Menu

s/o Pumkin thread... *REAL* pumpkin pie.

Here's what I did just a few days ago:

I used the Libby's recipe (I found it here on allrecipes.com, but I'm sure it's at the Libby's site, too. Yep; here.) But instead of using canned pumpkin, I used fresh pumpkin.

The Libby's site says here that their 15oz can of pumpkin, which is what the recipe calls for, contains 1 3/4 cups of pumpkin. I just substituted my fresh pumpkin for the canned.

Now, as far as how to pick and cook a pumpkin, Allrecipies has a good article here about it. You'll also find lots of similar advice if you google. I baked mine, and it worked great. I cut the pumpkin in half, scooped out the seeds and strings, then put the halves cut side down in a casserole dish and baked it. Then when it was done and cooled enough to handle it, I scraped all the flesh out of the pumpkin into a bowl. Then I put the flesh into my food processor to get it really smooth.

Next I took a colander, lined it with coffee filters, and put the pumpkin puree in it. I set the colander over a bowl in the fridge, and let the liquid drain out for a few hours. This way, I was sure the pumpkin was thick enough that it wouldn't make the pie runny. I'm not sure if the whole colander/draining thing was REALLY necessary, but I did probably get out about 1/3 cup of liquid, so who knows.

All in all, it was rather easy. Not as easy as opening a can, lol, but not hard. I ended up with roughly enough pumpkin to double the Libby's recipe; I didn't exactly measure it, I just looked and said 'yep, looks like about 3 1/2 cups'. :D Double the Libby's recipe made us two regular sized pies plus one deep casserole dish of crustless pie (I just poured all the rest of the filling that wouldn't fit into the pie shells into another dish and baked it). We ate pumpkin pie for DAYS, lol.

Now, all that to say, I really can't tell a difference between pumpkin pie made from canned pumpkin or fresh pumpkin. It really does taste the same to me. I just enjoy roasting a pumpkin at least once every fall. :)

HTH!

ETA: I bought a pumpking labeled 'pie pumpkin' at the farmer's market. They're much smaller than the Jack 'O Lantern pumpkins. You'll get mixed advice online about if you can use one of the large pumpkins or not. Some say they're too big or stringy or not sweet enough. Other sites say they'll work just fine. I erred on the side of caution, and bought a pie pumpkin.

Edited by bethanyniez

A sugar pumpkin is a small pie pumpkin vs a jack o lantern one. It should be labeled at the store as such. Its supposed to be sweeter than the big ones.

The pie pumpkins are also less watery so they are much better for pie because the pie will be firmer. If you use jack-o-lantern type pumpkin for pie you will have a very soft pie almost custard type of filling

I have the BEST pumpkin pie recipe. Anything from a pre-mixed can tastes disgusting to me in comparison. I even like it after I found out it was from my old neighbor who was really mean to kids when I was growing up. I use "jack o lantern" pumpkin and not the pie pumpkin. Works fine. Here it is:

3 1/2 c pumpkin

1 1/2 c brown sugar

4 eggs

3 T melted butter

2 T dark molasses

1 1/2 t salt

2 t cinnamon

3/4 t ginger

1/2 t nutmeg

1/4 t allspice

1/4 t cloves

1 1/4 c evaporated milk

Tips - make sure the pumpkin is room temperature otherwise the butter clumps and the spices clump to it.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes and turn down to 325 Degrees and finish baking. (30+ minutes). It makes two pies. You know when it's done if a knife inserted perpendicular comes out clean.

This recipe came off the sticker on a Sugar/Pie Pumpkin. It was pretty good!

Cut Pumpkin in half, remove seeds and bake covered with foil about an hour at 350-375 degrees. Remove and mash.

Mix all ingredients until smooth:

1c. sugar (I thought the pie was a little too sweet maybe use a little less sugar...3/4c.)

1/2 t. salt

1 1/2 t. cinnamon

1/2 t. nutmeg

1/2 t. ginger

1/2 t. allspice

1/2 t. cloves

2 eggs

1 1/2 c. pumpkin

1 2/3 c. evaporated milk (I used one can)

Pour into 9in. pie crust and bake 15 minutes at 450 degrees. Lower temp to 325 and continue baking for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

I always use the directions from the Pick Your Own Pumpkin site, and they work great! This year, I actually steamed the pumpkin instead of baking it; it took less time, so I feel like it saved energy. You could bake 3 pumpkins at a time and freeze the mush in 1-cup portions, though, and get lots of the work done ahead of time. I like to cook the pumpkins and let them cool overnight.

First, make sure you roast the pumpkin, rather than baking it. That makes ALL the difference in flavor. ALL. If you are going to boil the pumpkin you might as well just used the canned stuff.

I use the traditional pumpkin pie recipe on the pumpkinmasters.com website. I have used it for close to 10 years now and it is a huge hit. I do adjust the spices to taste, and I use a homemade crust made from gingersnaps, which is divine. (subsitute gingersnaps for graham crackers and use a graham cracker crust recipe)

We love pumpkin pie.:D We have no choice but to make it from scratch as there is no canned pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie filling or pumpkin pie spices available in the UK, or at least not where I am. We've only been able to get the small pumpkins for a few years too.

Here is the filling recipe:

1 pound of pumpkin flesh, roasted and pureed

1/2 pint of double cream (not sure what USA version is called)

2 oz butter

2 oz brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and vanilla extract.

Mix pumpkin and cream. In another bowl cream butter and sugar and gradually add eggs. Add spices then mix with pumpkin/cream mixture.

I'm off to buy a pumpkin.:D