Menu

Please be my filter.

I know some of you have suggested making events prepay only or charging a deposit or something...I know from experience that I'd be wasting my time. You should see the hassle we go through trying to collect dues on time from people...multiple emails, reminders, warnings, etc, which has even resulted in removing some members in the past. We do very few pre pay events and even then it's a constant chasing people down trying over and over to collect on it...those types of things are almost more hassle than they are worth.

In the group I am in, dues are prorated per month. New members get one month free and then pay for the months remaining in the year if they decide to stay. They get one email that they need to pay dues to remain in the group, with a deadline. If they don't respond and pay, they are removed with an automatic explanation email about their removal - if it was an oversight they are welcome to rejoin and pay their dues. But ultimately those who don't pay are removed. This has cut way down on the flakiness. As for collecting prepayments, we set the RSVP and payment deadline a full week before the event. Payments can be made by PayPal or echeck. Anyone who has not paid by the deadline has their RSVP changed to no, so we have our headcount firm and all the money collected. Refunds are only possible if we had prepayments for more than the minimum we needed. Just removing people from the group or from events cuts way down on the chasing.

I've noted with some chagrin that the moms most likely to show up to events are the ones who are hawking some useless (to me) crap and who want to sign me up to sell under them. :glare:

Greeeeat, I thought that my kids were getting time with other kids and I was getting some Mom Time, but what I was REALLY in for was a sales pitch? Lovely. :001_huh: I'd almost rather they NOT show up, tbh.

Sounded good to me. The other people who are harmed in this situation are the families who didn't get to sign up because the spots are all filled... only to later find out no one showed up and they could have gone.. ggrrrr. Looking forward to hearing whether you get any feedback.

Jodie

I know some of you have suggested making events prepay only or charging a deposit or something...I know from experience that I'd be wasting my time. You should see the hassle we go through trying to collect dues on time from people...multiple emails, reminders, warnings, etc, which has even resulted in removing some members in the past. We do very few pre pay events and even then it's a constant chasing people down trying over and over to collect on it...those types of things are almost more hassle than they are worth.

I don't chase them down. They can bring it to my house, or to the places I announce I'll be for collection. If they don't come, they aren't on the reservation.

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. You'll only frustrate yourself, and irritate the pigs." Franciscan Monk

(its impish's sig) i reckon if this is happening more often than not, that its okay to stop organizing. really. if they want it, they'd be there, kwim? or if you ask them to give you five dollars for each booking, to be returned to them when they show up......

fwiw,

ann

:iagree: I remember reading a post from someone on here who was a field trip coordinator who charged even for free things like $1 a kid or something just to make sure they were serious about attending. I think your letter is fine. I just don't think it will have the desired result. Especially in 6-12mos. when you're dealing with new families who missed this episode in the life of your co-op.

Well, that was enough validation for me! lol. Sent! Thank you! :D

NanceXToo,

I have yet to read beyond this note... so forgive me if this has been said. Our policy at our local hs support group has anyone wanting to attend an event (even if it is FREE) write a $5 check per family along with a "clip and mail" coupon to be mailed to the coordinator.

The idea is if you attend the event, you get your check back in person on the day of the event/field trip. If you are a no-show, the check gets cashed by the group going to end of year picnic/graduation party. I find that many people want their refundable deposit back and attend. Sometimes a person complains of this policy and we point to the TOS form they filled out by agreeing with this policy. ;)

I have found that the relationships you have in the homeschool group work even better than money/deposits when it comes to ensuring people keep their commitments. If you start your homeschool group around a base of existing friendships, you don't tend to have this problem. If the group is a bunch of (relative) strangers, there's no relationship to maintain and therefore, sadly, no consequences.

If a homeschool group used money as the motivator/consequence, I wouldn't join. I'd get the message loud and clear. I'd look for a group with a different flavor.

Hate that! So many of the hs kids I know are so used to being accommodated for every stupid little things. Like they are all God's speshul wittle snowflayke. And it is all their parents' fault for doing stupid things like that! If we say we are going someplace, we show up! And if we have a real emergency, we call. It's called being a decent human being.

I have found that the relationships you have in the homeschool group work even better than money/deposits when it comes to ensuring people keep their commitments. If you start your homeschool group around a base of existing friendships, you don't tend to have this problem. If the group is a bunch of (relative) strangers, there's no relationship to maintain and therefore, sadly, no consequences.

If a homeschool group used money as the motivator/consequence, I wouldn't join. I'd get the message loud and clear. I'd look for a group with a different flavor.

Although I've done the $/Deposits thing, I've also experienced what you have. With strong connections, people don't bail as much... However, I hope people will try new groups with strangers. If not, how do new people to town ever find a group to be a part of, if you must be "known" to be a part of the group....

how do new people to town ever find a group to be a part of, if you must be "known" to be a part of the group....

Easy: one new family at a time.

I used to be in a group (I moved away) where families could bring friends... once we all "met" each other (friends would have to attend a few events with us), we/they could decide if it would be a good fit. We never had the occasion to say "no" to someone. People who kept coming back seemed to be a natural fit for our group. And it stayed small (12-is families). Small was good: we had those friendships we needed and had none of the problems that plague larger groups. This group provided close friends for our kids, mothers' nights out, volunteering together, shared science lab days in each other's homes, field trips, book clubs, play dates, etc. I wish I had something like that in my new town/state. Sigh. But truth be told, even 4 years later, I remain friends with many of those families. We even drive a few hours each way to see them and join in on their events occasionally.

I have belonged to groups that require a $5 deposit for free field trips. I would say the dollar amount should probably be higher. It does make people take the RSVP more seriously. If you show up, you get your money back. If not, you forfeit the money. In this case, the forfeited money could have been donated to the library. If the venue isn't able to accept a donation, you could keep it for the group, or donate it somewhere else.

This is a great idea. Maybe $10 per family?

I am about to send this email out to my whole homeschool group (I'm the organizer of the group and the one who set this event up). Yes, I'm irritated and want to get a point across, but I don't want it to seem like I'm singling people out or lecturing people unnecessarily. So would you send it or wouldn't you?

---

Send it, absolutely. I find this sort of thing to be a real problem around here. I just can't/won't deal with it.

Sorry it happened to you.

Still no response other than a supportive one from one person who is great about showing up to things and also runs another group of her own and has had a similar problem.

zaichiki, I actually agree with you. I really don't have an interest in charging deposits per event, even free ones, to get people to show up. It's more of a hassle than I want to deal with, and it's not the kind of "motivator" I want to use. I want people to show up because they want to show up and I want people to just enjoy the group and the events and each other. And I think for the most part we do. We've got a lot of really nice families, and I go out of my way to make new families feel welcome and part of the group, and I put a lot of my time into planning and organizing fun events. Sometimes things like this happen and I get frustrated. But I'm not willing to tell people they have to start paying in advance for every event. We have multiple events a week, it'd be ridiculous for me to keep track of even if I wanted to...which I don't! :P

Interestingly, I've been reading a book that mentions a study on this exact thing -- Drive by Daniel Pink. When an extrinsic motivator, such as money, is used, compliance becomes less and less over time. The activity is seen as "work". When an intrinsic motivator, like existing friendships and relationships, is used, compliance (supposedly) becomes greater.

(The exact study had to do with people picking up their kids late from daycare. They actually got WORSE about it when they were charged a fee.)

As to how this relates to the problem at hand, no clue. But I'd think the money motivator could be detrimental in the long run, for the reasons zaichiki is giving.