Menu

Kitchenaid stand mixer question- whipping

Ok, my KA arrived. The thing is huge and won't even fit under my cabinets! :glare:

I thought our cabinets were 17" off the counter and they are, but there is a lip on the front that comes down to make it only 16".

Anyway, that isn't even my question.

I tried to whip some egg whites today. But I put in FOUR egg whites and the stupid beater isn't even low enough to whip 4 egg whites. I had to pull out my hand mixer to beat them.

Are all KAs like this or only the large ones?

Dawn

But does it whip between 2 and 4 egg whites only?

I am quite sure mine will whip eggs just find if I put over 8 of them in there!

Dawn

I have a large one, but it is 20 years old. It whips eggs.

However, my simple Braunstick with the whisk attachment does it just as well, with less clean up.

I just use my hand mixer if I am only using 2 to 4 egg whites. It seems like overkill to use my big stand mixer for a handful of egg whites. But then the only time I have whipped egg whites was to make chocolate chip meringue and my handy dandy hand mixer is perfect for that.

But does it whip between 2 and 4 egg whites only?

I am quite sure mine will whip eggs just find if I put over 8 of them in there!

Dawn

I can't remember if I've ever done less than 3, but yes, I use the balloon with a metal bowl and it makes a scraping noise on high gear and whips them. Back when I cooked with a fiery passion, I had a copper liner I put in the plastic bowl that came with the machine. That would do one, and yes, the copper did a nice job.

I have heard the machine changes now and then. I know my old dough hook was replaced with a much better one.

Just as a wild guess, I'd try the paddle on high until the eggs "got going", and then switch to a balloon. In your situation I'd give that a shot. Or, start on a lower speed so that the egg is not flung up along the sides so much until it has some bulk.

Just some guess. GL, and HTH

I just use my hand mixer if I am only using 2 to 4 egg whites. It seems like overkill to use my big stand mixer for a handful of egg whites. But then the only time I have whipped egg whites was to make chocolate chip meringue and my handy dandy hand mixer is perfect for that.

If you've made a batter recipe, and you need whites to fold in, I have popped the whisk and my second bowl on. You already have everything out.

I did not start with the paddle but I did the lower speed thing.

I guess if I have to do that much work and switch paddles, etc....I will just stick with the hand mixer.

Is yours the 6 quart?

Dawn

I can't remember if I've ever done less than 3, but yes, I use the balloon with a metal bowl and it makes a scraping noise on high gear and whips them. Back when I cooked with a fiery passion, I had a copper liner I put in the plastic bowl that came with the machine. That would do one, and yes, the copper did a nice job.

I have heard the machine changes now and then. I know my old dough hook was replaced with a much better one.

Just as a wild guess, I'd try the paddle on high until the eggs "got going", and then switch to a balloon. In your situation I'd give that a shot. Or, start on a lower speed so that the egg is not flung up along the sides so much until it has some bulk.

Just some guess. GL, and HTH

Is yours the 6 quart?

Dawn

Hmmm. It is the biggest one they made back then. I think there is a bigger "engine" now, but same sized bowl. It is the one with crank to raise and lower the bowl.

For the most part, I've used mine to make bread dough, cakes and cookies. When I make waffles, which I whip eggs for, I usually do it with a hand cake whip.

Maybe this will help. This one talks about the beaters being too low rather than too high, but the adjustment is the same and it has pictures.

I can see not wanting to pull out a hand mixer when everything for the stand mixer is already out and getting dirty. I don't even have a regular hand mixer anymore. I gave it to my niece when I bought my KA. I do however, have an immersion blender that also has a whipping attachment, and I have one of those tiny hand mixers. Sometimes it's easier to use one of those than the big stand mixer.

Maybe this will help. This one talks about the beaters being too low rather than too high, but the adjustment is the same and it has pictures.

I can see not wanting to pull out a hand mixer when everything for the stand mixer is already out and getting dirty. I don't even have a regular hand mixer anymore. I gave it to my niece when I bought my KA. I do however, have an immersion blender that also has a whipping attachment, and I have one of those tiny hand mixers. Sometimes it's easier to use one of those than the big stand mixer.

She is right. You can adjust the beaters. Never use a hand mixer if you have a KA. These things were made for whipping.

I have a 6 quart, and the beater touches the bottom of the bowl basically. There is an adjustment to make to have it be that low, if it isn't. Something about how it should be low enough that a penny just barely fits under it, if I remember right. I think it was in the manual, but you could go to their website too. I often whip up whipped cream, and only use a cup of it to do it.