Menu

All these years later .... Firefly content

Same here. And I'm glad we watched Firefly so we'd get the joke on the episode when it was Halloween and Castle dressed up as a space cowboy. :lol:

There are a lot of Firefly jokes in Castle, like objects placed in the background and obscure comments. In one episodes he's wearing blue gloves and makes a gesture referencing "two by two, hands of blue".

I love the episode where Castle starts speaking Chinese and Kate asks him where he learned it. He responds "Some old TV show I used to watch" (And the translated phrase is so classic. I'm sure he was thinking of Jayne when he said it.)

Thanks for the heads up, Denise. I ordered the series. I've seen it several times, but have wanted a copy of my own. Now if Buffy would just go on sale!

I bought dh a blu-ray player for his birthday last weekend. I bought him one blu-ray movie to go with it - Serenity.:D

I wonder if it's worth getting Firefly on blu-ray and getting rid of the dvds?

There are a couple of extra special features on the blu-ray, according to Amazon:

Firefly has a picture that's a little softer than most Blu-ray discs (especially in the effects shots), but it is an improvement over the DVDs (even in an upconverting DVD player or Blu-ray player), and the punchy sound (DTS HD 5.1 compared to the DVDs' 2.0 surround) is a definite upgrade. In addition to the original bonus features, there are a couple new ones: a 25-minute conversation among Whedon, Nathan Fillion, Ron Glass, and Alan Tudyk in which they discuss the series and a number of specific episodes (Fillion recalls thinking he was getting fired after the first episode), and a new commentary track by the four fellows on "Our Mrs. Reynolds." And since it's easy to get sucked into watching multiple episodes, it's nice to have a Play All feature on the BDs. --David Horiuchi

I used to sing "The Ballad of Jayne Cobb" to dd when she was a baby. She loved it.

For those not in the loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmG4tPspd-E&feature=related

I don't think any show will ever equal Firefly for me. Ever.

There is an indie song writer/performer named Marian Call. She is fantastic. She has a fan song titled "It's Good to Have Jayne on Your Side". She has a website full of wonderful stuff. :001_smile:

http://mariancall.bandcamp.com/track/its-good-to-have-jayne-on-your-side

I used to sing "The Ballad of Jayne Cobb" to dd when she was a baby. She loved it.

For those not in the loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmG4tPspd-E&feature=related

I don't think any show will ever equal Firefly for me. Ever.

I love that.

"Next time we'll have to go to the crappy planet where I'm a hero."

There are a lot of Firefly jokes in Castle, like objects placed in the background and obscure comments. In one episodes he's wearing blue gloves and makes a gesture referencing "two by two, hands of blue".

We loved the time Castle shot the bad guy to save Beckett. She commented it was smart to aim for his hands...Castle replies that he was aiming for his head.

That's a Jayne line. :D

I don't think I will ever forgive my dh for getting me hooked on Firefly. It is just no fair that there are no more episodes.

I'm kind of glad it didn't continue. Most shows are at their prime in the first 1-2 seasons and then go rapidly downhill from there. It was a fabulous show with no shark jumping episodes to ruin it.

I'm kind of glad it didn't continue. Most shows are at their prime in the first 1-2 seasons and then go rapidly downhill from there. It was a fabulous show with no shark jumping episodes to ruin it.

I know what you mean. It went out on a high note and left the audience wanting more. :001_smile:

I love Supernatural (hmmmm ... Castiel) but season 6 was not my favorite. I like Season 7 so far but mostly for the fan references. :001_smile:

We loved the time Castle shot the bad guy to save Beckett. She commented it was smart to aim for his hands...Castle replies that he was aiming for his head.

That's a Jayne line. :D

OH, we just watched that one!

I didn't realize that was a Jayne line. I'll have to pay more attention, and to the background set stuf and all.

I know what you mean. It went out on a high note and left the audience wanting more. :001_smile:

I think we could have gotten a few more seasons and still been on a high note :crying:

I love Supernatural (hmmmm ... Castiel) but season 6 was not my favorite. I like Season 7 so far but mostly for the fan references. :001_smile:

I saw this for the first time last night. I had to watch the episode where James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter guest starred, even though I'd never heard of the show before! I loved them, of course, but the show didn't draw me in overall, just OK. Was that episode bad to judge by? Should I give it a try from the start?

I agree that most shows should end by their 3rd season but I did not find Serenity a satisfying wrap up to the series. I wanted more, dang it.

I think we could have gotten a few more seasons and still been on a high note :crying:

I saw this for the first time last night. I had to watch the episode where James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter guest starred, even though I'd never heard of the show before! I loved them, of course, but the show didn't draw me in overall, just OK. Was that episode bad to judge by? Should I give it a try from the start?

Try it from the start, but as a warning the first season is not as smooth as the second. They still a lot of character and world building to do, Dean in particular became much more interesting and likeable as the seasons went on. They really hit their stride in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. The introduction of Castiel in the 4th season was the highlight of the series in my opinion (he has not been in season 7 since the first 2 episodes).

I like the series but was put off by both Dean's characterization and the double 'fridging' in the pilot. This is not a spoiler it is mentioned in every early blurb of the series.

I find that true so often. I love the show Arrested Developement and when I was watching season one I couldn't believe they cancelled that show. Then I got to season three and I was glad that it ended before it really jumped the shark.