Menu

Catholics - quick ?: Can you eat meat on Fridays?

I have a quick question: can Catholics eat meat on Fridays? I am currently in RCIA and will not go back until next Wed., and just thought of this as I was working on a menu-schedule for our household. I tried to Google it but got several conflicting answers. Some said "no" just during Lent, and others said "no" for every Friday.

Could someone clear this up for me, and possibly link me to a credible source? I am still so new to this that I don't know where to look for answers. TY so much!

I remember when the practice in America changed. I was in Third Grade and my best friend was Roman Catholic. It was "strange" for his family that what had been an established custom (going meat-less every Friday) was now "optional" outside Lent if another form of penance was done in place of eating meat.

I think it took them a very long time to adjust.

Bill

TY to those who answered!

Here's one, in plain English. Though it is long!

I skimmed this and it looks really interesting. I added it to my Reading List in Safari and will get to it later tonight.

Yes. This is one of the 1st hits I got. I wasn't sure if the site was OK or not.

Technically, we should be abstaining from meat or choosing another form of penance on Fridays. I will look for a link.

:iagree:

It's no longer an obligation to abstain from meat every Friday, only during Lent. That does not however relieve us from the obligation to do something as penance each Friday - it is just that what we choose to do is on us, not defined, so we can choose to not eat meat, or we can choose to do something else that is appropriate in its place, but we still have the obligation of penance on Friday, year round.

That site looks decidedly wacky to me.

Bill

Actually, it looks fine to me.

I abstain from meat on Fridays, unless there happens to be a solemnity on that day (DH and I call those days "Meat Fridays"). I've tried to think of other suitable Friday penances but haven't come up with anything else that I could do consistently every week.

It is still very common to abstain from meat on Fridays in my area. The public schools don't serve meat dishes on Fridays because we have such a high Catholic population. I don't know if this is the influence of Hispanic Catholics or what?

How so?

The site is maintained by Aquinas and More. I wouldn't put it up with EWTN or Catholic Answers, but I haven't seen anything wacky.

Actually, it looks fine to me.

I abstain from meat on Fridays, unless there happens to be a solemnity on that day (DH and I call those days "Meat Fridays"). I've tried to think of other suitable Friday penances but haven't come up with anything else that I could do consistently every week.

I think it is strange for a website to say:

Canon Law still requires that Catholics not eat meat on Fridays!

And then to backtrack and say, "of course most....."

The fact is in America the practice approved by the Vatican is that Roman Catholics are to do some form on penance on Fridays. That can include abstaining from meat, but some other form of penance is wholly acceptable (outside Lent).

Bill

The fact is in America the practice approved by the Vatican is that Roman Catholics are to do some form on penance on Fridays. That can include abstaining from meat, but some other form of penance is wholly acceptable (outside Lent).

Bill

This is a practice, and the U.S. Bishops have decided to allow some other form of penance to substitute. But that doesn't change what Canon Law actually says. So I guess I don't see quoting the Canon Law as strange here.

The Bishops can make determinations in matters of practice for their jurisdictions, like determining the Holy Days of Obligation (when they are celebrated, when they are moved to Sunday, etc.).

This is a practice, and the U.S. Bishops have decided to allow some other form of penance to substitute. But that doesn't change what Canon Law actually says. So I guess I don't see quoting the Canon Law as strange here.

The Bishops can make determinations in matters of practice for their jurisdictions, like determining the Holy Days of Obligation (when they are celebrated, when they are moved to Sunday, etc.).

Then they are making the clear implication that the US Bishops and the Holy See (which approves of the current practice) are contravening Canon Law. Yes?

Bill

Bill

Universally, canon law does stipulate abstinence from meat. There can be modifications determined by the Episcopal Conferences, such as the USCCB's, which is:

"Every person 14 years of age or older must abstain from meat (and items made with meat) on all other Fridays of the year, unless he or she substitutes some other form of penance for abstinence."

Off topic from your original point, the bishops in England and Wales have returned to no-meat Fridays, with one of the reasons being that "pick your penance" resulted in abandoning Friday penance altogether.

Then they are making the clear implication that the US Bishops and the Holy See (which approves of the current practice) are contravening Canon Law. Yes?

Bill

I kind of think the internet has been a bad thing for Catholics. Suddenly everybody and their brother is an expert on Canon Law.

It seems to me that the traditional way to handle this kind of question ("Should I fast on Fridays?") would be to meet with one's priest and discuss these concerns. It would not be to Google it.

I don't know, I just find it somewhat ironic that people who seem most invested in traditionalism within Catholicism often seem the quickest to dissuade people from listening to their priests/bishops and instead to rely on the internet.

I think having a discussion with one's priest about this issue would be the best way to decide on what would be an appropriate penance for Fridays.

I kind of think the internet has been a bad thing for Catholics. Suddenly everybody and their brother is an expert on Canon Law.

It seems to me that the traditional way to handle this kind of question ("Should I fast on Fridays?") would be to meet with one's priest and discuss these concerns. It would not be to Google it.

I don't know, I just find it somewhat ironic that people who seem most invested in traditionalism within Catholicism often seem the quickest to dissuade people from listening to their priests/bishops and instead to rely on the internet.

I think having a discussion with one's priest about this issue would be the best way to decide on what would be an appropriate penance for Fridays.

I agree with you.

Bill

Bill

No.

Canon 1253 -- It is for the conference of bishops to determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.

Bill

No.

The Bishops have the ability to determine how to apply Canon Law to their jurisdictions on fast and abstinence. They are not contravening it. They are just not applying it in this instance, and instead choosing to allow a substitution. Contravening would be saying that no one should do it. They are not saying that.

Anyhow, it is a practice. It is up to them to tell us how to apply Canon Law, in these matters. Different areas will have different customs, for stuff like this, for which days are Holy Days of Obligation, etc.

And I don't think anyone is saying, don't ask your priest. But priests these days are busy. It can be hard to have a conversation with your priest in a timely manner. If you can google something and know which places can give you a reputable answer, for something simple, most of us will choose to do that. If you receive conflicting information, don't know how to wade through what you find, or just require more clarification, BY ALL MEANS, ask your priest.

Edited by Asenik

No.

Canon 1253 -- It is for the conference of bishops to determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.

Thank you!

I am on the iPad and having trouble finding things quickly.

Yeah, it's weird though because schools still often serve a meatless dish for lunch on Fridays.

Back in my former Catholic life we didn't follow the no meat thing (ever). I didn't know of many Catholics who did (and I pretty much only knew Catholics).

The school lunch thing may be cultural.

My family wasn't conscientious about no-meat Fridays outside of Lent, but we did always have pizza night on Friday. A lot of people in our very-Catholic town did. I assume it was a holdover from when all Fridays were meatless.

I never associated it with penance. I much preferred pizza night over another night of baked chicken. ;)

I don't know where you are seeing anyone dissuade people from talking to their priests and relying on the Internet. I have not seen anyone here do that.

No.

Correct. But the website in question doesn't include the text of this modifying piece of canon, which makes it misleading.

They say:

It is not the whole story, which makes the exclamatory statement false.

I prefer more accurate and reasonable explanations. This one drips with bias IMO.

Bill

I'd definitely would (and have) asked priests to clarify things. However, I have also known priests who willfully say or do things contrary to what the Church teaches, and I wouldn't necessarily trust what they would say. This was an issue for me in the previous diocese where I lived (though I hear that things are slowly changing due to the installation of a new bishop a few years ago).

Personally, I think it's a good thing that lay people can be more familiar with canon law and I love that I can easily access encyclicals and other church documents. But, yes, one should be wary of self-proclaimed "experts" :)

No.

The Bishops have the ability to determine how to apply Canon Law to their jurisdictions on fast and abstinence. They are not contravening it. They are just not applying it in this instance, and instead choosing to allow a substitution. Contravening would be saying that no one should do it. They are not saying that.

By excluding the full measure of Canon Law on the point they have deliberately attempted to make a statement. They are not giving the full story. It appears to me to reflect a clear bias.

For now Roman Catholics with the full blessing of the Roman Catholic Church are not required to go "meatless" outside Lent if they perform another form of penance. That is not a difficult position to state with clarity.

Bill

By excluding the full measure of Canon Law on the point they have deliberately attempted to make a statement. They are not giving the full story. It appears to me to reflect a clear bias.

For now Roman Catholics with the full blessing of the Roman Catholic Church are not required to go "meatless" outside Lent if they perform another form of penance. That is not a difficult position to state with clarity.

Bill

Now you just want to argue.

No. You asked to to explain myself and I've attempted to do just that.

I think the response on the linked website is misleading.

Bill

I am glad we all get to have opinions. Now you can have the last word because I have to take DD to ballet.

Laurie, I hope all that answered your question and didn't get too distorted in the process. We are no canon lawyers here, but we do try to be helpful when we can. By all means, do ask your priest if you want further clarification.

Eta: and you know, I think it is rather empowering that Catholics are willing and able to look things up for themselves and research things and don't have to just rely on asking their local priest for answers. We are not all blessed with priests with the time, energy and inclination to answer all of our questions in a timely manner. We are blessed with wonderful resources, both I print and on the Internet that we are encouraged to make use of, along with our priests and bishops.

Edited by Asenik

Not sure if this was directed at me or not - I asked here b/c I knew that there were a lot of Catholics on the board. I am in RCIA - not Catholic. I really don't have a priest, although I could ask the one here. But as far as I know there is just one for the entire military/DOD/contractor population here and I didn't want to request an appointment for something so small ;)

I appreciate all of the help I have found online, and will be sure to at least ask the instructor at my next class.

I'd definitely would (and have) asked priests to clarify things. However, I have also known priests who willfully say or do things contrary to what the Church teaches, and I wouldn't necessarily trust what they would say. This was an issue for me in the previous diocese where I lived (though I hear that things are slowly changing due to the installation of a new bishop a few years ago).

Personally, I think it's a good thing that lay people can be more familiar with canon law and I love that I can easily access encyclicals and other church documents. But, yes, one should be wary of self-proclaimed "experts" :)

Unfortunately there were a good amt of Priests from that V2 era that either weren't taught correctly or willfully choose to go against the teachings of the church. I've had people tell me their Priest said if you don't want another baby you can use abc.

The school lunch thing may be cultural.

My family wasn't conscientious about no-meat Fridays outside of Lent, but we did always have pizza night on Friday. A lot of people in our very-Catholic town did. I assume it was a holdover from when all Fridays were meatless.

I never associated it with penance. I much preferred pizza night over another night of baked chicken. ;)

My hometown had a large Catholic population, too (very Irish/Italian). There were always Fish Fry specials on Friday. There still are all over the country.

Until you said it here, I never thought of Friday pizza as a "no meat" thing. I thought of it as a "yay! it's the weekend!" thing.

Sincerely, the agnostic who was raised protestant and can't offer other advice about the whole meat thing.

I haven't read all the replies, but am intrigued about the references to abstaining from meat being a penance.

I was raised Catholic and for a variety of reasons no longer am. We did not abstain from meat on Fridays, though we were a pretty faithful, church-going family.

However, my inlaws, uber-Catholic, abstain from meat on Fridays-- they buy and cook expensive fish instead-- lobster, scallops, baked stuffed shrimp, or go out to an expensive seafood restaurant in our area. Now for me, this would be penance. I do not like seafood of any kind. But they LOVE it. So my question is......how is this "penance?"

Seriously--- It seems to me that they're missing the point entirely. I've always been curious about that, so if anyone can shed any light, I'd appreciate it!

astrid

Seriously--- It seems to me that they're missing the point entirely. I've always been curious about that, so if anyone can shed any light, I'd appreciate it!

astrid

Astrid, I can't answer in regard to the penance since we don't have that in Orthodoxy, but I remember asking our priest a question similar to this once. In our church, we don't meat, dairy, eggs, etc. (most animal products) on our prescribed fasting days. I'd noted that people would use plenty o' margarine, though, on their bread (or a fancy soy substitute for on baked potatoes, etc.) and I wondered about this. Our priest said it's about obedience, not the actual food itself. The fasting practice is to not eat meat -- are they following that? It is to not eat butter -- are they following that? He likened it to the "apple" in the Garden of Eden (if it was an apple; doesn't matter as I make the point, but I'm going to say apple). The Lord's instruction was to not eat the apples. Did that mean they couldn't eat fruit that looked like an apple or tasted like an apple, but wasn't actually an apple? (Say, a crisp pear?) No, it didn't mean that. Their instruction was to abstain from that one food. I think maybe this sounds simplistic, but I know it did help me understand it a bit better.

That doesn't address the lack of moderation, though, just the actual food type. I do think, especially in a season/day of fasting, that moderation is also called for. But little by little, step by step. I know I'm still just pressing on, trying to learn to be faithful ....

Edited by milovaný

astrid

In all honestly, I would look at that as cheerful obedience. :001_smile: They follow it happily (and without requirement!), it's not for me to judge how.

Edited by justamouse

I haven't read all the replies, but am intrigued about the references to abstaining from meat being a penance.

I was raised Catholic and for a variety of reasons no longer am. We did not abstain from meat on Fridays, though we were a pretty faithful, church-going family.

However, my inlaws, uber-Catholic, abstain from meat on Fridays-- they buy and cook expensive fish instead-- lobster, scallops, baked stuffed shrimp, or go out to an expensive seafood restaurant in our area. Now for me, this would be penance. I do not like seafood of any kind. But they LOVE it. So my question is......how is this "penance?"

astrid

Well, I am not sure it is penance, but that would definitely be an issue between them and their priest. You can be obedient without being penitential, and there is always value in the obedience too.

We have always had a certain amount of leeway in penitential practices. Some saints have felt the need to wear hair shirts and fast frequently. Others get enough penance from daily life, like St. Therese, who leaned in to the splashes of dirty water another nun splashed her with while they did laundry. Sometimes, death to self is a very individual thing.

So they may very well be missing the point on it, but it is also quite possible they are making up for it in another way.

And, in what sense is the Friday fast a penance, according to the Catholic view? Is it in repentance for your own sins? For original sin? for humanity crucifying Christ? Or, is this the Catholic way of naming what others might call 'spiritual discipline'?

I have been holding off on asking this question, because I do not want to offend, but I really would like to understand. Thank you!:001_smile:

http://Www.catholic.org/clife/lent/Abfast.php

Penance is about dying to self and being sorry for our sins. We do it as reparation to God to make up for our sinfulness, not original sin, but the intentional sins we have committed. It is done out of gratitude to God for his mercy and forgiveness. We are called to holiness and to become like him. One of the best ways to do that is to sacrifice our own needs, wants and preferences for some greater good or out of obedience. We voluntarily relinquish our own will to better be able to do the will of God. More him, less us. Does that make any sense? It isn't a works-based thing. It is a thankfulness and willingness to serve others and serve God.

And, in what sense is the Friday fast a penance, according to the Catholic view? Is it in repentance for your own sins? For original sin? for humanity crucifying Christ? Or, is this the Catholic way of naming what others might call 'spiritual discipline'?

Yes. ;) :D

There is more than one Catholic view. The Church makes formulas and definitions (usually in response to some sort of challenge or confusion), but we aren't bound by those approaches exclusively.

Here are a couple of official documents that give some insights into traditional ways of looking at penitential practices.

Catechism of the Catholic Church on penance

US Bishops' Pastoral Statement on Penance and Abstinence (PDF)

Edited by Eleanor
fixed link