Menu

if you have fine/thin hair...please help me!!!

My hair is SOOOOO fine and thin textured that every hairstyle I try just goes limp and sad. I have tried many types of hair proucts that are supposed to add volume but I have yet to find one that works for me. If you have located one that works for you, please share....I am willing to buy from a salon, but if it is a "wal-mart" product, all the better. Oh, I use a good hairspray....hate it...the smell, the aresol, etc....and it works for about 1/2 the day....but after that....blah!!!!! Also, if you have a great hairstyle for this type of hair I am all ears...right now it is fairly short (above my shoulders quite a bit) but I am thinking of grwoing it out for the main reason to have more hair to work with when I decide what style to go with next.

This is why I wear a ponytail about every day! The only thing that has worked for my hair is to wash it before going to bed. I have noticed a difference when I use a volumizing shampoo (Pantene's works pretty good). Then I do not comb it and go to bed while it is still wet. Having it dry in all different directions helps! If I remember, I will spray in some of John Frieda's Luxurious Volume spray while my hair is wet too. Then brush it in the morning just to get it a little under control. If I brush too much, it will flatten. It isn't a huge difference but at least it isn't flat to my head.

Sometimes I will sleep with curlers than brush it out. That definitely adds body that will usually last all day. You can also do pin curls with wet hair--more comfortable for sleeping than curlers!

I used to swear I would never spend the extra money on hir stuff that some people did, but this all worked so well!!!

It's all Regis Design Line brand - Shampoo: Luxe Purify, Conditioner: Get it Pumped, leave in conditioner: Ultimate Radiance

Use the leave in very sparingly - just 4 or 5 pumps then use your hands to distribute it.

It isn't cheap - but the salon at Wal-Mart frequently has buy one get on free, or buy one get one 1/2 off sales (I know ours is having it right now). I buy the big huge pumps and they last about 5 months - the spray a little less.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

Last spring I lost a lot of hair (due to illness) and it was thin and fine. I found that a line called Healthy Sexy Hair (in the Walmart Salon) really helped it look thicker and better... in the end, though, I chopped it ALL off in a short, layered bob and it looked KILLER.... loved it. It is growing back now, much thicker, but I am keeping shorter hair :-)

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner...

It's recommend by stylist and doctors for thin, thinning, balding, chemo treatments and general limp hair.

Sally's Beauty Supply has it for under $10 a bottle. Walmart, might have it.

My mom used it when she was on a prescription that caused her hair to thin and one of my brother-in-laws uses it for his manly hair loss.

Straight, fine hair here all my life, and now that I am almost 50, it's thinning some, too. :(

1. Length of Hair

I find it's important to first: NOT get a hair cut that is too short or is texturized, or has too many layers, as it is impossible to get any volume. Also, don't let it grow too long, as the weight just pulls down any volume you can get with a product. Currently, what seems to be working is a top layer that ends about mid-ear, and the bottom layer that ends about where the bump in the back of the neck from the spine is.

2. Shampoo

I have such a serious bed head in the morning, and all flattened out, that I have to wash my hair each morning. I use just a tiny dab of Redkin's Color Extend shampoo (dime-sized or less), and in the big bottle, it lasts over a year. Generally, the less shampoo you use the better, as less shampoo stays on your hair, which weighs it down and loses you volume.

3. Styler

I blow dry my hair my hanging my head upside down and use one hand to hold the hair out from my scalp down so gravity helps with getting some volume. My hair is SO thin and fine that after about 2 minutes, the hair is about 90% dry, I switch to low but warm setting. I take the "bangs", spray a lot of Aussie Scrunch spray on, and roll the bangs up on a roller brush, and then dry on that low-but-warm setting. Then I do the same deal with roller brush/Aussie Scrunch spray/hairdryer for the top "layer" -- one side; other side; back; then again for the bottom layer, side/side/back. Again, such fine, thin hair that takes about 3 minutes.

4. Hairspray

Hate environmentally to do it, but it's the only thing I've found that's light enough to not weigh the hair down, yet hold it in place and keep volume: Nexxus Maximum Hold hairspray. I spray the heck out of my hair, and it all seems to hold in place for most of the day. It relaxes a little by evening, but still has a little volume left.

The Aussie and Nexxus are available in even the grocery store, and often have coupons. The Redkin I bought online in a big bottle for a cheaper than salon price. BEST of luck in finding what works for your hair and styling! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner...

It's recommend by stylist and doctors for thin, thinning, balding, chemo treatments and general limp hair.

Sally's Beauty Supply has it for under $10 a bottle. Walmart, might have it.

My mom used it when she was on a prescription that caused her hair to thin and one of my brother-in-laws uses it for his manly hair loss.

I've been using their products recently and agree. Good stuff.

every time I splurge and have my hair done at the salon they use a ROOT LIFTER (i'm sure you can find one at walmart)----I have baby fine hair--I use shampoos that don't leave a build up (newest one I"m trying--fructis pure clean)--tresemme also has a good one but can't think of them name at the moment......