Menu

What does a 9 year old need to go from US to Canada for a visit?

I'm thinking paperwork, etc. The websites seem huge.

Anyone recently crossed? He'd be traveling with dad, who has same last name, but whom he doesn't really resemble. Plus, dad is GF-aged.

Dad has passport, a clean record, a WA registered car (in his name), but we don't have time to get kiddo a passport, I don't think.

Anything else work?

Anyone recently crossed? He'd be traveling with dad, who has same last name, but whom he doesn't really resemble. Plus, dad is GF-aged.

Dad has passport, a clean record, a WA registered car (in his name), but we don't have time to get kiddo a passport, I don't think.

Anything else work?

You don't need a passport for a land crossing. Send his birth certificate and a signed (notarized is good) statement from you that it's okay that he's going. That's all we've needed.

I believe everyone needs a passport (or near equiavlent like passport card) now to cross borders - even the child. This changed with a law in 2009. You can get expedited ones that are more $$. A birth certificate is no longer valid.

Here is a tripadvisor.com page explaining what you need (scroll down to the 'returning US citizen' section): http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s602/United-States:Crossing.The.Border.html

Here's another site detailing it: http://www.clippervacations.com/faq/crossingtheusborder#1318698648657127&if_height=475

Edited by Sevilla

our girls both have passports, and we use them as their ID for ALL flights, domestic or abroad. But our girls are Asian, and there is NO resemblance whatsoever. Even with their passports the TSA guy bent down and talked to each girl VERY FRIENDLY like, but asked them what their name was and how old they were. While looking at their passport.

On a side note, dd5's backpack triggered a major security alarm. The 'sniffer' detected explosives. Gotta watch that Draw Write Now stuff. And colored pencils. :sneaky2:

When I say very friendly like, I don't mean anything that raised red flags. He was just chatting with them and he was one of those guys that you look at and think 'he'd make a GREAT dad!'

Edited by cin

It looks like the child (if he's under 16) will only need an original copy of his birth certificate. The adult will need a passport, passport card or enhanced driver's license (which isn't available everywhere, I don't think).

I'd make sure DH has a letter from you saying he's allowed to travel internationally with your child. It might not be necessary, but it's a simple enough thing and might save being detained. I would also recommend you talk to your child enough so that he knows where he's going and with whom (Dad), and that mom knows he's going to Canada, etc.

Here is information from Canada on bringing a minor into the country: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s1x2

Entry into the US requirements for US citizens, coming from Canada: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens will need to present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

A friend of mine recently traveled into Canada with a passport she didn't realize had just expired. She got into Canada without anyone noticing, but got caught up at the border trying to come back to the States.

They did resolve the problem, obviously, as she returned to tell the tale, but she was stuck there for several hours while phone calls were made.

We took my 13 year old niece with us to Europe and were asked at customs coming back into the U.S. for proof she had permission to travel with us. We had a notarized letter/Power of Attorney from her parents. We flew her out of the country with no questions, though. How scary is that?!

I believe everyone needs a passport (or near equiavlent like passport card) now to cross borders - even the child. This changed with a law in 2009. You can get expedited ones that are more $$. A birth certificate is no longer valid.

Not by land or sea. The first link you posted shows this (as does the office US government website). Passports aren't yet required for children 15 and under if crossing by land or sea.

A friend of mine recently traveled into Canada with a passport she didn't realize had just expired. She got into Canada without anyone noticing, but got caught up at the border trying to come back to the States. They did resolve the problem, obviously, as she returned to tell the tale, but she was stuck there for several hours while phone calls were made.

If they were 15 and under, and had had their birth certificates, they wouldn't have had a problem. Of course passports work, but if you don't have them for children you can still use the birth certificate when crossing by land or sea. I'm guessing it took several hours because they didn't have their birth certificates in lieu of the expired passport? The biggest problem I ever had was when I didn't take a letter from my husband. That's when we had to go inside and wait while they made some calls.

Edited by milovaný

You don't need a passport for a land crossing. Send his birth certificate and a signed (notarized is good) statement from you that it's okay that he's going. That's all we've needed.

:iagree: (your ds doesn't need a passport, but his father does)

We cross the border every 20 days or so, and the above info. is correct.

Make sure the notarized letter you provide giving his father permission to take him across the border includes your contact info. (address, phone, cell number) because they may call you to make sure it is valid. The border guards may not even ask for the letter, but in the event it is requested, their crossing may be seriously delayed if they don't have it.

Hope all goes well!

:iagree: (your ds doesn't need a passport, but his father does)

We cross the border every 20 days or so, and the above info. is correct.

Make sure the notarized letter you provide giving his father permission to take him across the border includes your contact info. (address, phone, cell number) because they may call you to make sure it is valid. The border guards may not even ask for the letter, but in the event it is requested, their crossing may be seriously delayed if they don't have it.

Hope all goes well!

You rarely need the letter but abducting children is big with the border guards. Often they would ask my dc who was driving and chat with them. Our rules are no talking once you can see the border station and only speak if spoken to, no joking around. Hats off and everyone needs to be awake. It's really more of a pain to come home. :D

We had passports with our names on them but the border crossing still questioned my youngest quite a bit. He is so shy and almost started crying but the guy didn't want us to answer for him! It really scared him. He is a different race than we are.

I didn't know minors didn't need a passport. We had them already anyway.

Dawn

Anything else work?

Passport. To get a passport would require both parents signatures. It's less the getting into canada and more the getting back into the US. You can go to the federal building in seattle first-thing in the morning, and if you're lucky you'll actually get a same day passport (you pay for it. My sil did that on a friday when she was leaving for europe on sunday night.)

Passport. To get a passport would require both parents signatures. It's less the getting into canada and more the getting back into the US. You can go to the federal building in seattle first-thing in the morning, and if you're lucky you'll actually get a same day passport (you pay for it. My sil did that on a friday when she was leaving for europe on sunday night.)

This is not correct about needing a passport. The 9yo boy does not need a passport for a land crossing, either way. Sorry to keep saying it, but this is what the USA official website says and this is how it plays out at the border. (See above posts.) I've even told our postmaster general this and he's said I'm wrong, too. But truly, this is correct information.

It IS true that you can get an expedited passport in Seattle. You do have to make the appointment ahead of time (not just show up at the building in the morning; they ask you for the proof of appointment or something when you arrive). They prefer you to come back the next day to pick up the passport, but if you stand there and look blankly at them, and then tell them you live two hours away and took the day off work to get there THAT day, they'll put even a little more rush on it and get it to you later that afternoon.

i would bet more on your being right than on my being right. My memory is getting pretty bad. I DO know that the passport was faster to get than the DMV option...that was a stinker.

I is wrights. ;)

From the State Department website page just this minute:

"When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens will need to present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate." (Source)

I'm not concerned with proving myself right -- I just don't want Kalanamak to go to a bunch of work that's not necessary. I've done the "get a passport in a day" thing and it's not fun; it's not hard, but it's not a great experience either (although we did "make lemonade" the day I had to do this; I took two of my kids with me and we spent the day toodling around Seattle, including going up the big, big black building which was TONS cheaper than the Space Needle).

If you have his birth certificate, and can notarize a letter authorizing his travel, Kalanamak, he's ready to go.

Edited by milovaný

When my kids went from Canada to the US (so reverse of what you are doing) they needed a passport, and a notorized letter stating who was taking them across the border and signed by me. If I was still married or had joint custody I would have needed my husband's signature too (my brother was taking them), I also had to include a copy of my custody papers showing only my name on the notorized letter was needed. For just your dh to take the child something signed by you is needed, Canada is paranoid about parents kidnapping kids and taking them across borders.

ETA: just finished the thread. I had no idea that US citizens did not need a passport to get into Canada. PITB that for Canadians to go south of the border we need one. You would think it would be the same for both sides.

Edited by swellmomma