Menu

Sign of the times? virtual guests

I was at a casual party recently and one of the guests was the grown child of the hosts, via skype. A laptop was carried around so that she could participate in whatever conversation or activity that was going on.

I thought it was a little odd and awkward, but I don't really know what my objections are other than it's not what I am used to or expect.

Have you ever experienced this? What do you think about having "virtual guests?"

One of my sisters lives out of state. We hosted our family Christmas gathering last year, and we did Skype them during the opening of the presents, so that we could see them open our presents to them, and they could see us open their presents to them. It was nice to finally have them be able to participate in the festivities, at least to some extent. Carrying them around on a laptop might be a little tiresome, though! :lol:

My husband has done that lots of times with his family when we've lived far away during the holidays or when the family gets together. It's even easier when you have a smaller device like an iPod that you can carry around. We do all kinds of things over Skype. I'd be happy to talk to a virtual guest at a party- it's obviously important to several people because it takes some effort to coordinate.

My family lives in Oklahoma--8 hrs away. I have a dd in college 4 hours in the opposite direction. Her breaks are short--so we will not make the 'big drive' this year, instead we will be Skyped into the gathering. We usually schedule a time--like from 4-5pm on Thanksgiving--and when they open presents at the Christmas gathering.

We have done this a few times in the past-- the quality of Skype is so much better now.

I also have a Webex account (for my classes) and we can have 'virtual' parties with lots of family members from coast to coast at the same time-- it is great.

My dd (away at college) Skypes us DAILY... she is having a tough time (health issues)... It is nice to actually 'see' her to make sure she is taking care of herself.

One of my sisters lives out of state. We hosted our family Christmas gathering last year, and we did Skype them during the opening of the presents, so that we could see them open our presents to them, and they could see us open their presents to them. It was nice to finally have them be able to participate in the festivities, at least to some extent. Carrying them around on a laptop might be a little tiresome, though! :lol:

We had my MIL on Skype last year for opening presents on Christmas morning. It was great!

We did this using webcam with the grandparents last christmas!

Our Internet does not allow it this year :(

LOL. You will just have to pretend you're too technically challenged to figure it out on your end.

Well, I think she would be, for starters...Just would rather not even go there :lol:

Problem is, I think it would be *awesome* for my parents, now that its been mentioned...But Wolf would then want/feel obligated to do the same with his mother...what to do, what to do?

Son at college means we miss him dreadfully and love it when we can have him join us however it is possible. LOOOOOOVE having the ability to do it. If I were separated from the people I love, I would be so happy if they would let me intrude on all their fun activities that way! I've been thinking about including some extra people in my book club this way, too.

I was at a casual party recently and one of the guests was the grown child of the hosts, via skype. A laptop was carried around so that she could participate in whatever conversation or activity that was going on.

I thought it was a little odd and awkward, but I don't really know what my objections are other than it's not what I am used to or expect.

Have you ever experienced this? What do you think about having "virtual guests?"

We video chat w/relatives.

I wouldn't feel comfortable participating in a video chat w/people I don't know well. The internet and everything.....

Since some of the members of my husband's family are in various places around the country, we usually skype with them at a set time during birthday or holiday gatherings.

We don't carry the computer around, though. It's set on a specific table or counter, and anyone who wants to visit goes there.

We visit with a niece and a few nephews who are away at college, and one entire family who lives out of state.

It's wonderful to be able to share a few minutes of our celebration with them.

Ten years ago, my brother was working on a cruise line in the Mediterranean. My husband and I had to move our wedding up one month due to his unit deploying post 9/11. My brother made it to a payphone booth and called in for the small wedding, which was held in my parents' backyard. We had a chair reserved for him with his graduation photo in it. The phone had a large sign with his name taped to it. He got to listen to the ceremony and he was in all the pictures as labeled phone and photo. While I wish he could have been there, I love looking at those pictures now. I'm sure Skype would have made that whole experience better and I don't think it's that strange to include a long-distance loved one in a family event.

Ten years ago, my brother was working on a cruise line in the Mediterranean. My husband and I had to move our wedding up one month due to his unit deploying post 9/11. My brother made it to a payphone booth and called in for the small wedding, which was held in my parents' backyard. We had a chair reserved for him with his graduation photo in it. The phone had a large sign with his name taped to it. He got to listen to the ceremony and he was in all the pictures as labeled phone and photo. While I wish he could have been there, I love looking at those pictures now. I'm sure Skype would have made that whole experience better and I don't think it's that strange to include a long-distance loved one in a family event.

What a fabulous memory!