Menu

Music stand--which one to buy?

We bought the almost-but-not-quite cheapest one at the music store. That was 8 years ago, I think, and it is still going strong. The stand spends most of it's time set upright because someone is usually practicing with it. I think not having to fold/unfold all the time extends the life span.

We bought this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-conductor-stand-without-holes

It is really sturdy and feels heavy duty. It adjusts really easily as well. I wanted a conductor stand for my ds to use for drums. I felt the other lighter simple frame fold ups were way to flimsy.

This website has great free shipping as well. We have ordered from them numerous times.

If you are male and buying the music stand and the music stand will always be up in the living room corner, consult the wife and let her pick out a pretty one instead of buying the cheapest and ugliest one at the music store. :glare:

Just my two cents and all...

Otherwise, I have no advice. But I would vote for "pretty" if you are going to have to look at it all the time.

Will she need to bring it places? Then I'd get a PEAK portable stand - very sturdy and durable (I HATE those thin folding metal stands though they are practical). http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Music-Stands-Portable-Stand/dp/B000EPVXWU/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1321714844&sr=1-1

If you don't need something portable, I'd go with a Musician's Gear stand - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-heavy-duty-folding-music-stand/451035000001000

A Manhasset is the standard stand :D but is pricey and if you have wood floors you'll want to get floor protectors - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/manhasset-floor-protectors--set-of-3/468157000000000

My dd flute player has a lightweight folding metal stand with a carrying case that she uses for practicing and taking to band rehearsal. Nice and compact and fits in her "gear bag" with her flute and music books.

We use every one of these stands - I think the Musician's Gear stand is the best value for an everyday practice stand - only slightly more expensive than the cheap folding metal ones, but much better quality. We have a Peak portable that we keep in the bag to take with us when we're going out.

Gee - didn't think I'd have so much to say about music stands :o.

Edited by Susan in TN

I second the Manhassets. My kids like them in bright colors.

We have had many folding/portable stands. Be careful when choosing these. Some brands fall apart quickly. We've found that the K&M folding stands are very sturdy and take a lot of abuse. Here's a link:

https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/searchlib/pic.cgi?img=msk-and-mrain_300_300_L.jpg&ImageUrl=images/accessory_largeimage&width=300&height=300 but The JSI folding stands (about $7 cheaper) fall apart.

btw, I would NOT buy a wild-colored one--that would be tacky for weddings and funerals... Musicians are supposed to blend into the background.

:lol: About the wild-colors. My kids got them when they were like 7 years old! They weren't yet playing for weddings/funerals. :lol:

For kids -- the bright colored stands are AWESOME FUN!

(We also have black... so one day when they are hired for serious gigs... they won't have to use the purple and blue stands.)

We started with portable stands but I wound up buying each of my kids a Manhasset stand due to how flimsey the folding stands were. There are defintely times when they need the fold up portables, though, so keep that in mind.

One of those black stands has become a permanent fixture in the living room. Not sure I would have liked daughter's choice (that would have been purple) any better.

We started with portable stands but I wound up buying each of my kids a Manhasset stand due to how flimsey the folding stands were. There are defintely times when they need the fold up portables, though, so keep that in mind.

I still love my manhasset. Nothing compares, really. Folding stands can be necessary at music camps etc.

Eta - for a flautist to use at home, definitely manhasset or similar. Foldable stands don't usually go high enough for a teen/adult flute player to stand straight unless they are very short. That you can adjust it up and down with one hand is also plus.

Edited by Greenmama2

I agree that nothing compares with Manhasset. They're sturdy, hold up well over time, look professional... I have a standard size Manhasset stand with a shelf for accessories (handy for pencils, the metronome, pad papers, my swab, etc.). For gigs, I have a Manhasset Voyager, which is much lighter in weight and folds up into a travel bag.