Menu

What's wrong with refurbished iPads???

I would guess nothing. I got a refurbished iPod touch a few years ago and it didn't work. I took it in to the apple store and they replaced it with a new one at no cost. So, seems like a risk free proposition to me. My husband ordered me a new IPad though? He bought both of them as a gift to me!

I would guess nothing. I got a refurbished iPod touch a few years ago and it didn't work. I took it in to the apple store and they replaced it with a new one at no cost. So, seems like a risk free proposition to me. My husband ordered me a new IPad though? He bought both of them as a gift to me!

I get to save $50 for the same product if I get the refurbished one. DH is insisting that I get the new one. It's kind of his gift to DD and me, even though I'm ordering it and making final decisions.

I'm just trying to figure out the catch, if there is one. But your experience with getting the replacement is very positive customer service!

I got a refurbished one (16g iPad 1) over the summer. I had a problem with it and took it into my local store and they swapped it out for the same model without a problem.

I would totally recommend buying refurbished directly from Apple!

Nice! But problems would have to be discovered within a year, so I would have to use it regularly and really get to know it.

Yes, but when? This banning has occurred at a very inconvenient time. :tongue_smilie:

I'm about to place an order. I was going back and forth between the iPad and Fire until after looking at both of them in person at Best Buy and deciding that I really need a larger screen.

I am sure MomsintheGarden could relay a message. LOL!

I plan on getting refurbished myself next spring.

I've been traveling all day and just logged on to see that Reg is banned so I'll try to answer. I bought a new iPad because I didn't know about the refurbished option. I think Ref recently bought 2 original iPads refurbished and I plan to buy my dd one soon. From what I understand the warranty is the same whether you buy new or refurbished. Also, if you aren't concerned about having a camera on the device you could consider the original iPad which you can get for $399.

I've been traveling all day and just logged on to see that Reg is banned so I'll try to answer. I bought a new iPad because I didn't know about the refurbished option. I think Ref recently bought 2 original iPads refurbished and I plan to buy my dd one soon. From what I understand the warranty is the same whether you buy new or refurbished. Also, if you aren't concerned about having a camera on the device you could consider the original iPad which you can get for $399.

I was wondering where you were. Glad you're not banned. I saw the $399 iPad but I think at this moment I'm leaning towards the camera/video. The warranty is indeed the same. I'm just worried that if there is a defect in the refurbished model, I won't discover it in time. And, do I want 3G?

I bought a refurbed iPad1 this summer for my kids (I wanted one for myself and they needed the 64gb for their digital movie copies, the iPad2 we had was only 32gb) I couldn't be happier. They make sure the device is in excellent working order, put a new back plate on it and package it in a brand new box. Honestly had I not been the one buying it, I wouldn't have known it was a refurb. I also bought the Apple care extended warranty with it (just like I would have had it been a "new" model) for me it was well worth the savings because I got a 64gb refurbed iPad1 for the same price I would have paid for a 16gb iPad2 brand new. The kids didn't care it didn't have a camera and I saved a couple hundred dollars.

Here's what we say when customers ask:

"Refurbished items are returned to Apple, vigorously tested for quality and performance, and certified as Apple Certified Refurbished for resale. These products perform like new, look brand new without scratches or blemishes and even come with the same warranty as the new version! You can even protect them with our extended AppleCare protection plan if desired."

They are even coming in the fancy white box now (they used to be in a plain brown box), so there really is very little risk.

I guess everyone doesn't buy refurbished for a couple of reasons:

1. They don't know about it.

2. They're suspicious of it, and assume the refurbished one will die sooner or have more problems.

3. They're a little snobby about getting things new.

I'm a used/yard sale kinda girl here, so I'd get a refurbished one gladly.

We buy refurb Apples. My husband prefers it because he says most at returned for no good reason and a refurb model has been individually and personally tested and inspected, instead of just rolled down the lines. So he feels it's likely even LESS chance of a problem with a refurb.

I was wondering where you were. Glad you're not banned. I saw the $399 iPad but I think at this moment I'm leaning towards the camera/video. The warranty is indeed the same. I'm just worried that if there is a defect in the refurbished model, I won't discover it in time. And, do I want 3G?

I'm not sure how one gets banned but i'm not so far. Trust me, once you get your iPad you will use it enough to discover any issues on a few weeks. I stayed up half the night for the first week or so just playing and figuring out cool things I can do with it.

I decided against the 3G. I didn't want to pay for the service so I just have wifi. I might upgrade my cellphone to one that can turn in to a mobile hotspot when I'm eligible but so far I haven't had trouble because so many places have free wifi now. My husband already had a mobile hotspot from verizon & to me that makes more sense than getting the 3G service. When we travel we can use the hotspot for all our devices.

Hopefully this message comes across as coherent because I got up at 3:30 this morning to make a 6am flight!