Menu

Moisturizer for dry skin

I am looking for a fairly natural moisturizer for dry skin. I have been recently trying coconut oil. My skin can't handle Olay stuff - it breaks out. I am willing to make it, but don't want a lot of different ingredients (multiple essential oils for example) because if it doesn't work, I don't want to have wasted money. Any suggestions?

Beth

I don't know how "natural" the ingredients are but I have horrible dry skin, especially in the winter, and I use AmLactin. It's what was recommended by a dermatologist for my kids for their skin condition and it has worked wonders for my skin. It's not heavy or greasy feeling. I got it at Walgreens.

Good luck finding a product or making a product that works for you, it's frustrating trying to find something that works and isn't super expensive. :)

Eta: I use it for my face and hands, same with our kids. :)

Edited by Cortana

Not natural, but have you already tried plain old Eucarin? I use the thick stuff in the tub (yes, on my face as well as my hands). We live in a dry climate. I've tried more expensive creams, but this one works the best. When I'm going to be wearing makeup, I use the thick and then a little of the thinner one in the bottle (the one with sunscreen).

Eucarin is usually pretty compatible with sensitive skin.

Coconut oil is too thin for me to use as a moisturizer.

When my skin has gone beyond tolerable w/ eczema/rosacea, I've had to go as natural as possible - extra virgin olive oil. Put some in a small bottle that you can pour out like a craft paint bottle. An amount the size of a dime has done my face & décolleté. I do that after washing w/ a soap that is literally just saponified olive oil.

If you are not that far into it, try to avoid products w/ petrolatum, mineral oil, fragrance/parfum, paraben (methyl, ethyl, poly., etc), and the big one alcohol!! There's a few in the stores, but not much in the name brand department. Some folks are sensitive to one or more of those ingredients (I'm sensitive to all of them), and sometimes it is a fight to figure it out. Anything that is low in preservatives (usually has jar w/ lid that says 6m or even 3m) is less likely irritate me than others.

I really like the Kiss My Face "Potent and Pure" line. Relatively inexpensive, nothing creepy in it. They have a trial kit for $14.99 with wash, night repair cream, moisturizer, sunscreen moisturizer and a face cloth. The samples lasted me at least a month, and I still have the moisturizers, though I now have full size versions of the face wash and regular moisturizer.

California Baby. it softens *anything.*

For a Vaseline substitute melt some beeswax and mix it with some safflower oil and pour it into little tins. I also use lavendar for healing and because it smells good. Put the tins into the freezer for a couple of days. I don't know why, but it makes the texture less goopy when you put it on. I think the ratio is about 4:1 oil to beeswax, but I just eyeball it and fix it with more oil if it is too stiff.

I had to get completely away from petrochemicals, which rules out my lifelong use of Eucerin and Moisturel and most other goops. I found some alternative vaseline, but it costs about 6x as much to buy as to make.

:iagree::iagree:

I really like the Kiss My Face "Potent and Pure" line. Relatively inexpensive, nothing creepy in it. They have a trial kit for $14.99 with wash, night repair cream, moisturizer, sunscreen moisturizer and a face cloth. The samples lasted me at least a month, and I still have the moisturizers, though I now have full size versions of the face wash and regular moisturizer.

This is another route too. I've been able to use a lot of their products w/ minimal problem.

The Paula's Choice mentioned by a PP would have me screaming w/in about 10 minutes :( :(

...I've had to go as natural as possible - extra virgin olive oil. Put some in a small bottle that you can pour out like a craft paint bottle. An amount the size of a dime has done my face & décolleté. I do that after washing w/ a soap that is literally just saponified olive oil.

:iagree:I've been using EVOO for years, and have had the best skin of my life. I also use a variation of the oil cleansing method; I use luke-warm water to rinse instead of hot water. It doesn't exacerbate my rosacea and keeps my skin moisturized. I've tried a few other oils, and they break me out. Extra-virgin olive oil is my only "don't leave home without it" skincare product.

I've been using EVOO for years, and have had the best skin of my life. I also use a variation of the oil cleansing method; I use luke-warm water to rinse instead of hot water. It doesn't exacerbate my rosacea and keeps my skin moisturized. I've tried a few other oils, and they break me out. Extra-virgin olive oil is my only "don't leave home without it" skincare product.

:iagree: LOVE it!!!

I would be interested in a more detailed explanation of the oil methods. :)

Otherwise, Vanicream from Walgreens. It was recommended to me by a friend whose boys have eczema really badly. There is no fragrance, color, or allergens. It is really thick, and one of the only things I have been able to use on my face w/out a breakout.

I LOVE coconut oil and use it for body lotion and other things, :) that and jojoba oil will break my face out. I have no problems at all using the EVOO for some reason and use that on my face instead.

The EVOO and castor oil mixed together is a great makeup remover. After I take off my makeup, I use a very hot steamy cloth on my face. Then I gently wash with pure glycerins soap in the shower. GREAT stuff!!!:D

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys