Menu

Gentle and kinds book suggestions for my 9 yo

My 9 yo reads on a high school level and we've just about run out of books for her at the library. She is very affected by what she reads and can become very snarky and grouchy when she reads books that have disrespectful characters. I am looking for books that have a more gentle tone. She could easily polish off 20 books a week, so I need to hunt down some reading material.

She has read all of the American Girls series, several Anne of Green Gables, All of the My America series, most Hardy Boys, Saddles, Stars, Stripes series, My Side of the Mountain series..... I am sure there are more I am not thinking of.

If you have some book titles we could take a look at, I would really appreciate the info.!

Edited by Sheldon

Has she read any Louisa May Alcott? Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, An Old Fashioned Girl...

How about classic Fairy tales like Hans Christian Anderson and The Lang series? (Some "scary" content, but no mouthy characters who don't get a comeupance.)

France Hodgson Burnett? (The Secret Garden, The Little Princess)

George MacDonald? The Princess and the Goblins, The Princess and Curdie, and others

Check the Ambleside Online lists to see what else might be out there.

Has she read any Louisa May Alcott? Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, An Old Fashioned Girl...

How about classic Fairy tales like Hans Christian Anderson and The Lang series? (Some "scary" content, but no mouthy characters who don't get a comeupance.)

France Hodgson Burnett? (The Secret Garden, The Little Princess)

George MacDonald? The Princess and the Goblins, The Princess and Curdie, and others

Check the Ambleside Online lists to see what else might be out there.

She has read some, but not all of these, I'll put them on hold, thanks so much!

How does she do with silly humor? My daughters love Joan Aiken's Arabel and Mortimer books (start with Arabel's Raven). They are so funny and well-written. Aiken was one of the best children's authors of the 20th century, most famous for the adventurous Wolves of Willoughby Chase series--it has some scary bits but in an adventurous way, not a dark way. It's long, too, and has lots of funny made-up talk and alternate history.

Elizabeth Goudge was a wonderful writer--The Little White Horse and her other children's books are just beautiful. I love Linnets and Valerians.

Eleanor Farjeon is one of my all-time favorites. She wrote lots of books too, but many are hard to get now. Look for The Little Bookroom and Martin Pippin in the Apple Orchard to start with.

How does she do with silly humor? My daughters love Joan Aiken's Arabel and Mortimer books (start with Arabel's Raven). They are so funny and well-written. Aiken was one of the best children's authors of the 20th century, most famous for the adventurous Wolves of Willoughby Chase series--it has some scary bits but in an adventurous way, not a dark way. It's long, too, and has lots of funny made-up talk and alternate history.

Elizabeth Goudge was a wonderful writer--The Little White Horse and her other children's books are just beautiful. I love Linnets and Valerians.

Eleanor Farjeon is one of my all-time favorites. She wrote lots of books too, but many are hard to get now. Look for The Little Bookroom and Martin Pippin in the Apple Orchard to start with.

Thanks, I'll check them out. There are several series that I read as a child that are out of print. Makes me so mad!

She might like Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis. A couple of bad things happen to the main character but he doesn't become bitter; he still has a positive outlook.

Does she like goofy? Hank the Cowdog would fit the bill. And The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks, though that series is OOP.

Richard Peck has some that are light and humorous: The Teacher's Funeral, A Season of Gifts, and Here Lies the Librarian.

Has she read the Andrew Clements books? Frindle and Room One are our favorites.

Ginger Pye and Pinky Pye (by Somebody Estes...Eleanor?) are lovely and gentle.

And my favorite book when I was your daughter's age was Two Are Better Than One (Carol Brink); all about a friendship between two girls who aren't quite as sophisticated as the other girls their age (they dress as ragdolls to go to a costume party when all the other girls color their lips and dress as Martha Washington). I just love that they want to stay young and play with their dolls a little longer. I still read it once a year or so.

It's ok to get upset.

I am not sure it's such a great idea to try and control emotions literary works might bring to the surface.

Even the Wizard of Oz begins with anger.

Some of the books mentioned in this thread have layers that can stir emotion.

I need a little more clarity about what you're trying to avoid before I make recommendations (and making book recommendations is one of my most favorite things!) :)

Edited by LibraryLover

If she liked the Hardy Boys, how about The Three Investigators. Nancy Drew, perhaps?

She doesn't care for Nancy Drew, at least not yet. I LOVED the Three Investigators, but the books have been out of print for awhile. I wish I could find them! I owned them all as a child.

It's ok to get upset.

I am not sure it's such a great idea to try and control emotions literary works might bring to the surface.

Even the Wizard of Oz starts with anger.

I cried for weeks after reading Anne Frank's diary.

Some of the books mentioned in this thread have layers that can stir emotion.

I am not worried about upset, I don't like the rude words coming from her mouth when she is reading books that have rude characters. It seems that many books have themes of general disrespect to adults. We monitor TV similarly and don't watch things where the parents and adults are treated like they are stupid.

I am not worried about upset, I don't like the rude words coming from her mouth when she is reading books that have rude characters. It seems that many books have themes of general disrespect to adults. We monitor TV similarly and don't watch things where the parents and adults are treated like they are stupid.

What sorts of books is she reading? What does she like? If she is reading some of the lesser quality pre teen lit, it will take some gentleness and time to get her to move from that. The writing styles of those books are are quite different from some of the books folks have mentioned here. You might quicken the process with some read alouds. Some books are difficult for children to read on their own, but quite wonderful when read aloud by an adult. There are also some wonderful modern writiers who might win her over and help her to leave some of the junk behind. Kathryn Lasky and Cynthia Rylant are two current authors who write well and respect the literary needs of young people.

I might have some tranistional titles/ideas if I know what she currently enjoys.

Edited by LibraryLover

The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton. It's considered by some to be a Canadian classic.

It's hard to read, but a good listen, "The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew" by Margaret Sidney.

"The Year of Miss Agnes" by Kirkpatrick Hill.

The Melendy Series by Elizabeth Enright. (The Saturdays, The Four Story Mistake, Then There Were Five, Spiderweb for Two: Melendy Maze). I haven't read this series since I was young, but I remember it fondly.

The Enchanted Forest Series by Patricica C. Wrede. (Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, Talking to Dragons).

Princess Cimorene wants more out of life than to be the wife of a boring, proper prince. Tired of her sedate existence, she takes up fencing, cooking, Latin, even magic. But each endeavor is ended with the admonition that "princesses just don't do that." Faced with marriage, she decides it's time to find some adventures of her own and runs away, ending up as the dragon Kazul's "princess," and finding adventure, danger, and challenges galore.

What sorts of books is she reading? What does she like? If she is reading some of the lesser quality pre teen lit, it will take some gentleness and time to get her to move from that. The writing styles of those books are are quite different from some of the books folks have mentioned here. You might quicken the process with some read alouds. Some books are difficult for children to read on their own, but quite wonderful when read aloud by an adult. There are also some wonderful modern writiers who might win her over and help her to leave some of the junk behind. Kathryn Lasky and Cynthia Rylant are two current authors who write well and respect the literary needs of young people.

I might have some tranistional titles/ideas if I know what she currently enjoys.

She loves historical fiction, Hank the Cowdog, Understoond Betsy, Caddie Woodlawn, Johnny Tremain, The Black Stallion, Garfield comic books, Jean Craighead-George books.... I'll try to think of some more. She has no interest (yet) in books like The Lightening Thief.

Thanks so much for the help! I'll look up Lasky and Rylant, the names are familiar, but I can't think of what they've written.

The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton. It's considered by some to be a Canadian classic.

It's hard to read, but a good listen, "The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew" by Margaret Sidney.

"The Year of Miss Agnes" by Kirkpatrick Hill.

The Melendy Series by Elizabeth Enright. (The Saturdays, The Four Story Mistake, Then There Were Five, Spiderweb for Two: Melendy Maze). I haven't read this series since I was young, but I remember it fondly.

The Enchanted Forest Series by Patricica C. Wrede. (Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, Talking to Dragons).

Princess Cimorene wants more out of life than to be the wife of a boring, proper prince. Tired of her sedate existence, she takes up fencing, cooking, Latin, even magic. But each endeavor is ended with the admonition that "princesses just don't do that." Faced with marriage, she decides it's time to find some adventures of her own and runs away, ending up as the dragon Kazul's "princess," and finding adventure, danger, and challenges galore.

Thanks! She read The Saturdays, but I never pursued the other books. Off to put them on hold!

A few more ideas to consider if she hasn't read them already:

The Wheel on the School

Snow Goose

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Trumpeter of Krakow

The White Stag

I, Juan de Pareja

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!

A Door in the Wall

The Wheel on the School and Snow Goose is the only ones she has read on this list, thank you!!

She might like Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis. A couple of bad things happen to the main character but he doesn't become bitter; he still has a positive outlook.

Does she like goofy? Hank the Cowdog would fit the bill. And The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks, though that series is OOP.

Richard Peck has some that are light and humorous: The Teacher's Funeral, A Season of Gifts, and Here Lies the Librarian.

Has she read the Andrew Clements books? Frindle and Room One are our favorites.

She has read lots of Hank the Cowdog and Bud Not Buddy, but the Clements title or anything by Richard Peck.

The Betsy-Tacy books?

The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet and sequels?

The Oz books by Frank Baum?

The shoe books (Ballet Shoes, Dancing Shoes, etc.)?

She has read Betsy-Tacy an Oz, but not the others. Thank you!

Ginger Pye and Pinky Pye (by Somebody Estes...Eleanor?) are lovely and gentle.

And my favorite book when I was your daughter's age was Two Are Better Than One (Carol Brink); all about a friendship between two girls who aren't quite as sophisticated as the other girls their age (they dress as ragdolls to go to a costume party when all the other girls color their lips and dress as Martha Washington). I just love that they want to stay young and play with their dolls a little longer. I still read it once a year or so.

She love the Pye books, but hasn't read Two are Better than One. It sounds perfect for her! Our library doesn't have it, so I'll have to purchase that one.

Enid Blyton's books.

Often older books are more gentle less snarky.

:iagree: This is what I was going to recommend. Americans generally don't know Enid Blyton but I believe world-wide she is one of the most read chidlren's authors EVER. You can get The Famous Five series, The Secret Seven, there are a bunch of different collections. I find them formulaic (group of British school children are friends, eat lovely scones, love their mummy, solve mysteries over their holidays and then go back to bording school!) but they are wildly popular.

BTW - I have a 10 year old just like your DD. We are trying to collect the books on the ALA top 100 children's books of all time (not so easy from Bangalore!) We have found some gems in there - check it out.

She loves historical fiction, Hank the Cowdog, Understoond Betsy, Caddie Woodlawn, Johnny Tremain, The Black Stallion, Garfield comic books, Jean Craighead-George books.... I'll try to think of some more. She has no interest (yet) in books like The Lightening Thief.

Thanks so much for the help! I'll look up Lasky and Rylant, the names are familiar, but I can't think of what they've written.

Lasky has lots written historical fiction. I can't bring all titles to mind, and I don't have a search window open right now- I'm giving myself only a few minutes here. lol I believe she wrote some of The Royal Princess Diary series. Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, comes to mind. My daughter read that at about your dd's age (10, I think). It was a tough topic, but the book is not graphic and there are only photos at the end the book showing family pictures, and maybe there is one of Rasputin. But none of those photos showing walls blown out from bullet holes or anything. Another of Lasky's is The Last Girls of Pompeii. Both sad topics, but historical fiction is a tough nugget at times.

Edited by LibraryLover