Menu

How far to you allow your children to ride on their bikes??

We have never allowed our children off of our street riding their bike... maybe we are over protective, but I don't like taking chances!! However, our just turned 13yo son has begged us to allow him to ride farther. So, we are now allowing him to ride up a few streets... it is so hard to do too....

So I am wondering how far you allow your children to ride?? Share the ages of your children as well!

Thanks

So funny you posted this b/c my ds10 just asked us today when we'd start letting him ride his bike further than his friends house 4 doors down. It's sad b/c when I was growing up (about same age as my ds), I rode my bike and walked all over my little suburban neighborhood. I walked w/ friends to our local 7-Eleven or grocery store or pizza joint (about 15 min. walking and not across busy streets). I would NEVER let my dc ride or walk like I did. Different times. I trust our neighborhood, but it still scares me. I told ds that we'd talk about this more when he was 11 (next May). I'm just not ready to let him go further than our street (which is pretty long).

We have never allowed our children off of our street riding their bike... maybe we are over protective, but I don't like taking chances!! However, our just turned 13yo son has begged us to allow him to ride farther. So, we are now allowing him to ride up a few streets... it is so hard to do too....

So I am wondering how far you allow your children to ride?? Share the ages of your children as well!

Thanks

I allow my older two to ride up the street to their friends house. I also allow them to ride up to the Scotchman (1/2 mile away), but they don't go on any major roads to do that. They go everywhere together and that makes me feel better.

Ages below.:001_smile:

We allow our 9 yr old son to ride within the neighborhood, but it's very small and he can't get too far. Plus we aren't close to a major road and we live in a relatively safe area. My older 13 yr old son just started riding a bit further this year. He is allowed to cross a couple of the main roads to visit a friend or go to the library. But he is almost always with friends and he always has to take a cell phone with him "just in case."

But to be honest, I worry all the time. I trust my kids, it's all the other stuff that could go wrong that rattles around in my head while they are out there!

My ds, age 11, is allowed on our street (the sidewalk, that is) and can go around the retention pond/block on the opposite side of our street. He has to wear his helmet and can only ride on the sidewalk. Its a half mile all around the pond. Our street borders the pond on one whole side; we live on the side across the street from it. There are houses and sidewalk all the way around.

That's it. Around the pond is our whole little neighborhood. He's not allowed to go down any side streets out of our neighborhood.

Carol

We allow our 9 yr old son to ride within the neighborhood, but it's very small and he can't get too far. Plus we aren't close to a major road and we live in a relatively safe area. My older 13 yr old son just started riding a bit further this year. He is allowed to cross a couple of the main roads to visit a friend or go to the library. But he is almost always with friends and he always has to take a cell phone with him "just in case."

But to be honest, I worry all the time. I trust my kids, it's all the other stuff that could go wrong that rattles around in my head while they are out there!

This is us too. Thankfully, they can use the buddy system [siblings/ homeschool friends down the street] for rides around the block. We're kinda further out, but i know there are still plenty of wackos out there looking for easy prey. Like the mom in Incredibles:

"Remember the bad guys on those shows you used to watch on Saturday mornings? Well, these guys are not like those guys. They won't exercise restraint because you're children. They will kill you if they get the chance.

Do not give them that chance."

an ounce of prevention and all that.

It is funny that you post this today! I just let them ride their bikes outside without me actually being out there the whole time for the first time today (checked on them often though). They are allowed to go to the corner (we are the third house down) and then all the way down about... maybe 10 houses (it's essentially about a block and a half but they don't have to cross any streets!).

They are 6 and 8.

We live in the middle of a suburban street. Dd6 can ride her bike up one block to the cross-street to the north and she can ride her bike down one block to the cross-street to the south.

Ds10 can ride his bike down to the grocery store (about 1 mile). It involves crossing one busy street which he does at the cross-walk, walking the bike, with a flag. He does not do this often. But when there is a need (we do not have a car during the day) maybe a couple times a year he does bike that far by himself. But he knows his safety rules very well and is very responsible. Most of the time he rides up and down our street with his sister.

P.S. He takes a 2 way radio with him (I have the other one) and he checks in regularly if he does go that far by himself.

I've been wrestling with this question myself, so I was very curious to see the answers.

I guess my reaction to all the answers is, 'This is SAD!"

When I was a kid in a small suburb, all kids biked everywhere. Over about age 10, we tried not to use parental transport -- we biked everywhere. I routinely biked to sailing lessons one I hit age 10, and they were about three miles away on the other side of town.

But my kids don't bike everywhere -- because of all the nutcases, as others have mentioned. We live in a safe town and the ride to the dowtown area/library couldn't be easier, but I only let the older (over 14) kids do it alone. (Younger kids have to stay in our neighborhood, which extends 1.5 miles from our house)

When my kids do bike somehwere, they really stand out -- others kids are NOT biking, which I feel makes it riskier for my kids. It's getting harder and harder to even find places to lock your bike up to!

I don't like making decisions out of fear, but I do want to be a good steward.....

Last summer, I started letting ds(then 15) and dd(then 13) ride their bikes as transportation, as opposed to just for fun. They had to go a couple of miles on a State Route with sporadic shoulders. The traffic is fairly predictable and they weren't going during "rush hour."

Dd(11) only rides on our property and the dead end dirt road in front of the house so far. Beyond that is the State Road, so she won't be doing that alone for a couple of years yet.

They'll probably have to do more of it this summer, with gas prices the way they are.

I wonder if there really are more nut cases out there today than there were 25-35 years ago or if the media is covering this kind of thing more and making us more afraid than ever? Fear sells.

My friends, brothers and I use to ride everywhere on our bikes. To town for a movie, to school, to friends houses etc.

I feel kind of sad too that my kids will miss that. I never heard of "play date" until I had kids :eek: When I was a kid, I would come home from school (2nd grade on) and throw my backpack inside the hallway and scream "mom, I'm home can I go play with ______?" That was usually any of my school friends on a 3 block radius and I would be back when I heard my mom scream "dinner!" My mom NEVER would have thought to arrange for kids for me to play with.

:)

I think if you would allow them to walk or drop them off at a particular place then riding shouldn't be a problem.

I think the key is to start young and model the skills necessary for your child. This is true of everything including bike riding. Bike riding was my primary mode of transportation as a child. When I was 10 I rode my bike to day camp 2 miles away and rode home again--this was in the dark ages when people did not sign their children in and out of camp (I'm old).

I grew up riding. My father took us on rides every weekend when I was little and I learned all the safety rules, hand signals and driving laws. These things were constantly emphasized. I know I had all these rules down by the time I was 8. Dad took us on busy roads. He road around town with us and showed us routes that were better for bikes.

Basically, just as with driving a car you need to be proactive. However, bike riding is safer. I was a lot more independent and able to get myself to activities and work without using the family car.

My kids 11 9 7 4 all ride in our driveway end of story. If they are caught trying the 7 yr old mostly to go out of that driveway they will lose bike for 14 days. The driveway is not very big we do move the cars though. Every now and then I watch them ride from our drive to the corner but no further. When the weather is good their dad takes them on a long bike ride. That happens on a Sunday afternoon. My 11 lately has been quizzing why she cannot ride farther and is trying to overturn that so she was informed yesterday if she asks once more the bike will be put up until June of 2009. I trust my daughter but I do not trust any one else. We live near a college and I have come to the conclusion that most students think they have a right to drive crazy. I have told her that when she is 16 I may let her ride her bike farther as I have decided she will not be getting a lisense until she is 18. I drove at 16 all my friends did as well looking back none of us should have been behind the wheel. :auto:

My ds, age 11, is allowed on our street (the sidewalk, that is) and can go around the retention pond/block on the opposite side of our street. He has to wear his helmet and can only ride on the sidewalk. Its a half mile all around the pond. Our street borders the pond on one whole side; we live on the side across the street from it. There are houses and sidewalk all the way around.

That's it. Around the pond is our whole little neighborhood. He's not allowed to go down any side streets out of our neighborhood.

Carol

This sounds like our neighborhood. The boys go around our block (wetlands behind our house) and the block across the street which has a big pond behind those houses. I can look between the houses and see them most of the way.

It depends on so many things. We've had all sorts of different changes with each move (too many of them). As it is now, my kids are stuck in our subdivision because the only way out would put them on a small two laned road with a speed limit of 65! But at my mom's house? As long as they contacted us regularly, I would be fine with them (as long as they were together or at least in some group), riding just about anywhere they physically could.

I did have to get over the over protective streak though. Could you try 2 way radios or the oldest carries a cell phone? Do they carry identifying and medical information (mine have a small adv. directive card)? So if something DID happen, someone could call you, but it's very unlikely something will happen. We've lived in some of the worst locations dealing with horrible things. Nothing REALLY happened.

Mostly, you just have to push yourself into letting it go, I think. They'll be fine 2 miles a way just as they were 1.

Thanks

We allow them to ride to the park (a block away), but they carry a walkie-talkie. When they get to the park they let me know who is there, and normally they stay and ride for a while, climb trees, or pet dogs. After about 15-20 minutes if no friends are there they get bored and ride home or over to friends' houses, where they call me & tell me if they'll be staying a while.

I only allow them to ride to the park if they are together. But I do allow them to ride to friends' houses behind us or one street over--they just keep me updated on what's going on by walkie-talkie.