Menu

Anyone else ditch their laptops for an iPad?

We had laptops for the kids, but decided this fall to switch them all to iPads. I was concerned at first but now we're loving it.

We bought them all wireless keyboards so they can still type just as easily as on a regular computer. Once dh showed me Pages (like Microsoft Word) and Keynote (like PowerPoint) I was sold. It's amazing to see the kinds of reports and presentations the kids can put together on their iPads. They can use them for all of their schooling except for software that is on CD or DVD (and for that they just use our kitchen computer).

We have the Discovery Streaming app so they can watch their videos, we've just started using Math Mammoth so their curriculum is on the iPad and I've found some amazing educational apps for everything from music theory to math facts. Ds (9) was using the Dragon Speak dictation app yesterday to do a narration. We're able to have audio books and ebooks on them and much, much more. It seems like I find a new use for the iPad every day.

I'm finding that the kids get way more use out of their iPads than their laptops (which we've now donated to the church).

I was reading through some of the past iPad threads and was surprised at how many people said they didn't like them because of the touch screen keyboard (there are lots of different types of keyboards available - you just go out and buy one, like you would for a regular computer) and how many people have said that they're not really useful for substantial work. I've been trying to figure out exactly what the kids wouldn't be able to do on their iPads when it comes to day-to-day school work. For regular stuff (writing essays and reports, doing power point presentations, etc.) the iPad is more than sufficient.

My iPad is on its way, and I'm curious if I find I use it more than my laptop. I didn't buy a keyboard, and that might be what makes the difference.

What kind of case or sleeve do you have for your kids' iPads to protect them?

I can't remember what their case is called, but the iPad slips into it and then the cover closes over it like a book. There's a pocket on the cover where they store their headphones and stylus. I bought it at Future Shop.

I bought myself the Zagg cover/keyboard. It's metal and fits over my ipad like a lid. Then I can take the ipad out, turn the cover over and it's a keyboard on one side, then I put the iPad in the slot and it's like working on a laptop.

I figured the kids wouldn't use the keyboards much (and I wanted a case that protected it while they used it) so I bought them bigger wireless keyboards. We have desks in their room and their keyboards sit in the keyboard tray of their desks. The cases we bought allow them to have the iPad propped up like a screen, so they just put it on the desk and they're all set up. I love not having to plug cords in.

I had a laptop that I used for everything before getting my iPad but I don't miss it at all.

Thanks for sharing your experience! DS13 really wanted to ditch his laptop when he got his iPad 2 in April. However, he has not been able to do this. Despite getting a nice wireless keyboard and Pages and Numbers, there are several PC applications that are holding him back:

- Spelling Made Simple: This is the application he uses for competitive spelling training. There is a iPad application available, but it is it does not meet his needs the way the PC version does. (This issue will go away next spring since this is his last year of eligibility.)

- Steam: (Not school related) Steam is a PC video game server. This is PC only. Several of his favorite games are on Steam.

- No wireless printer: This could be easily resolved by getting a wireless or networked printer, but I haven't done it yet.

- Rosetta Stone: Frankly, I have not been thrilled with this product, but it is what we have. Others here have suggested language programs for the iPad here. iStart Spanish! looks very nice! I would consider switching.

- We're not sure that we want the distractions of the iPad in front of them all day long.

Really, that is not much at all except perhaps the last item. All of the younger children will have iPads after Christmas. They all use Spelling Made Simple, but the younger ones are at a level where the iPad version should suffice. I'm not sure MomsintheGarden would want to switch in the middle of the school year, but we will probably talk about it. If the laptops start having technical problems, then that may force our hands.

I guess I feel it is inevitable.

For the dictation app, Dragonspeak, do you need to have the Ipad2?

How big would you recommend getting 16, 32, 64?

Wanting to get ipads eventually.

I'm not sure if you need the iPad 2 for that app or not...

I have the 64 and the kids have the 16. How much space you need depends on what you want to keep there. I wish I had bought the kids the 32 - 16 can get a little tight. However, I'm pretty good about syncing their iPads regularly. That way I can put on new videos for them to watch (our Discovery Streaming only works at home because we don't have 3G, so I'll often convert the videos to iTunes and then sync them) and switch up the apps a little.

Thanks for sharing your experience! DS13 really wanted to ditch his laptop when he got his iPad 2 in April. However, he has not been able to do this. Despite getting a nice wireless keyboard and Pages and Numbers, there are several PC applications that are holding him back:

- Spelling Made Simple: This is the application he uses for competitive spelling training. There is a iPad application available, but it is it does not meet his needs the way the PC version does. (This issue will go away next spring since this is his last year of eligibility.)

- Steam: (Not school related) Steam is a PC video game server. This is PC only. Several of his favorite games are on Steam.

- No wireless printer: This could be easily resolved by getting a wireless or networked printer, but I haven't done it yet.

- Rosetta Stone: Frankly, I have not been thrilled with this product, but it is what we have. Others here have suggested language programs for the iPad here. iStart Spanish! looks very nice! I would consider switching.

- We're not sure that we want the distractions of the iPad in front of them all day long.

Really, that is not much at all except perhaps the last item. All of the younger children will have iPads after Christmas. They all use Spelling Made Simple, but the younger ones are at a level where the iPad version should suffice. I'm not sure MomsintheGarden would want to switch in the middle of the school year, but we will probably talk about it. If the laptops start having technical problems, then that may force our hands.

I guess I feel it is inevitable.

We knew there would likely be the odd program that we'd want that would not work on the iPad - the kids' old Singapore Math CD-roms are one thing I can think of, oh, and Music Ace as well. We have a central computer in the kitchen that is available for anyone to use and that seems to have solved the issue.

I bought myself the Zagg cover/keyboard. It's metal and fits over my ipad like a lid. Then I can take the ipad out, turn the cover over and it's a keyboard on one side, then I put the iPad in the slot and it's like working on a laptop.
That's the case my son has. It's very nice!
I can't remember what their case is called, but the iPad slips into it and then the cover closes over it like a book. There's a pocket on the cover where they store their headphones and stylus. I bought it at Future Shop.
I was not able to find this kind of keyboard case with two shift keys. I do not want the children typing with a single shift key. If your cases have two shift keys, can you please post details on it? Or perhaps they have cases without keyboards and just use separate keyboards? Edited by RegGuheert

I'm not sure if you need the iPad 2 for that app or not...

I have the 64 and the kids have the 16. How much space you need depends on what you want to keep there. I wish I had bought the kids the 32 - 16 can get a little tight. However, I'm pretty good about syncing their iPads regularly. That way I can put on new videos for them to watch (our Discovery Streaming only works at home because we don't have 3G, so I'll often convert the videos to iTunes and then sync them) and switch up the apps a little.

How hard is converting videos to itunes?

:bigear:

And do you do it using a Mac or a PC?

We use a program called Cucusoft. It's really easy, you just open the video in cucusoft and hit "convert". Then I go into iTunes and import the file.

Dh has done something techy that makes it even easier, but I don't understand how he did it so I won't try to explain it.

We imported all of our current DVDs that way and I import any Discovery Streaming videos that I want on the iPads.

I just got my Ipad2 (64) as an early Christmas gift TODAY! I am so overwhelmed right now. As in lost. Totally. I would really like to use this as a laptop, but I know there's going to be quite a learning curve. I'm hoping it won't be too steep.

So...what are the apps I HAVE to have? :bigear:

I just got my Ipad2 (64) as an early Christmas gift TODAY! I am so overwhelmed right now. As in lost. Totally. I would really like to use this as a laptop, but I know there's going to be quite a learning curve. I'm hoping it won't be too steep.

Pages and Keynote to start with.

Oh, and the FB app if you're on FB. Check your newspapers - many will have FB apps for free. Get your email all set up. If you're on Netflix you can get that app. I like Pepper Plate for meal planning. MapTrek (for Knowledge Quest ancient maps) and Wonders of Old Ancient Timeline are pretty cool. I have the Olive Tree Bible app. Goodreads lets me track the books I read.

I'm just getting into the whole homeschool curriculum on PDF thing. I've got two of the kids using Math Mammoth and I just purchased Writing with Skill.

I think the question you have to ask first is what are the things you did on your laptop that you'd like to be able to do on the iPad? Then go from there.

I'm trying to choose a Chore tracker app and an allowance tracker app as those are two areas I want to be better organized at and there are some fantastic apps out there.

Do a tag search for 'ios apps' or 'ipad apps' to read lots of recommendations.

You can also do a regular search for 'notability' for PDF annotation. There are a couple of threads here including one in which one of the developers joined in our discussion. It looks like they are listening to feedback from here, so there are improvements coming.

Enjoy your new toy!

I went to the Verizon store at the Mall today and found I am eligible to upgrade my netbook in December. I am seriously considing a tablet but I am torn.

Can a tablet do everything a netbook can? All I do on the netbook is browsing, a few word type things like letters, grocery lists... homeschool planning, a bit of shopping, a lot of google+ and facebook, and youtube type stuff.

I DO have a desktop, but it is older and I don't use it alot. Maybe 10% of the time. My younger kids use it far more than I do.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am having fun with it!

A quick question for those in the know....is there an app that would allow me to work in Mircrosoft Word on an Ipad??

Oh, and Reg? I just noticed that you are a "Hive Mind Queen Bee". :D

You can use an app called documents to go which is 9.99 to access and edit Microsoft office files. You will also want to check out Dropbox which is an app for moving files between your computer and the iPad.

Thank you so much for the thread! I think the fix on my laptop will be small (I'm gonna take it tomorrow); but I know it won't last forever either. I thought about an iPad but wondered if I could do my schoolwork on it easily. I love that the little kids would find it easier to handle (I have a 17inch screen on my laptop). I also wondered if I am just too much of a Texas girl (everything is bigger in Texas) though. My laptop has a 17inch screen and when we had a desktop, it had a 22 or 27 or something like that.

Anyway, hmmmmm.....

Without a CD/DVD drive, it's not an option for us. Too much of our school is supplemented/driven by DVDs (DS is using BJU's DVD program this year) to not have one.

I have laptop and DH has an iPad. I have no desire to switch to an iPad. One problem I see is that I use my laptop on my lap, and it's very comfortable. I don't see how I could do that with a separate screen and keyboard. I also use Homeschool Tracker, so I have to have something I can run Windows on (my laptop is a Mac).

The iPad is great, and I think the way technology is moving, but it's not for us yet.

One question....

We do A LOT of documentation for the state (and HeadStart). Several times per week, I've been scanning in pages, converting to pdf, and then emailing to so-n-so. Additionally, at least monthly, I have to print off attachments to sign (and have the kids sign - can you believe they make every child over 3 sign anything to do with their service plan, fire drills, etc?). I'll easily be able to do all those things between my printer and iPad?

We use a program called Cucusoft. It's really easy, you just open the video in cucusoft and hit "convert". Then I go into iTunes and import the file.

Dh has done something techy that makes it even easier, but I don't understand how he did it so I won't try to explain it.

We imported all of our current DVDs that way and I import any Discovery Streaming videos that I want on the iPads.

Thanks! For reference here is Cucusoft's website. I'm guessing this is PC software, since the downloads end with *.exe. But perhaps PC software now runs on Macs also?

I must say, that sounds like a lot of work!

We have a DVD jukebox which the children can access through the SlingBox, so they could still do that on the iPad if we bought the Sling Player for it. I'll have to look into this for streaming content.

Oh, and Reg? I just noticed that you are a "Hive Mind Queen Bee". :D
You have reminded me of the first thread I posted on this forum. You might enjoy that! ;)
One question....

We do A LOT of documentation for the state (and HeadStart). Several times per week, I've been scanning in pages, converting to pdf, and then emailing to so-n-so. Additionally, at least monthly, I have to print off attachments to sign (and have the kids sign - can you believe they make every child over 3 sign anything to do with their service plan, fire drills, etc?). I'll easily be able to do all those things between my printer and iPad?

Unless/until you have a printer that is connected to the network, you will need another computer to do the printing.

Also, you may want to borrow an iPad to ensure that the websites for the state work properly on it. iPads do not support Flash Player content natively, although there are many third-party workarounds that are available to plug this hole. But It may not be 100% for some sites.

If you wanted to use an iPad, you still could. You can get portable DVD players for under $100. They are actually really nice because they take up so little room on the child's desk. Also, if you were to choose the streaming video option at a later date, it works on Safari with no workaround at all. While it's true that iPad doesn't natively support flash, there's something that webmasters can do on their end that makes the videos work anyway, and BJUP has done that with their streaming website.

As far as having the iPad and keyboard on your lap, this case as well as others turn the iPad into a laptop. Except with a laptop you can't take the screen off and use apps.

The iPad would be expensive for someone who really *just* wanted a laptop. But for homeschooling, especially younger children, I don't think it can be beat. I bet you could find apps just as good as any CD-ROM software, and watching DVDs is easily done with a portable unit. Also, someone said converting videos to iTunes sounded like a pain in the neck, but as strange as it sounds, it's really not such a pain.

Without a CD/DVD drive, it's not an option for us. Too much of our school is supplemented/driven by DVDs (DS is using BJU's DVD program this year) to not have one.

I have laptop and DH has an iPad. I have no desire to switch to an iPad. One problem I see is that I use my laptop on my lap, and it's very comfortable. I don't see how I could do that with a separate screen and keyboard. I also use Homeschool Tracker, so I have to have something I can run Windows on (my laptop is a Mac).

The iPad is great, and I think the way technology is moving, but it's not for us yet.

If you wanted to use an iPad, you still could. You can get portable DVD players for under $100. They are actually really nice because they take up so little room on the child's desk. Also, if you were to choose the streaming video option at a later date, it works on Safari with no workaround at all. While it's true that iPad doesn't natively support flash, there's something that webmasters can do on their end that makes the videos work anyway, and BJUP has done that with their streaming website.

As far as having the iPad and keyboard on your lap, this case as well as others turn the iPad into a laptop. Except with a laptop you can't take the screen off and use apps.

The iPad would be expensive for someone who really *just* wanted a laptop. But for homeschooling, especially younger children, I don't think it can be beat. I bet you could find apps just as good as any CD-ROM software, and watching DVDs is easily done with a portable unit. Also, someone said converting videos to iTunes sounded like a pain in the neck, but as strange as it sounds, it's really not such a pain.

Thanks for the suggestions! It's definitely something we'll consider when the kids are old enough to have their own computers. They may be more expensive than PC laptops, but we're a Mac family and those things are pricey! An iPad would be a cheaper option.

Maybe it is a stupid question: I thought ipad does not support flash? So, nothing with flash animations would run?

Second question: what is the benefit of an ipad over a laptop if I have to purchase and lug around an external keyboard and an external CD drive?

I am really not sure where the advantage is. Thanks for enlightening me.

There is something, and I won't pretend to know what, but there is something that the webmasters can do on their end to make videos work on the iPad with no workaround at all. BJUP and I think ABeka have made their streaming websites support video now completely with no workaround. You log in and view your videos the same way you would on a computer with no difference whatsoever on your end.

Most sites with video embedded from youtube work fine as well. *I* personally haven't come across any video sites that wouldn't work on the iPad, but many flash games will not work. I am sure there are sites that don't work though. BJUP used to not work without something like splashtop which lets the child view and hear what is on the computer screen. They changed that part on their end this past summer and now they work just fine.

The benefit of an iPad over a laptop, even with needing the keyboard and a DVD player is that the touch screen just does things computers don't. Give a child an iPad for a few minutes. It's like driving a car from NY to LA. You can do it. It will get you there. But jumping on a plane will make it so much faster and more convenient. The iPad "listens" to kids. It takes what they're doing and speaks to them in a way computers just don't.

Like I said, if you are really *just* wanting a portable computer (laptop) the iPad with the two additional accessories won't make much sense to you. If your main goal is to watch DVDs when you travel and surf the web before bed, a netbook or laptop will be a much cheaper way to meet your needs. If you want a tool for homeschooling, and a truly portable machine, the iPad, even with the extras (which you obviously don't carry around unless needed) works even better. (Disclaimer: This is actually speaking from someone who has no problem typing on the touchscreen itself and wouldn't bother with an external keyboard anyway.)

Maybe it is a stupid question: I thought ipad does not support flash? So, nothing with flash animations would run?

Second question: what is the benefit of an ipad over a laptop if I have to purchase and lug around an external keyboard and an external CD drive?

Thank you so much for the thread! I think the fix on my laptop will be small (I'm gonna take it tomorrow); but I know it won't last forever either. I thought about an iPad but wondered if I could do my schoolwork on it easily. I love that the little kids would find it easier to handle (I have a 17inch screen on my laptop). I also wondered if I am just too much of a Texas girl (everything is bigger in Texas) though. My laptop has a 17inch screen and when we had a desktop, it had a 22 or 27 or something like that.

Anyway, hmmmmm.....

There's a device that allows you to mirror the ipad on a tv, projector or monitor. I think I remember a thread recently where someone talked about using the ipad for circle time with her kids and showing everything on their big screen tv.

One question....

Yes and if they would accept it you could even have them sign the pdf on the screen using pdf expert or notability. Either way you can print and/or email the files from the ipad.

You can use it 99% of the time without the keyboard. You only need the keyboard for long typing sessions. Even with the keyboard it's still smaller and lighter and easier to use. Even with my case it fits in my medium sized purse. Flash does not work but I don't find it a huge problem. One thing we need flash for is brainpop but they have an ipad app that enables you to see the videos on the ipad even without flash. I find the availability of education and productivity apps to be so numerous that pretty much anything I want to watch a video about is available in itunes or an app and I therefore don't need flash.

My laptop hasn't left my office since I bought the ipad. Since dd and I are sharing right now I still need the laptop because she uses the ipad for schoolwork a lot and I work on the laptop while she's doing it. If we had two ipads I don't know if I would use the laptop at all.

The benefit of an iPad over a laptop, even with needing the keyboard and a DVD player is that the touch screen just does things computers don't. Give a child an iPad for a few minutes. It's like driving a car from NY to LA. You can do it. It will get you there. But jumping on a plane will make it so much faster and more convenient. The iPad "listens" to kids. It takes what they're doing and speaks to them in a way computers just don't.

:confused:

Could you elaborate? I do not understand what this means. How does the iPad "speak" to them differently? Maybe I am not seeing something obvious. My kids are rather proficient on the computer and I somehow fail to see the advantage of the iPad other than that it is a bit smaller than a netbook.

If you want a tool for homeschooling, and a truly portable machine, the iPad, even with the extras (which you obviously don't carry around unless needed) works even better. (Disclaimer: This is actually speaking from someone who has no problem typing on the touchscreen itself and wouldn't bother with an external keyboard anyway.)

I can't imagine typing long texts on a touchscreen. The quality of the keyboard is actually one factor in my choice of laptop.

What about programming and doing numerical calculations? The iPad can't do that, can it?

Could you elaborate? I do not understand what this means. How does the iPad "speak" to them differently? Maybe I am not seeing something obvious. My kids are rather proficient on the computer and I somehow fail to see the advantage of the iPad other than that it is a bit smaller than a netbook.

I can't imagine typing long texts on a touchscreen. The quality of the keyboard is actually one factor in my choice of laptop.

What about programming and doing numerical calculations? The iPad can't do that, can it?

I didn't see the attraction for the ipad until I bought one. I don't know specifically about programming and numerical calculations but I would say that in general, anything you can/want to do on a computer can be accomplished on the ipad but it might require changing the way you think about the task or doing it a little differently. For me, I think the ipad has eliminated the need for a laptop but not necessarily a desktop. I can see our family moving to one shared desktop and individual ipads.

I didn't see the attraction for the ipad until I bought one. I don't know specifically about programming and numerical calculations but I would say that in general, anything you can/want to do on a computer can be accomplished on the ipad but it might require changing the way you think about the task or doing it a little differently. For me, I think the ipad has eliminated the need for a laptop but not necessarily a desktop. I can see our family moving to one shared desktop and individual ipads.

Could you explain that a bit more?

I use a laptop only and can not imagine what I would need a desk top for.

So, if apparently I can do anything on an iPad, except for typing long texts, the big question for me would be: what is it I can do on an iPad that I can NOT do on a laptop?

So, if apparently I can do anything on an iPad, except for typing long texts, the big question for me would be: what is it I can do on an iPad that I can NOT do on a laptop?

The only reason I say we would still use a desktop is that I envision using it as a sort of server for for managing content between the iPads and possibly doing some bookkeeping work. Plus we have years of pictures, presentations and other files for our business and personal things we need to store somewhere. I also like the idea of a large screen. There's probably a way to do my bookkeeping on the iPad but I'm not sure I'm ready to convert everything from quick books yet. With the iPad I have a remote access app which allows me to access my computer from anywhere. This eliminated the need for a laptop for travel. Now I just leave my laptop and access it from the iPad if I need something on the computer. It's possible when the laptops die that we just decide to buy a server or hard drive instead of a desktop. I'm still thinking this thorough and deciding what we need.

As far as what I can do on the iPad that I can't do on the laptop I would list writing in it like a notebook or journal as the biggest benefit for me. I'm a big note taker and prefer to write when taking notes. I type quickly but just find that I retain information better if I write. The iPad has taken the place of a notebook for me. It's also better for having dd do schoolwork while we travel. We are out of town now and I brought math and some language arts worksheets in PDF that she writes on directly on in Notability.

I also prefer the iPad for watching movies. It's easier to hold in a chair or in bed than the laptop.

I take video on the iPad and can edit it. I have both a digital camera and a digital video camera but always hated that I ended up with a bunch of short videos and without expensive software I was unable to edit them. On the iPad last night I took 7 or 8 short videos of a parade we attended and in a short time used iMovie to edit them and combine them in 1 video.

I use the reminders app to make shopping and to do lists that are always with me when I'm shopping or working and need them.

I never liked reading on my laptop but I read frequently on the iPad. For a lot of things like reading it's not that I can't do it on the laptop it's just faster and more convenient on the iPad. There seem to be an endless number of apps available and it seems every day I discover something new I can do on the iPad to make school, work or entertainment easier.

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head.

As far as what I can do on the iPad that I can't do on the laptop I would list writing in it like a notebook or journal as the biggest benefit for me. I'm a big note taker and prefer to write when taking notes. I type quickly but just find that I retain information better if I write. The iPad has taken the place of a notebook for me. It's also better for having dd do schoolwork while we travel. We are out of town now and I brought math and some language arts worksheets in PDF that she writes on directly on in Notability.

I also prefer the iPad for watching movies. It's easier to hold in a chair or in bed than the laptop.

I take video on the iPad and can edit it. I have both a digital camera and a digital video camera but always hated that I ended up with a bunch of short videos and without expensive software I was unable to edit them. On the iPad last night I took 7 or 8 short videos of a parade we attended and in a short time used iMovie to edit them and combine them in 1 video.

I use the reminders app to make shopping and to do lists that are always with me when I'm shopping or working and need them.

I never liked reading on my laptop but I read frequently on the iPad. For a lot of things like reading it's not that I can't do it on the laptop it's just faster and more convenient on the iPad. There seem to be an endless number of apps available and it seems every day I discover something new I can do on the iPad to make school, work or entertainment easier.

Thanks!

There is something, and I won't pretend to know what, but there is something that the webmasters can do on their end to make videos work on the iPad with no workaround at all.
Yes, they write their websites using HTML5 instead of Adobe Flash Player. I do think more and more websites are moving in this direction.

We have not had any desktop computers here for about 12 years. Laptops tend to use significantly less power, so we prefer them.
I am not one who thinks you can do anything on an iPad that you can do on a laptop. Here are my thoughts on the benefits of each one:

Things I can do on my laptop which I cannot easily do on an iPad:

- Store a lot of information. My laptop stores 1 TB of data, my iPad stores 64 GB of data. IOW, the laptop stores 16X as much data. I think this will change in the near future.

- Store data securely. I have an aversion to keeping any information which I consider to be private (such as financial information) on the iPad. This is mainly because I feel that because they are so portable and leave the house so often that they are apt to be stolen. I don't even access our banks using the iPads for the same reason.

- Access content on the internet which uses Adobe Flash Player. But more and more content on the internet is moving to HTML 5, so this issue is getting less critical over time. Still, if you need to access a site and cannot with the iPad, that can be a real problem.

- Type easily. We've discussed this to some degree. As mentioned, the Zagg Keyboard Case for iPad allows you to take a Bluetooth keyboard with you easily while not adding much bulk at all.

- Print to a non-networked printer.

- Read data from a CD or DVD.

Things I can do on an iPad which I cannot easily do on a laptop:

- Read. Yes, I can read on a laptop, but I can generally read on the iPad more easily. (And, as an aside, I would say I prefer to read some content on the Kindle Fire, but not everything.)

- Get lots of high-quality applications for free or *very* cheaply. I would say that applications for the iPad tend to cost 1/10 the price that I would pay for a similar application on the PC. On top of that, the iPad applications can be run on all of our iPads while the PC applications are often licensed for only a single computer. The result is that the iPads have many more applications loaded on them than the PCs. (And, yes, there is good and bad to this.)

- Use parental controls. Those are all built-in to the iPads while they are not on the laptops. As a result, we use parental controls on the iPads, but not on the laptops. Of course there are rules that apply to both. It's just that the iPad enforces some of them.

- Use touch-based applications. I do think this is one thing that draws children (and adults, too!) to the iPad. Many of the iPad applications are more intimate due to the way in which we can interact with them.

- Use location-based applications. None of our laptops have built-in GPS (and other location services). All of our iPads do.

- Use a compass, accelerometer or gyroscope. These are mostly used for gaming, but they can be accessed by any program for the iPad.

- Use the computer anywhere in the house. The laptops can be used in a lot of places, but the iPad can be used more places, such as in bed. (We don't use them in the bathroom, however! :ack2:)

- Take the computer with us on short outings. While the laptops can accompany us on longer outings, the iPads can go just about anytime due to the fact that they are more portable and have much better battery life. I would also say the iPads are better in-car entertainment systems than the laptops.

Anyway, that is my current thinking on the subject. Both types of computer have their uses around here.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I can leave the iPad on all day. It goes to sleep to preserve battery but only takes a second to turn back on. My notebook seems to take forever to boot. I can pull the iPad out of my purse, do what I need to do and put it right back in my purse with no waiting for start up or shut down. Battery life is another big plus. It really does get up to 10 hours. I normally use it off and on from about 9am to 9pm without charging. It would of course be a shorter time if it was continuous use but either way it beats the heck out of my notebook.

- Store a lot of information. My laptop stores 1 TB of data, my iPad stores 64 GB of data. IOW, the laptop stores 16X as much data. I think this will change in the near future.

- Store data securely. I have an aversion to keeping any information which I consider to be private (such as financial information) on the iPad. This is mainly because I feel that because they are so portable and leave the house so often that they are apt to be stolen. I don't even access our banks using the iPads for the same reason.

Things I can do on an iPad which I cannot easily do on a laptop:

- Read. Yes, I can read on a laptop, but I can generally read on the iPad more easily. (And, as an aside, I would say I prefer to read some content on the Kindle Fire, but not everything.)

- Get lots of high-quality applications for free or *very* cheaply. I would say that applications for the iPad tend to cost 1/10 the price that I would pay for a similar application on the PC. On top of that, the iPad applications can be run on all of our iPads while the PC applications are often licensed for only a single computer. The result is that the iPads have many more applications loaded on them than the PCs. (And, yes, there is good and bad to this.)

- Use parental controls. Those are all built-in to the iPads while they are not on the laptops. As a result, we use parental controls on the iPads, but not on the laptops. Of course there are rules that apply to both. It's just that the iPad enforces some of them.

- Use touch-based applications. I do think this is one thing that draws children (and adults, too!) to the iPad. Many of the iPad applications are more intimate due to the way in which we can interact with them.

- Use location-based applications. None of our laptops have built-in GPS (and other location services). All of our iPads do.

- Use a compass, accelerometer or gyroscope. These are mostly used for gaming, but they can be accessed by any program for the iPad.

- Use the computer anywhere in the house. The laptops can be used in a lot of places, but the iPad can be used more places, such as in bed. (We don't use them in the bathroom, however! :ack2:)

- Take the computer with us on short outings. While the laptops can accompany us on longer outings, the iPads can go just about anytime due to the fact that they are more portable and have much better battery life. I would also say the iPads are better in-car entertainment systems than the laptops.

Anyway, that is my current thinking on the subject. Both types of computer have their uses around here.

The storage issue is the main reason I can't see ditching a computer all together at this point. As I mentioned on the other post I can envision a single computer or server for the family in the future. We'll see what happens when the laptops die.

You explained the app concept well. I was trying to figure out how to word it and didn't come up with anything that made sense so I'm glad you chimed in.

I love the portability of the iPad. We're on vacation and everyone is asleep but me. I can quietly read or browse the internet without disturbing dh who is eight next to me snoring or dd who is in the same room.

As far as the iPad listening to kids, it's hard to explain because logically it doesn't make a lot of sense. For some reason kids understand moving something with their finger so much more than with a mouse. Theoretically it's the same movement, but children can build a math equation on an app with their fingers, and I feel like they internalize it so much better than with a mouse based computer game. Holding it in their laps also seems to make it so much easier for them to make the connections. It's almost like osmosis. It's really something that I think you have to experience.

As far as the calculations, ipad has both a regular calculator and a scientific one that I think came with it. If not, it was a free app. If you are meaning the kind of calculations you might do with Excel, I don't use that program, so I am not sure, but I would be relatively shocked if there isn't some sort of app that does the same thing, most likely even on Excel documents, but again, I am not positive of that.

One question....

I don't know the answer to that - I'm not sure if you could scan to the iPad, but if you can scan and then email from your printer then you could email the document to your iPad and then deal with it from there.

Does anyone know if my subscription to Discovery Education Plus would run on an iPad? Or does it need some sort of workaround?

My laptop is acting up and may be doomed....

My Discovery Steaming subscription works - they have a mobile app (check out the help section of the Discovery website and you should find the explanation on how to do it).

Now, the issue I have is that I don't have 3G service for my iPads, so if I want the kids to watch a video while we're in the car or out and about then I have to make sure I've downloaded and converted it.

Dh has done something (I'm not sure what) where now all I have to do is download the video into one file and then it runs the conversion automatically and ends up in a "converted videos" file.

How do you handle the Pages files? With iCloud it makes it easier but it still is a bit of a pain to open on another computer to be able to print. Can you edit a doc on the iPad and then on a computer and have it automatically updated on the iPad?

I'm still figuring out the whole cloud thing. But, why wouldn't you just print from your iPad?

Have you checked out the app store? What my kids are doing on the iPads is radically different from what they used their PCs for.