If you're prepared for both, then I say go Irish. :-)

She can always do ballet later.

My dd did Scottish Highland dance for 9 years. I let her take ballet, thinking it would help her Highland, and ballet sucked her away. She's a ballet teacher today. :D Turns out that Highland actually helped her ballet. :lol:

Irish has a huge financial obligation, what with costumes and whatnot, and a huge time obligation, what with competitions and whatnot.

Thanks, I did not know this.

Our instructor intentionally keeps things low key with dance costumes, recitals and such. This studio is really more focused on a fun learning experience rather than hard core, intense training (it's more Parks and Rec baseball vs. Little League as an example). But I'll talk to the Irish teacher to find out what all is involved money wise.

Gosh! Those Irish Dancers are something else though!

I just had a convo last night with one of our dance teachers about the *ideal* age for a child to begin dancing. She said that while she loves the classes for the little ones, that the key time seems to be 6-8. It's during that time that the dancer really seems to come out of their shell and they start to understand what it is they are asking their body to do.

I mention that because it sounds like an ideal time for you to try something new and see how it goes. You can always come back to ballet next year if the Irish isn't a good fit- and maybe by then you can afford two classes, and you won't have to make a choice.

Thanks, I did not know this.

Our instructor intentionally keeps things low key with dance costumes, recitals and such. This studio is really more focused on a fun learning experience rather than hard core, intense training (it's more Parks and Rec baseball vs. Little League as an example). But I'll talk to the Irish teacher to find out what all is involved money wise.

Gosh! Those Irish Dancers are something else though!

Here's the thing, though: If your dd loves Irish, and she has any natural skill, the parks & rec approach will not be enough. You don't want to hold her back. I've seen that in ballet and in Highland.:)

Not sure what Ellie means about a "huge" fianancial obligation. It is no different then any other class your daughter would take. My 19 yo has been dancing since she has been 3 yo, and currently teaches all forms of dance including acro. Your biggest investement is the shoes.

Competitions are not mandatory. Or at least, they shouldn't be. In our studio, they perform at local events. The costumes always consist of a green Christmas like dress.

In our studio we have competition classes. You have to audition for them.

On a side note, I have to add that Ballet is the foundation for all dance. I know you said you can't afford both, but I have to highly suggest she take Ballet to get her formation and dance moves correct.

In our studio, if you are on any competition team, ballet is mandatory. But, the teacher does not charge for that class because it IS madatory. It is only a half hour class every other week.

You really have to do your research on dance studios. Some are really in it to make a buck off of you, then you get your studios(like ours) where the teachers really care about dance, wants the kids to have fun and do their best, but not have the parents have to remortgage the house.

At one time,(for the past 10 years at this studio) my 19 yo was taking 7 classes plus a solo. And it was completely affordable.

I just had a convo last night with one of our dance teachers about the *ideal* age for a child to begin dancing. She said that while she loves the classes for the little ones, that the key time seems to be 6-8. It's during that time that the dancer really seems to come out of their shell and they start to understand what it is they are asking their body to do.

I mention that because it sounds like an ideal time for you to try something new and see how it goes. You can always come back to ballet next year if the Irish isn't a good fit- and maybe by then you can afford two classes, and you won't have to make a choice.

I don't agree with this. The ideal age is around 3 yo. It teaches the little ones to work as a team, listening skills, practice fine and gross motor skills, and get the basics down.

We have a 4 yo girl who can tap like there is no tomorrow.

If you wait until a child is 7 or 8, ballet is ALOT harder as they have not been conditioned, and trying to get on a senior competition team is a lot harder.

Granted, this is only if you think your child is going to be serious about dance. Mine was. And I am very glad we started her young.

ETA: I do agree that a child should NOT do any kind of Lyrical dance(or modern) until they are at least 10. They are much to young to understand the lyrics of a song and portray a dance to it. And they should have at least 3-5 years of jazz/ballet under their belt.

Edited by dancer67

I don't agree with this. The ideal age is around 3 yo. It teaches the little ones to work as a team, listening skills, practice fine and gross motor skills, and get the basics down.

I'm a dance mom of 3 girls on performing lines. I agree; if you want your child to do well at dance and possibly participate in performing lines or competitions, then younger is better. The older the child is when they join dance, the further behind they are relative to the other kids. My 7 yr olds are as good as the others on their line. My 13 yr old started dance at 10 and will never be on par with those who danced since they were very young.

Ballet is the foundation of all dance. What you do foresee for your daughter in the future? Dance as a passion? Or dance as an activity that will be exchanged for soccer, softball, etc? If the former, then do ballet. If you think dance is but a passing fancy, then consider Irish Dance.

What does your daughter want to do?

Edited by Sandsam

Ballet is the foundation of all dance. What you do foresee for your daughter in the future? Dance as a passion? Or dance as an activity that will be exchanged for soccer, softball, etc? If the former, then do ballet. If you think dance is but a passing fancy, then consider Irish Dance.

What does your daughter want to do?

Dance has been one of those activities we've thrown out there to see what "sticks." We tried soccer first and she plainly informed us that it was not her thing. Swim was the same way, she liked the free play in the splash pad area but clung anxiously to the side of the pool during actual lessons.

She seems to really enjoy dance but at this age I think it's more the frilly pink dress up, watching herself in a mirror, twirling with the other girls kind of enjoyment. I don't get a sense that it's an all encompassing passion. That's why we're taking the low key approach right now. There are some really fabulous, very expensive studios in our town, and if she ever expressed a real strong drive, we would make those classes work. I just want to make very, very sure that it's something SHE wants and that it's not pressure from Mommy. I'm aiming for supportive, not pushy.

Also, she's built like a foal, all skinny knees and elbows, so it's been good for her coordination and balance. And she's made some nice friends so socially it's healthy for her too.

Not sure what Ellie means about a "huge" fianancial obligation. It is no different then any other class your daughter would take. My 19 yo has been dancing since she has been 3 yo, and currently teaches all forms of dance including acro. Your biggest investement is the shoes.

Does your dd do Irish step dancing? It's the costumes that are expensive, as well as the shoes.

In schools which do exclusively Irish step dancing, it's all about the competitions.

Here's a web site that would be helpful for people considering Irish step dance.

I would just have her pick. My boys are young, but one does ballet and one does modern. They're both in places where, if they want to, they have the opportunity to be serious about it later... but they're young. It may always just be for fun, in which case, I think it's better for the kid to choose.

Does your dd do Irish step dancing? It's the costumes that are expensive, as well as the shoes.

In schools which do exclusively Irish step dancing, it's all about the competitions.

Here's a web site that would be helpful for people considering Irish step dance.

:iagree:

My rambling commentary (I didn't look at the link):

My kids were in Irish Dance for 4 years, in classes taught by a TCRG. That meant they could compete. And, let me tell you, kids who compete are AMAZING dancers -- they look professional at about age 12. And there are thousands upon thousands of them out there competing, honing their skills -- if the dream is to one day be in Riverdance, expect to work up to competing in Worlds (a girl in our school competed in Worlds for several years before taking a year off college to tour in the chorus - yes, the chorus, not a principal even after all of that time and money spent - of Lord of the Dance last year). The costumes cost thousands. Decent ghillies (the soft shoes) are $80. The hard shoes are about $150.

Also, Irish Dance does NOT TEACH FUNDAMENTALS. The kids are told to turn out, but not taken through the stages of development of turn-out muscles. One of my dds is now in a Vaganova ballet class, and, wow, it's so cool to see attention paid to the physiology and development. It irked me greatly that our Irish Dance classes didn't offer that -- you had to figure it out on your own. (Of course, then the ballet teacher is saying things like "you must bend your knees to leap and land" and the TCRG and competition adjuticators are going to score you off for bending your knees; plus the whole business with using your arms ....) At age 12 you can go on point on your hard shoes , which have no support built in them.

Bottom line: good ballet student could someday perform in a show adequately as an Irish Dancer. But a good Irish Dance student only knows how to do Irish Dance -- it leads no where else. Which is why we eventually quit.

Ballet will give you more options. Go with it first.

Edited to add: Dd just pointed out that Irish Dance taught her how to stand up straight, which is apparently beyond a lot of kids in her ballet class. Also, if she is supposed to only move her left leg in a certain way, then only her left leg moves in that way, while the rest of her body remains still. It's just what you do it ID.

Edited by GailV

Since you're not panicked about grooming a competition dancer or prima ballerina, I'd let her choose what she wants. Maybe she'll love it, but maybe she'll want to try the other one over the summer or next year. Dance can be a lifelong exercise even if the child never gets in to high-pressure ballet. If she gets serious later, it will be obvious and you won't have to push.

That said, if the step classes require those awful wigs I'd run. At some point the Irish step community will realize that those wigs were a horrible experiment and abandon them. Until then, it's best to hide.

Not only does she DO Irish, she teaches it:D

The costumes are NOT expensive. No more then your average recital costume. If you are spending hundreds of dollars on Irish costumes,then you are in a studio that is raking you over the coals just looking for money.

My daughters Irish team spent $60.00 on their costumes. And they used it all year. For shows, competition AND recital.

Buying Irish shoes comes with the territory. Just like Pointe shoes, they need to be specific, and measured properly, and precisely. They can run anywhere from 50.00 to 100.00.

But tap shoes are just as expensive.

I have been in dance for YEARS. I danced as a kid, and still do. Been in the dance world for like, ever.

I am still dancing as an adult. Love it.

i think what i'm hearing op say is that this is for fun, balance, social, etc.

they have not picked a competition studio, so the costs will stay lower and it will be more fun.

i would say she should do what she loves. ballet is lovely. irish is lovely. could you watch some things on youtube and have her choose?

neither is likely to cost a huge amount in the early years. that changes if they become dancers.

if there is a possibility that she might want to continue more seriously, she should likely pick up ballet either this year or next.

we have 4 dds. they all dance/ed.

first one is now 28, and does performance scottish country and highland dance. she did ballet, tap and highland starting at age 3. many studios make it less expensive to take each additional class (eg. first class might be $50, second would be an additional 45, third an additional 40...). she picked up irish in high school, and scottish country at university.

second dd is now 25. she did ballet and tap, tried highland, and then just did ballet. she doesn't dance currently.

third dd started ballet and tap at age 3. she is now 13 and dances on pointe, and ballet etc, etc..... about 12 hours a week. pointe shoes are expensive; she loves them.

fourth dd started ballet and tap at age 2. she is now 11, dances 8 hours a week, and loves ballet, tap, lyrical and jazz.

the last two are in their studio's performing company, and both would do scottish and irish if it weren't an hour's drive each way.

enjoy!

ann

At six years old, do whatever makes her happy.

With that said, ballet really is the foundation for dance. My girls have always attended a school affiliated with a professional ballet company. So now at 13 they have potential to pursue classical ballet professionally, if they so choose.

I always tell people that any dance school is good for the earlier years but if your dancer has serious desire and/or talent for classical ballet you need to find a school that teaches proper ballet technique by 7 or 8 years old. The foundation starts that young.

At 6, just make sure you are comfortable with the style of dance and costume choices the studio makes then let her do what she enjoys.

Competitions are not mandatory. Or at least, they shouldn't be. In our studio, they perform at local events. The costumes always consist of a green Christmas like dress.

In our studio we have competition classes. You have to audition for them.

On a side note, I have to add that Ballet is the foundation for all dance. I know you said you can't afford both, but I have to highly suggest she take Ballet to get her formation and dance moves correct.

In our studio, if you are on any competition team, ballet is mandatory. But, the teacher does not charge for that class because it IS madatory. It is only a half hour class every other week.

You really have to do your research on dance studios. Some are really in it to make a buck off of you, then you get your studios(like ours) where the teachers really care about dance, wants the kids to have fun and do their best, but not have the parents have to remortgage the house.

At one time,(for the past 10 years at this studio) my 19 yo was taking 7 classes plus a solo. And it was completely affordable.

Good Irish Shoes are over $100 a pair, you can get ballet shoes for $15 if you know where to shop. Even pointe shoes are around $60 a pair (if you dance that long).

And I would advise that you find a studio that offers/requires for than 30 minutes of ballet every other week. I struggle to fit a decent barre set into 30 minutes. An hour is the minimum a student over 8 should be doing a week.

Kids do gain a lot in a dance class between 2 and 7, but a student can begin a 16 and become a professional dancer. I have had many students start ballet at 10 or older and they have become beautiful dancers who have gone on to dance professionally. I currently have a student who began last year, at 16; if she wanted, she could become a professional dancer. She, however, wants to dance for fun and so only takes one class a week. Don't be intimidated by an age issue. It is easier to start younger, but not a complete limit.

So, if you want to try Irish for a year, she won't be that far behind. I will say that I have a beautiful dancer who studied Irish for years with no ballet training. She came to me as a beautiful performer with no technique and horrible knee and hip problems from turning out and other things without proper instruction.

:iagree:I have seen cheap, used Irish costumes go for $500!

I have been teaching dance for 13 years, and I have danced for 29; ballet is the most important thing your DD can take. At 6, you could find her a combo class (ballet and tap is best). Kids are okay in a combo class until 8. These will generally be 1-1.5 hours per week half ballet and half tap. Emphasis is placed on basic ballet technique (posture, straight legs, pointed toes) while learning many new steps. The tap part of class helps develop a sense of rhythm, precision, and teamwork.

I would pick ballet over Irish, but ballet is what I do :D

In either case you want to be sure your instructor watches for the following MAJOR technical issues that can lead to injury:

1. Lordic posture (arching of the lower back due to inactive ab (core) muscles.

2. Knees should be pressing out over toes when in plie (you don't want your knees facing forward while your toes are turned out.) This can lead to horrible knee and hip problems.

3. Heels touch the floor in between jumps.

4. She releves straight over the center of her foot. All 5 toes should be on the ground at all times.

I did NOT have good instruction as a young dancer. It was not until high school that I had a teacher start to correct theses problems. I now suffer from lower back pain, Achilles tendinitis, and bad knees. PLEASE pay attention to whether her teacher corrects things like these!

I have seen cheap, used Irish costumes go for $500!

Where? So we know where to stay away from!!!!! Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, have we spent that much money on ANY dance costume. Especially Irish.

We have a school here that only does Irish. They compete, and are very good. I happen to be talking to one of the mom's one day to get a comparison as to what it costs for classes/costumes/shoes.

She told me that their studio does basically the same as ours. They use green Irish "christmas" like dresses, and no more then $100.00. And, they use it for a full year.

If anyone spends $500.00 on a "good used" Irish costume, you are being rooked. BIG TIME.:glare:

I've seen some PRICEY looking costumes onstage for Irish Dance. Now, I don't DO this dance, but when you do "International Festival" gigs, it's not unusual for the bellydancers to run into the Irish dancers, the Kung Fu dragon people, etc . . . Anyway, these costumes are so intricately stitched, and they get more elaborate as the dancers get older and more accomplished. I'm not surprised that they have an enormous price tag. Now, this circuit involves paid gigs, so maybe it's worth it eventually? However, when the bellydancers think your costume looks lavish and expensive you have a problem! (I'm happy to report that this particular school wasn't wearing the horrid wigs.)

Where? So we know where to stay away from!!!!! Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, have we spent that much money on ANY dance costume. Especially Irish.

We have a school here that only does Irish. They compete, and are very good. I happen to be talking to one of the mom's one day to get a comparison as to what it costs for classes/costumes/shoes.u

She told me that their studio does basically the same as ours. They use green Irish "christmas" like dresses, and no more then $100.00. And, they use it for a full year.

If anyone spends $500.00 on a "good used" Irish costume, you are being rooked. BIG TIME.:glare:

I don't do Irish, but have friends who own studios. They are generally handmade and Incrediably intricate. Lots of bead work! It may include the wigs.

I've seen some PRICEY looking costumes onstage for Irish Dance. Now, I don't DO this dance, but when you do "International Festival" gigs, it's not unusual for the bellydancers to run into the Irish dancers, the Kung Fu dragon people, etc . . . Anyway, these costumes are so intricately stitched, and they get more elaborate as the dancers get older and more accomplished. I'm not surprised that they have an enormous price tag. Now, this circuit involves paid gigs, so maybe it's worth it eventually? However, when the bellydancers think your costume looks lavish and expensive you have a problem! (I'm happy to report that this particular school wasn't wearing the horrid wigs.)