Menu

What do you do with your 3 year old?

trishalinn

I'd love to find some more things for my 3yo DS to do while I'm working on school with my 3rd grade DS and caring for my twin infants. He is such a busy loud child and I have a hard time keeping him occupied so he isn't too distracting to my son that is working on school work. We have lots of jigsaw puzzles that he enjoys and he colors/draws and likes to do lace-up's every once in a while. He loves watching TV, but I don't typically let him watch any until after his nap because I like to limit the amount of media time. Unlike my older DS, he really doesn't play with "toys" too much other than balls.

Any good suggestions? Maybe some good Christmas present ideas for the grandparents?

We get through the day with these things:

Rod And Staff "about three" work books - cheap and perfect for the 3-4 age group.

Dry Erase Maze book and dry erase crayons

Kumon work books (this can be expensive, so I have many in page protectors to use with the dry erase crayons)

Playdoh

Magna Tiles http://www.amazon.com/Valtech-Co-2300-Magna-tiles-Piece/dp/B000CBR4X8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318370914&sr=8-2

Mr. Potato Head and pieces

Thomas wooden train track

File Folder Games

Preschool. Sorry, I tried to get him to stay occupied & quiet, but between his noisiness and the layout of our house, that was a bust. Now that he's almost four, he can play with the iphone or the computer, or watch a movie, and we can get about an hour. 2/3 was really, really hard!

Things he'll just do and disappear with?

duct tape

scissors

plasma car

puzzles

window crayons

dry erase boards

rice bin with little things buried inside

washing dishes

PLAYMOBILE (hint, hint for Christmas)

Others have said it, and it is proving true for us, he works quite well by himself once I've filled his bucket by working with just him. So if there's sanity to be had, that's one thing to try. I'm also working on getting him hooked on Mr. Rogers. Amazon Prime has it to view.

My 3yo keeps us highly distracted too. I totally understand. And last year was worse!

Some things I'm doing this year are

1. a plastic pool (4ft diameter?) with dry beans and sand toys, can be used indoors on the back porch.

2. Dot paints. You can strap him into a booster seat at a table prepped for dot paints and give him a few pieces of paper, or even tape a large piece of butcher paper over the table and let him at it.

3. We do one video a day; saving it for later in the school morning, near 11am or so.

4. Never use his "regular" toys; always set some aside as "special" toys for school time. Even now my 3yo begs for dot paints and at this moment, for finger paints. I only do that in protected areas for minimal mess & clean-up.

Good luck!

Melissa

PRESCHOOL would be my absolute first choice. Otherwise:

rice or bean box with toys inside, scoops, containers

sink or bath tub with containers, shaving cream, and soap with egg beater to make bubbles

matchbox cars with mat/ obstacles

wedgets with cards

legos, blocks, magnatiles

sink with pan of soapy water

spray bottle of water and towels to wash mirrors

computer games/ dvds/ apps

Montessori manipulatives: pitchers and pouring things, tweezers, peg board, clothes pins on a can/ matching with stickers, things like that

child's wading pool filled with paper and straws and magazines and scissors

balls, climbers, trampoline

toothpicks and a cheese shaker

jewels and ice cube tray and spoon

Don't have much to say, but I love the idea of putting a little in a small pool to make a mess :lol: That is brilliant.

Oh my I mean a plastic pool with no water in it, like a playpen ... sorry if I scared you.

Edited by lmrich
I sounded mental

My life has improved greatly since buying the Faber Castell My First Scissors. You can see my 2yo cutting here on my blog:

http://teachafish.blogspot.com/2011/09/product-review-faber-castell-scissors.html

It's still crazy-chaotic during schooltime, but I do get a little peace (piece? lol) with these scissors and 3x5 cards for cutting. Then I just have to clean up all the little shreds all over the floor, and keep her from cutting the schoolbooks.

My little guy loves Reading Eggs!

so does mine!

something else that works for short periods of time is sending him on quests, like find 7 different leaves in the back yard or pick out 5 books for me to read to you or match this pile of socks. if these quests end with us making a leaf man or reading or making sock puppets out of odd socks then he is more likely to do other independent tasks.

so does mine!

something else that works for short periods of time is sending him on quests, like find 7 different leaves in the back yard or pick out 5 books for me to read to you or match this pile of socks. if these quests end with us making a leaf man or reading or making sock puppets out of odd socks then he is more likely to do other independent tasks.

Love it!!!!! :)

I noticed a couple of people mentioned duct tape... was that for my son to play with or to use on him :D

Yes. ;)

I'd make it a plan to rotate whatever it is he does, but insist he sticks to it. My 3yo is a girl so you really can't compare the two. Books on tape might also be worth the time.

I have tried making his own level workbox and to no evail it didn't workout long enough...few minutes. I had everything from pom pom's...to magnets...to coloring and marker board activities.

I finally just would send him into the living room to watch tv. Then after 15min he'd come back into the room and be a toddler with his demands and hollaring and whining...well of course...the poor guy was being put off!! So I found solutions the past couple weeks and it's literally been so much more PLEASANT in the house and that mommy guilt is slowly fading...FINALLY!

The winners so far have been...

starfall.com - I like that he can do simple clicks and play and learn. He can handle this for about 20min at a time.

readingeggs.com - This is by far the favorite because it's actual LESSONS and requires his attention. He loves playing and learning and can do this for 45min at a time somedays!

playdoh - He loves using his plastic knives to cut up the playdoh or his scissors to cut it, I toss a throw away roasting pan in the middle of his little table with silverware, his preschool scissors, muffin tin and cookie cutters along with his "month theme playdoh"..and he goes to town for upto an hour somedays!!

paper and scissors - This can keep him busy for 35min usually, but creates a HUGE mess!

Edited by mamaofblessings

My problem comes in with my 3rd grader having a fit that the 3yo gets to do all these fun things while she has to do the boring school work.

I have found fun things to keep my 3yo happy, but I've ended up not doing them much yet since it upsets our school day even more. I know I need to deal with my 8yo attitude and concept of fun, but for now I have resorted to doing most everything (except me reading aloud to them) during the 2-hour nap in the afternoon.

I feel for you!

Nikki

Nikki, I totally sympathize.

If you haven't already, try this. Tie the 8yo's attitude and work ethic to the fun activities. Plan some "not-quite-so-fun" things for the 3yo in the morning, that aren't as enticing to the 8yo. Then, as you start your day, share with the 8yo what the plan is for the little one that day, with the more fun things a bit later on. Tell the 8yo you would love for him to join his sibling, as long as he finishes his work in a timely manner and with a good attitude. You could even, say, reward him for every i.e., workbook he gets through with a good attitude and working hard, he gets 15 minutes of play with the 3yo's activity. Something like that...

Best of luck!

-Melissa

I have 3 year old but she is used to our school schedule and not distracting. Now I can't imagine having my oldest ds at age 3 around during school.:lol: Basically she joins the big kids for Spanish and exercise in the morning. Once I start seat work with the big kids I get out a bucket of toys and my littles play. She has a workbook that she does a few pages of most days when she asks and I do LHTH with her right after lunch. She also joins us for composer and artist study(she loves these two things.)Sometimes she watches leapfrog, or plays easy computer games. Other than that during school she just plays.

If I do "school" with my 3yo before I do lessons with the older ones, I find she's much more content to play on her own. I don't make it fun and games, but some MEP Reception (preschool math) and BOB Book reading generally provide enough snuggle-Mom time to fill her cup for the morning lesson time. If she still wants more after those we pull Phonics Pathways out.

We do workboxes for both of my kids. My 3yo even had them last year when she was just 2. Worked brilliantly for us. Last year was all sticker books, dry erase activities, crayons, puzzles, etc. This year she has a handwriting book, fun workbook pages, cut and paste activities, etc in addition to those other things. Most of her activities are self-led, but I make sure that at least one box requires me to give her undivided attention (while DS works on something independent). Some days it's MEP, but others it's simply a game or a book to cuddle up and read together. Like others suggested, we have certain materials put away for just school time so they're more entertaining.

We used to jump right in on math with my 1st grader every morning. But then my 3yo was always wanting more attention from the get go. Simply starting our day with family read alouds and family memory work has really helped.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

My 3 year little girls has just discovered Lincoln Logs... she will build with them for hours and hours... and intermix them with her wooden blocks...