Menu

MUS Epsilon

SewLittleTime

What makes it harder? I started my son in Prealgebra but picked up the Epsilon DVD to reinforce understanding for my son. Things like "don't ask why, just flip & multiply" may be "easier" but they don't add to understanding. I didn't even know you could divide fractions without doing that & felt like it helped my understanding and my son's. But knowing that the other strategy is faster and easier, I could see why it might seem like unnecessarily complicating things. Not sure if that's what you were referring to though!

Merry :-)

Is your child in 4th? We were using A Beka in 4th and BOMBED the fractions! We switched to Saxon 5/4 (they don't start fractions till 6/7). Now, dd is in 6th grade, doing Epsilon and FLYING through it. It may just be that your kiddo isn't ready for fractions. Have you always used MUS? Could you maybe do something else and go back to it?

Blessings!

Dorinda

Many students find fractions difficult. In fact, the two concepts--from what I'd consider "basic math"--that I'd say I've spent the most working on with my tutoring students have been fractions and negative numbers. Simple conceptually, but lots of kids get very confused when asked to manipulate them (add, subtract, multiply, divide).

Epsilon is the only MUS book that I have not liked. That is the only one my oldest struggled with. I think the largest problem is that he does not teach them to reduce and find the least common denominator soon enough so the kids are working with huge numbers, which is just intimidating. i think they should dumb down the numbers and make it super easy until they teach that, or teach it first. My husband ended up teaching it to my son and the rest of the book went okay. My daughter is on about lesson 8 and I am considering doing the same.

That's when we switched to TT. ;) I could not wrap my head around the fraction manipulatives or the sample Epsilon lesson from the site. To me, it seemed that they made it way more complicated than it needed to be. I don't think simplicity (or logic, ease-of-use, etc.) ought to be sacrificed on the altar of kinesthetics. The two marry well, but they don't divorce nicely.

Edited by specialmama

Ds is doing fine with it. He is getting it pretty easily, but even he is figuring out the tricks and saying why do I have to do it this longer way. Which is somewhat frustrating b/c I want him to know the why's behind it. But he could honestly care less about why. He just wants to be done with math, so he can move on to reading a book or his history.

This is funny because this is seeming to help my 6th grade ds who has always struggled with fractions. The overlays have helped him to see why you have to multiply BOTH the numerator and denominator by the same number. I see him using the rule of 4 in his TT7 lessons.

Granted, we are only on lesson 5 or 6 so maybe it gets more confusing, but so far I like it.

This is funny because this is seeming to help my 6th grade ds who has always struggled with fractions. The overlays have helped him to see why you have to multiply BOTH the numerator and denominator by the same number. I see him using the rule of 4 in his TT7 lessons.

Granted, we are only on lesson 5 or 6 so maybe it gets more confusing, but so far I like it.

They are all different. Aren't they?:tongue_smilie:

Guess I spoke to early about him getting it. Hhe missed every single problem today. He was having an off day behaviourly, but really every.single.one? I am not feeling the love for Epsilon.

You're ahead of us, so I am not speaking from personal experience, but many of my IRL friends and folks on the living math list recommend Key to Fractions. They're cheap, so it might be worth a try if you want/need a break from Epsilon.

You're ahead of us, so I am not speaking from personal experience, but many of my IRL friends and folks on the living math list recommend Key to Fractions. They're cheap, so it might be worth a try if you want/need a break from Epsilon.

Interesting! I looked at samples and it teaches multiplication and division of fractions before adding and subtracting. They are also super cheap. Which is a huge bonus, since I'm have no money in my homeschool budget at this point. But I could definately swing those. I'm going to sleep on this gem of a recommendation, redo today's lesson with him tomorrow, and reevaluate after the lesson.

Thanks for the idea.:D

I don't think it's Math U See. Some of the goals of Math U See are that they explain how and why and teach for understanding, and so the manipulatives. I for one think the fraction manipulatives and how they are used are amazing! Mr. Demme has shown us on the videos things I never understood until now. But if your child doesn't need the "concrete" examples, maybe you can just move on to the end of the lesson? We've used Math U See from Primer through Epsilon now and love it, but there have been a time or two that we've moved past the concrete examples to just learning the rule, and that's ok with us.

When my son was doing Epsilon, he started to really struggle around lesson 10 and just wasn't getting it. He's always been 1-2 years ahead so this was surprising. I ended up getting him all 4 Key To Fractions books and had him do all of those before going back to Epsilon. He finished Epsilon with no problem then. He's now flying through Zeta.

With my daughter, who's always a year or 2 behind, I had her complete all of the Key To Fractions books before starting Epsilon. She's on lesson 2 now and still struggling, but that's not unusual for her.

Epsilon has been my least favorite book so far. I don't know exactly what I don't like about it, because it does break down the problems, but there's just something that doesn't click with me. That said, we still love MUS and plan to continue with it, but having the gentle introduction of the Key To series really helped. I love them as a supplement!

This is my third time through Epsilon. My boys had no problem with it. My daughter does the lesson and makes numerous mistakes. We redo the concepts and take the test. She scores badly. I have her correct the mistakes, and we move on.

I love the fraction overlays. I do not love the way they teach division before introducing the "flipping". It does seem way to complicated. It is certainly not helping her understanding. It just confuses her.

I may try the "Key to" books. We are already supplementing with Khan Academy and some extra worksheets form the worksheet generator.

So I don't know if it the problem is the book, the particular child (my daughter), or a combination of the two, but this book is making me want to pull my hair out!

• 6 months later...
Epsilon is the only MUS book that I have not liked. That is the only one my oldest struggled with. I think the largest problem is that he does not teach them to reduce and find the least common denominator soon enough so the kids are working with huge numbers, which is just intimidating. i think they should dumb down the numbers and make it super easy until they teach that, or teach it first. My husband ended up teaching it to my son and the rest of the book went okay. My daughter is on about lesson 8 and I am considering doing the same.

So glad to come on here. My dd is at this lesson and even I am getting frusterated with the program and I have been using it since since Gamma and my younger one have stared from the very beginning.

Just saw that this is an old post but it's actually helping me. :) Off to find some extras for Lesson 8. She has done well with 9 and 10 but 8 and problems that go with that lesson have been missed every time. Frusterating.

Edited by Navywife2chief

We just finished Epsilon. Honestly, I thought DS would be in fractions forever, but we persevered and I can tell you that he REALLY UNDERSTANDS FRACTIONS. He scored 100% on his last unit test and 97% on the final test. Now that we are in Zeta, he is blazing through because he understands the concept of fractional values as they relate to decimals.

we just spent the last year + on MUS epsilon. (after using MUS since Beta, successfully, so there was never any question about our 'program') MUS teaches for understanding, that's its basis, that's what it does. We spent the whole last year working, doing, seeing, working some more, using, adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, converting, and god knows what else with fractions. I think we have done everything anyone could ever do with fractions. Yes, it was hard but there may not be anything left that my child hasn't done with fractions! Plus in Epsilon you also spend lots of time working algebraic equations with and w/o fractions.

So funny this thread popped back up! I was just wondering yesterday when my daughter started the Epsilon level because she is just finishing it up now. She has done much better with it than my son! She really has had no problems other than dawdling and forgetting a couple multiplication facts. My son is in Algebra now and doing great. I am an even bigger fan of MUS now!

I am thankful for this thread. My daughter just started using Epsilon. She struggles with math. Maybe I will get Key to Fractions for her to do this summer...and then hit Epsilon in the fall. Would this be a good idea do you think???

This is roughly what I'm doing. I actually didn't like some of the MUS presentation, so we're working through Key to Fractions during a little MUS break and I may pick it up again when we're done, or partway through. I do like Key to Fractions so far!

• 4 weeks later...
Is your child in 4th? We were using A Beka in 4th and BOMBED the fractions! We switched to Saxon 5/4 (they don't start fractions till 6/7). Now, dd is in 6th grade, doing Epsilon and FLYING through it. It may just be that your kiddo isn't ready for fractions. Have you always used MUS? Could you maybe do something else and go back to it?

Blessings!

Dorinda

Thank you!

We just finished Epsilon. Honestly, I thought DS would be in fractions forever, but we persevered and I can tell you that he REALLY UNDERSTANDS FRACTIONS. He scored 100% on his last unit test and 97% on the final test. Now that we are in Zeta, he is blazing through because he understands the concept of fractional values as they relate to decimals.

:iagree::iagree:

Yep, that's what happens.