Menu

Amazon now offers a Kindle Lending Library

Oh, that's fantastic!

...though it would be even better if they would allow these books to be read on their Kindle apps. They could even apply the same rules (must own a Kindle device and have Amazon Prime) and as long as those criteria were met, the book could be read on the app.

However, I'm sure this is designed to funnel customers to buy their devices - if the lending library is stocked with good books, it just might work!

Thanks for sharing this here. :)

I never seem to find the books I want to read on the list of ebooks for my library--at least not without a long wait. Depending on how it works, this may push me to get Prime, which I want but wasn't sure would be worth the cost.

I've had the same problem with our library's ebook availability.

Prime has been an excellent value for us. I think I actually spent more at Amazon, trying to get my order to $25 for free shipping, before we had Prime. Now that they keep adding services, like streaming and the Kindle lending library, it's even better. You also get very spoiled by two-day shipping :001_smile:.

My library offers book downloads via both Kindle and other e-readers. Is this commonplace now?

Yes, but with this new service, it appears that you can check books out from Amazon specifically. And it doesn't look like there will be waiting lists, it is more like you just pick any book from the list once a month. Pretty nifty.

(I started my own thread because I didn't see this one. Oops. :))

Prime has been an excellent value for us. I think I actually spent more at Amazon, trying to get my order to $25 for free shipping, before we had Prime. Now that they keep adding services, like streaming and the Kindle lending library, it's even better. You also get very spoiled by two-day shipping :001_smile:.

:iagree:

So, I take it you have to actually browse while you're on your Kindle? Or else just stumble across them accidentally? Because I'm clicking around on various Kindle bestsellers and not finding any with the notation, so it doesn't seem to be an extensive collection. Also, I don't see anyplace on the website that has them -- something like the 4-for-3 pages, which are incredibly disorganized, but at least dumps all of those titles in one spot.

:iagree:

So, I take it you have to actually browse while you're on your Kindle? Or else just stumble across them accidentally? Because I'm clicking around on various Kindle bestsellers and not finding any with the notation, so it doesn't seem to be an extensive collection. Also, I don't see anyplace on the website that has them -- something like the 4-for-3 pages, which are incredibly disorganized, but at least dumps all of those titles in one spot.

They give examples here, but I don't think you can actually browse until you sign up for a Prime trial.

So I went upstairs, found the Kindle, plugged it in since the battery's about dead, turned on the Wireless which is usually set to "off" to conserve the battery, and discovered there are slightly over 5,000 books I can slog through.

You know what? I hate browsing on my Kindle, which is one of the older models. That's why I look up books on the actual Amazon.com site and download that way (and then put them onto my iPad more often than not).

Yoohoo, Amazon.com -- I've purchased all your bells and whistles -- the Prime membership, the Kindle, and I even have an Amazon rewards card. Plus I laughed at all of the Amazon jokes in Rick Riordan's latest book. I'm living the Amazon.com lifestyle! PLEASE give me an online browse feature for this!

I love this, except we have Prime through my DH's account, and my Kindle is registered to me. I wish there was a way to do this through households--maybe I'll have to transfer Prime to my name, although I don't know how easy that is to do.

Isn't there a thing where you can share your Prime account with people in your household?

I love this, except we have Prime through my DH's account, and my Kindle is registered to me. I wish there was a way to do this through households--maybe I'll have to transfer Prime to my name, although I don't know how easy that is to do.

I would love to know the solution to this as well. We have Prime on a business account, but the Kindle is on my personal account.

Isn't there a thing where you can share your Prime account with people in your household?

Yes, you can! I share my Prime with my husband, parents, and sister. It's under "Manage Prime Membership" or something like that. You need the person's email, birthday, and their relationship to you.

Yes, you can! I share my Prime with my husband, parents, and sister. It's under "Manage Prime Membership" or something like that. You need the person's email, birthday, and their relationship to you.

Yes, you can share your Prime account with up to 4 people (family members), and they can get all the shipping benefits. However, other benefits (like streaming, and I would assume the lending library) are only for the main Prime account holder.

Yes, you can share your Prime account with up to 4 people (family members), and they can get all the shipping benefits. However, other benefits (like streaming, and I would assume the lending library) are only for the main Prime account holder.

:iagree: I should have clarified.

If the Kindle is linked to the main account, though, you should be able to take advantage of those benefits, right?

:iagree:completely! I wasn't sure about paying but it has saved me tons. I now order my printer ink online, kuerig k-cups and all sorts of other things without having to add up to $25. I save some on each product and it is here before I know it.

Loving my Prime. Now I am more eager to get my Fire though! Hurry, hurry.:toetap05::toetap05:

I posted this on another thread also.

I keep wondering if it's worth it for me to sign up for Amazon Prime or not.

• I usually need about 4 books per month.
  • 2-Day Shipping will not be offered internationally, I'm quite sure.
  • Streaming, etc. will not work here either. Last week, I tried to purchase an exercise DVD and they wouldn't allow me to. I emailed them and they said they may consider it in the future.

So not sure if 12 books per year are worth it or not.

So not sure if 12 books per year are worth it or not.

Yeah, I didn't catch on at first that you're limited to ONE BOOK PER MONTH.

We checked something out to see how it worked. Now we can't try anything else for another month. Oops. Fortunately, having paged through hundreds of the choices, I don't feel as though I'm missing much as I couldn't find anything else I'd want to check out. And on the bright side, after messing around with it last evening dd discovered that she could download Black Beauty for free (not a loaned book, but a freebie), so she's got the Kindle in her room now reading that.

Yeah, I didn't catch on at first that you're limited to ONE BOOK PER MONTH.

We checked something out to see how it worked. Now we can't try anything else for another month. Oops. Fortunately, having paged through hundreds of the choices, I don't feel as though I'm missing much as I couldn't find anything else I'd want to check out.

Gail, exactly. These are pretty much the same exact conclusions that dh and I came up with also.

One book per month, not a huge choice, and all the other options - 2-day shipping, etc. which are not applicable to us - just doesn't make Prime a very wise choice for us.

Thanks for reminding me. :)