Menu

If you have a Vitamix blender, please talk to me about it.

I know these are outrageously expensive, but I am thinking of asking for one for Christmas. Is it "worth" it? Please tell me what you prepare in your Vitamix blender and how often you use it. Also, I don't "get" how you make soup in it - that heats up??? Something like that!

I LOVE mine and could not live without it.

Buttery smooth sauces, soups, nut butters, frozen thick smoothies that can stand on a spoon....anything that needs to be smooth, and I've never seen anything that can come close to the Vitamix.

I puree greens in a lot of things also and this makes them basically turn to juice!

But no, I do not COOK soup in this. I use it to blend after if I want it very smooth. I can't make a soup that doesn't start with actually sauteing an onion and some garlic!

We use ours almost every day. We do a lot of green smoothies. We also do peanut and almond butter. These are so easy. I was very nervous about doing the peanut butter because there's a warning in the book about overheating the machine. It's not really a problem because if you do overheat the machine, it will automatically shut off. I needn't have worried at all though. I smashed the peanuts down with the tamper while Pigby worked the controls. Yes, a five year old (with supervision) can work the controls. It was the easiest thing in the world. We just ran out of our store bought mayo, so making some in the Vitamix is next on my list. I'm so excited because it'll be easy and free of HFCS and other preservatives.

We love the tortilla soup. What we do is use (fairly small amounts of each) cabbage, zucchini, onion, a clove of garlic, two carrots, three roma tomatoes and puree it with three cups of water on high. I also add a tablespoon of an MSG free chicken base. For my taco seasoning, I just add some chili powder, paprikia, salt, pepper and pinch of oregano. Supposedly you can take cold water and after 8 minutes on high the water will boil. This is supposedly from the high amount of friction. I say supposedly because they say it, but I've never seen it happen. After pureeing all the vegetables for about five minutes, I turn the machine down to a three and add a can of black beans and a can of corn and a cooked chicken breast. You can do the tortilla chips in at this time, but we usually wait because we can't eat an entire container of soup at once and they get soggy and gross. We usually just break the chips up into our individual bowl. It's so yummy.

DH likes to make an orange/carrot juice. He peels three oranges and sticks them in. The Vitamix will turn them into juice and then he adds a carrot and some frozen fruit. I'm not as big a fan, but it's pretty good. We love the Vitamix and now I can't imagine living without it.

Smoothies

Frozen desserts

Soup

Spaghetti/tomato sauce

Veggie drinks

Pancake/waffle batter (when I'm not making a large amount)

There's probably more, but those are the main things. It is used daily.

Oh, I grind coffee beans and make powdered sugar.

eta: peanut and almond butter (yummy)

I should not have openened this thread! May I ask what ballpark is on cost?

I bet it would make some wickedly good mayo too...oh boy.

One is around $500 and one is around $700. :ohmy: Yes, I know! They are a lot.

So, do y'all make up your own recipes for the smoothies, peanut butter, sauces, etc.? Does it have a good recipe book that comes with it?

We use our Vita-Mix daily for smoothies and soups. It is horribly loud, but so are my kids, so I've learned to tune it out. :lol:

I've not figured out the dough mixing capabilities. Every time I try, it sticks horribly and is a pain in the booty to clean out.

It comes with a lot of recipes and they have more on their website. I really like mine and am considering getting one for my parents for Christmas.

It is wonderful. I bought it when our Costco had their yearly special event for them. It was around $700. When the speed control stopped working, I sent it in for warranty service. They sent me a prepaid shipping label and it was very easy. UPS actually brought it back repaired, two days later !! Awesome service.

I do not make hot soup in it. It is too loud. But it is perfect for pureeing part of a soup to make a cream broth. Then I just pour that back into the pan.

I have a Blendtec. I have heard that the Blendtec is actually louder but I have never put it to a side by side with the Vitamix.I have used a Vitamix and while using it I didn't notice a huge noise difference but don't know for certain one way or another. They are loud but the noise is brief becuase of how fast you can blend anything. We LOVE our blender, it is the first blender that hasn't made me want to throw it away within 5 min. If you ever use a blender or have ever wanted to blend something but been completely dismayed by your current blender buy a Vitamix. (or Blendtec! ;))

I had a Vitamix for over 15 years. The only thing it did that any other appliance I have couldn't do is frozen smoothes. I *can* do frozen smoothies in other appliances but the Vitamix is very powerful. I never cooked in mine.

I've decided not to replace mine. My blender which came with my Bosch (BY FAR my most favorite and versatile appliance!) is very powerful. The ONLY drawback is that my Vitamix had a stainless steel mixer container. I should have saved it but I didn't.

Sorry..... I don't get all the hype!

We use our Vita-Mix daily for smoothies and soups. It is horribly loud, but so are my kids, so I've learned to tune it out. :lol:

I've not figured out the dough mixing capabilities. Every time I try, it sticks horribly and is a pain in the booty to clean out.

It comes with a lot of recipes and they have more on their website. I really like mine and am considering getting one for my parents for Christmas.

I have read that it's not good for kneading dough, and it's not great for grinding wheat.

It IS very loud but I didn't mind. My Whispermill is also very loud. It sounds like a jet engine.

I finally got a Vitamix earlier in the year after yet another blender broke down on me. I have used it pretty much every day since, mainly for green smoothies. I have one for breakfast or lunch each day pretty much.

I also make lots of baby food in it for my smallest.

We have come to love raw applesauce too. I just core the apples and chuck them in there skins and all (we grow them - no pesticide to worry about on the peel). It purees it right down and the kids eat it. The whole process is like 5 minutes from apples to sauce.

Mine was about $400 at Costco. They have a smaller kit than the big deluxe roadshow one. I have a smaller carafe (32 oz I think?) and the base with two lids, regular and with the plunger thing on it. It came with a credit to either get the cookbook free or another carafe at a discount.

It is loud, but it isn't on long at all. It has definitely paid for itself in delicious smoothies, and I'm free of my prior Jamba juice habit. :lol:

One is around $500 and one is around $700. :ohmy: Yes, I know! They are a lot.

I got mine several years ago but lately I've noticed that QVC is selling the shorter one which is designed to fit better under cabinets. I just looked at their website and it looks like there's free shipping as well as "easy pay" right now in case this model would work for your family.

I got my vitamix from QVC when they were on special about 2 years ago. It is the best decision I ever made.

Green smoothies are an easy way to get fruits and vegetables.

I use it to grind grain into flour (and have to do small amounts at a time ... but it works.)

It is great... and absolutely worth the expense.

I have read that it's not good for kneading dough, and it's not great for grinding wheat.

Actually it works great for grinding wheat berries, we use it a few times a week for grinding.

I bought mine used a few years ago on ebay for under $300 and I love it because it is the old stainless steel carafe. I do all sorts of things in mine but its primary use it grinding wheat.