Menu

any shooters here?

Anyone shoot? Range shooting fwiw. What do you shoot? Why'd you choose that particular gun?

I try to get out a few times per year to keep up my skills. I have my dh's guns. Deer rifle, shotgun, 9mm, and a couple 22s for the girls to practice with.

I like shooting skeet and plinking away with the 22s.

I have shot a Glock 18 and LOVED it. DH and I are going to get a few different guns. We aren't hunters but feel home defense is well worth the investment. How do y'all store your guns? Especially ones for home defense. DH wants to make sure that it's easily accessible if someone breaks in but at the same time he wants to make sure they are safe from dd and any other children.

Also if your kiddos shoot what age did they begin shooting and with what?

I have a Ruger semi auto 22 that I love to shoot at the range. For kids that are past the BB gun stage, I like the cricket 22- it's a single shot, bolt action. The safety on it isn't quite what I want, but it's light, accurate, and cheap. As far as age goes, that totally depends on the legality where you are, the maturity of the child, and the amount of gun exposure that child is used to.

I have a S&W .38 hammerless airweight revolver. I love it. It is light enough for me to handle easily, and because it is hammerless I could easily slip it in or out of my purse if needed, but it packs a lot more punch than a .22. I have practiced with a 9mm automatic handgun, but I tend to pinch the skin between my finger and thumb with the slide so it is not my favorite. I have also fired a 12 gauge shotgun, but didn't like the kick. It was a sawed off double barrel though, which I believe has the worst kick as shotguns go.

Recently I have been learning to shoot a rifle on the theory I will go hunting with some friends, but I don't know much about them yet.

Me too! Pistols, rifles, shotgun...you name it, I love it.

I really think most people who don't like the shooting sports haven't tried it.

me too

we have a range on our land, and shoot any time (kids in the house)

I may never be good enough to hunt -- as it with the boys i do not have the time to devote to it -- but i am getting much much better

I personally have a Taurus 357 Magnum. It is a big handgun with a lot of "spank" in it. I like it though. Nobody is going to get away with breaking into our house again (we had a breakin a few years ago while we were sleeping and didn't know until the morning....thus now we have a handgun and it is loaded. No flames...we keep it up very high from the kids)

We also have many rifles. I don't know all of the names of them but we have about 8.

Here is a little 2 point buck I shot about a week ago. My 7yo was excited to help hold the horns...2yo, not so much! (don't mind my hair, it was crazy windy that day)

001-3.jpg

I just bought a Glock 26, which is a subcompact 9mm. I love it. I'm trying to get good with it without any pinky extensions, which is a challenge. I had no idea shooting could be so fun!!

My son can outshoot me, and is 12. He has a 22 rifle, and also does well with my Glock. My husband has a Glock 30, which is the compact 45 ACP. I dislike shooting it, it is way to powerful and heavy for me, which is why he got me my own Glock. For concealed carry he has a Ruger LCP, which is fine for me, but kickier and less accurate than my Glock.

Oh, and my favorite is the 22 rifle that is over 100 years old, that belonged to his grandfather...I LOVE that gun. So fun, no kick, and it looks amazing.

Oh, almost forgot the WW2 sniper rifle....not sure why we have that one, but it is pretty intimidating. DH might use it to kill some wild hogs that are tearing up a friend's yard and shed. And we are covered if the Nazi's come, lol.

I have shot a Glock 18 and LOVED it. DH and I are going to get a few different guns. We aren't hunters but feel home defense is well worth the investment. How do y'all store your guns? Especially ones for home defense. DH wants to make sure that it's easily accessible if someone breaks in but at the same time he wants to make sure they are safe from dd and any other children.

For storage we do a few things. The rifles have trigger locks on them, and/or are broken down. They are in our master bedroom closet. Above them is a small safe that is bolted to the wall. It has a combination lock on a keypad. It has a 9 digit combination and locks out if you put the wrong one in 3 times, so I feel safe the kids won't access it. But we used numbers we could do easily and without thinking. Oh, and it is high up, with nothing to climb on, so small kids couldn't get to the safe at all anyway. The handguns are in that safe. They are loaded, but not chambered. We would have to grab it out and rack the slide, but that gives me peace of mind, as a small child wouldn't have the strength to rack the slide to chamber a round, even if they levitated up to the safe and magically entered the proper combination. On the other hand, it only takes literally a second or less for me to rack the slide and chamber a round.

We are also getting a smaller safe for in the main area of the house. When I'm home alone in the evening I'd like the gun to be in the same area I am, so I will lock it in there, again, loaded but not chambered. It will also be a combination safe similar to what I described above. I figure I can put the small safe in a pretty decorative box or basket or something, on the counter that is between the kitchen and the family room, making it reachable from either side.

Extra ammo is in a different safe in the garage.

For storage we do a few things. The rifles have trigger locks on them, and/or are broken down. They are in our master bedroom closet. Above them is a small safe that is bolted to the wall. It has a combination lock on a keypad. It has a 9 digit combination and locks out if you put the wrong one in 3 times, so I feel safe the kids won't access it. But we used numbers we could do easily and without thinking. Oh, and it is high up, with nothing to climb on, so small kids couldn't get to the safe at all anyway. The handguns are in that safe. They are loaded, but not chambered. We would have to grab it out and rack the slide, but that gives me peace of mind, as a small child wouldn't have the strength to rack the slide to chamber a round, even if they levitated up to the safe and magically entered the proper combination. On the other hand, it only takes literally a second or less for me to rack the slide and chamber a round.

We are also getting a smaller safe for in the main area of the house. When I'm home alone in the evening I'd like the gun to be in the same area I am, so I will lock it in there, again, loaded but not chambered. It will also be a combination safe similar to what I described above. I figure I can put the small safe in a pretty decorative box or basket or something, on the counter that is between the kitchen and the family room, making it reachable from either side.

Extra ammo is in a different safe in the garage.

Thanks for the info :) I really appreciate it, I can visualize it quite well. We are all about teaching gun safety. I want dd to know how to handle seeing a gun if she's at a friends house and what to do just in case kwim?

1) I keep mine in a gun bag, unloaded, on top of the chest of drawers. Ds knows it is there and not to touch it. We keep our practice weapons from martial arts class handy around the house for self defense - we all know how to use them, and even though they are "practice" with no sharp edges we can still wallop someone with them.

ETA - ammo is stored separately in the top of the closet. Ds doesn't know where it is, though I suppose he could find it if he looked hard enough.

2) Ds has not shown any interest in learning to shoot, but even if he did we would probably not be willing to teach him until he's at least 10. We'll borrow my mom's .22 to teach him with most likely.

Edited by Truscifi

Just want to mention that it isn't just about keeping the gun safe around your kids, who know better. If a friend's child, or a friend of your children, accessed/stole your gun you could be legally liable if it wasn't secured properly.

Exactly why for us, education is super important for dd so she knows how to be safe, but why we aren't going to just let them stay unsecured.

Me too! Pistols, rifles, shotgun...you name it, I love it.

I really think most people who don't like the shooting sports haven't tried it.

I haven't gone shooting since I got out of the army, but I liked it most of the time.

I am a bit sensitive to loud noise though and it always made a whole day at the range a bit much for me. I think that is something that can make it unpleasant for some people.

We also shoot in our backyard....pistols, .22's, shotguns, muzzleloaders....DH is always buying and trading guns for us to shoot. Kids start with a .22

Everything is stored unloaded in a gun safe in our master bedroom with ammo locked up separate. We are currently looking for a handgun just for me that will be kept loaded in a locked gun case in my closet.

I used to shoot in combat pistol competitions, but it's been more than 30 years since I did that. My wife and I shoot skeet and trap once in a while, and head to the range a couple times a year to keep proficiency with our pistols. She prefers a Ruger .357 revolver; I wouldn't carry anything other than my .45 ACP Colt Combat Commander.