Menu

Which math curriculum do you use for K-6?

smilesonly

Which math curriculum do you use for K-6-and why?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which math curriculum do you use for K-6-and why?

• Saxon
    • A Beka
    • Horizons
    • Bob Jones(BJU)
    • Teaching Texbooks
    • Math Mammoth
    • Christian Light Education(CLE)
    • Math-U-See
    • Right Start
    • Other-R&S, Miquon,MEP........??

RightStart works for us, so I plan to stay the course. The program is effective, enjoyable, and efficient. We are fans of short lessons, and spending anywhere near an hour on math at these ages (which I see others doing) would be the end of us.

Oldest is in Level D, and this is truly a great fit for her. Math has always been her favorite subject, and I must say she is not a natural at it.

#2 is a math person, and I'm not sure what to think of him at this point. He should be at the same level as my oldest, so I need to figure out how to accelerate him or how to include him with my oldest's lessons.

Saxon. I originally picked it because it was recommended in the WTM. I've continued with it because it works well for my boys.

Except for ds9. He's had a bad time switching to the format after the elementary levels. He's current flying through JUMP at Home math 4 and Life of Fred Fractions. He'll probably be done by Christmas, and I'll either have him try Saxon again or have him do JUMP at Home 5 and Math Mammoth Geometry 1. I do plan to have him go back to Saxon eventually.

Mid-semester math poll! :bigear: Which math curriculum do you love-and why?

DUH! Forgot Singapore!!:001_huh:

Back when Dh and I were looking at math curriculums we decided to print out assessment test of the three most popular at the time: Saxon, Singapore and Horizons.

For three evenings he and I took the assessment tests ourselves.

Based on what we had experienced/our employment backgrounds, we chose Horizons.

I have written a review of Horizons K Math on www.amazon.com if you would like to reference it.

:)

I need multiple choice because I have 3 different children using 4 different programs. :tongue_smilie:

I voted "other" because Singapore is my favorite. The first time I saw it I felt like it taught math the way I have always understood it, and I wished I had been taught that way. Miquon is a close second, but it only goes up to 3rd grade. And I love LoF, but not at the lower elementary level.

My oldest uses MM. I don't love it, but it works for her. She used to have melt-downs over Singapore and she's much happier with MM.

Edited by bonniebeth4
needed to rephrase

CSMP

I use it because

(1) It feeds my dd's yearning for advanced math concepts without having to look for a curriculum that is aimed at older children. I don't have to tweak it to fit her writing ability or academic stamina.

(2) It is filled with stories and books, which is very engaging for my dd.

What is CSMP? I don't think I've ever heard of it before.

What is CSMP? I don't think I've ever heard of it before.

It is the Comprehensive School Mathematics Program. CSMP was one of the premier "New Math" programs. We've had fun in the past dabbling with it, but haven't had the chance to use it much lately.

A good way to get a feel for it is to watch the archived films on the website.

CSMP is no longer an active supported program, but all the vast recourses of the program are archived on this site and free for people to download and use.

There is a small contingent of CSMP users here on the WTM and I believe they recently set up a Yahoo Group.

http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/CSMPProgram/index.html

Bill

My oldest skipped around a bit, but my middle two used Singapore all the way through from K-6. (I learned the value of consistency.)

My 5th grade ds is now using AoPS pre-algebra, since he finished SM last year, and my 8th grade dd used Kinetic Books pre-algebra last year and is using Jacob's Algebra this year.

Singapore. We are supplementing with CLE as an experiment this year. Not sure if we'll stick with it. IMO, Singapore is heads and feet above CLE. Seeing them side by side (not just the samples, but the actual program) has solidified my love of Singapore. HOWEVER, the kids love the independent nature of CLE and it has made for an easy review program. In my perfect world there would exist a CLE style review book for Singapore. The kids love the little check boxes, the drill, the flashcards...mom loves the way CLE reviews a little bit of everything they have learned every day. But no way would I give up Singapore and the way it trains my kids' mathematical thinking.

We use A Beka for K-6th grade math, but I teach the concepts using MUS manipulatives. I like the color, number and type of problems, and review in A Beka math. I don't like their "memorize, then just go through the motions" way of teaching the problems. We switched from MUS to A Beka with our 2nd child when we realized that she wasn't getting enough review in the (old) MUS books.