Menu

Maximum Structured Sport Activity for 2 Year Old?

Short story:

How much time, max, would you allow a two-and-a-half-year-old to spend in an organized sport per week? (Allowing that the child loves it, and begs constantly for it?)

Long story (if anyone is interested):

A month ago, upon moving to the northwest, I signed my daughter up for a kiddie gymnastics class to meet some new friends in this little retirement town and have a physical outlet during the rainy winter when we can't go to the park. She's two and a half. If it weren't for the recent move, I probably wouldn't have even considered signing her up for an actual sport at this age. I'm not all that big on littles in structured activities outside the home. But, 45min per week is not exactly a big deal, right?

When I first talked to the coach, he suggested the toddler Mommy and Me class, but since I couldn't do that with the baby sister, he said we could try out the starting 3 to 5 year old class. Now, a month later, he keeps asking me to bring her at different times, and seems to be seriously considering asking to put her into two or three different classes, totaling three or four hours per week! Two of those hours would be with girls about two to five years older than her, in the class one step below pre-competition team!

On the one hand, I am totally taken aback. I have never thought that filling up a little kid's days with structured activities was a good plan. And I never thought of any of my kids competing in anything before at least preteen age, which is obviously where this road leads. I know basically nothing about gymnastics, but have vague ideas from somewhere about agressive, pushy moms and little girls with too much pressure. And I don't want what was supposed to be a nice social and physical outlet to take over our lives.

But, of course I am pleased to discover that she has a talent which she loves. She begs every day to go to the gym. I have been pretty impressed at some of the stuff she has already done in this month alone, and even more so with the difference in the past month in her following directions and the confidence and self discipline she exhibits in class. She is more focused in the class with the bigger girls, gets a little distracted in the other. If she is the one motivating it, and has a love for it, would it be wrong of me to hold her back from doing what she loves? And, after all, it might be nice to have an outlet for that boundless energy more than once a week during the long, wet winter

Thanks. I haven't brought this up to any of my friends IRL for fear they would think I was just trying to brag.

That sounds very interesting.

Well, we did a sport where one could choose to do it a LOT. And we did. And then we practiced at home also. But my kids weren't 2 or 3 when we did. Had they been? Well, we probably wouldn't have gone as much as we did; but I think we still would have gone a lot. So a talented kid *could have* participated to the degree capable and willing.

Here would be my concern: She loves it now, but there will be times she may not. Pushing through a class or two during a more challenging time (whether because of the sport or because of her) may be reasonable. Doing it several classes a week? It isn't like *she* can decide, at this point, whether *she* wants to take this path.

What would happen if you allowed two classes per week ? (btw, one thing that drives me NUTS about gymnastics is that it *is* only once a week and costs as much as martial arts and more than most other sports...all of which allows a participant multiple opportunities of practice per week) Two classes per week isn't overwhelming. It isn't overly structuring her (or YOUR) day or week. It will give her twice as much opportunity but not be particularly pushy.

The other thing is that if she stalls, she won't be tied down to many expensive classes. It seems reasonable to me that children learn things in spurts. And sometimes those down times can be a bit long (and worrisome when it is reading or math! LOL).

Oh, I'm just not much help. I think *I* would go with a middle road, something like twice a week.

As for pushing? I think that is more of a personality thing. My son was competing for a state title and competed in competitions higher than that and did well. I certainly suggested he practiced, but I wasn't particularly pushy and he was very hard headed. So it worked out just right. He was motivated MOST by his own ability, really. I now have a new little one with an extreme talent. I definitely want to give her opportunities. Our main concern is money.

I wouldn't take her in more than once or twice a week. Things are going well now, but she could so easily burn out. It would be better to progress slowly and have her beg for more gymnastics (and possibly you could put some equipment up around your house) than to have a burned-out child who never wants to go near a gym again.

Personally, I'm against competitive gymnastics as a whole, so I'd either find another place that focuses on skills and FUN for a *2* year old or make it absolutely clear that I'm not going more than twice a week (2 hours). That would be my limit, with clear intentions that my kid isn't going to start down the competition path.

My daughter was doing gymnastics at age 2 and one hour a week was plenty at that age. She just turned 5 and is in an advanced class and she still only does one hour a week, but we will look into increasing that next year. She also does dance (which she LOVES) and we just went to 3 hours a week this fall. I would seriously question a coach who wants a TWO year old in class more than one (or possibly two) hour(s) a week, no matter how good she seems to be!

My dance classes for two year olds are 30 minutes once a week. I think the gym in our building does mommy and new for an hour at that age. Kids come once a week until k/1st grade. At that point, if they show potential and mom and dad are okay with it, tue kids might come twice a week. I know they have some 7 year olds who do 2 hours a day, twice a week. This gym is owned and run by a former Olympic coach.

5-7 year olds can do things that a two year old should not attempt, no matter how talented. I would be stern in saying that this for fun for dd right now. You will remain with kids her age once a week. If they keep pressuring you, find a new activity. I would say, they don't have her best interest in mind. That is just my opinion.

As much as she wanted (and as often as I was willing). That's the beauty of being 2.5, one has time for whatever. :D

Then again, my concern would be what is appropriate for her body. I don't know the answer to that, but I'd want to know.

I'd be interested to see what kinds of stress gymnastics put on the body at so young an age.

I do know that competitive gymnastics can be horrible on the body--if the coach is wanting her now, he's obviously grooming her for that direction.

I'm all for having a physical outlet and doing fun stuff, but I think I'd hold off on gymnastics for more than once a week, and find something else fun she could do--maybe swimming? (if it needs to be structured)

How much time, max, would you allow a two-and-a-half-year-old to spend in an organized sport per week? (Allowing that the child loves it, and begs constantly for it?)

I've been a gymnastics coach, and I would say don't do it.

Leave her in the 3-5 yr old class, go twice per week. The physical structure of 2-yr-olds is such that they should not be doing a lot of the skills older kids are doing (looser joints, head large in comparison to their body.) A good teacher would know this and adjust the lesson plan accordingly for your daughter, but what if the regular teacher has a sub?

Plus, there is no rush if your daughter is 2. I would not put one of my children in an advanced class until age 4 at least. Do they have open gym times? Then you can just take your dd in and let her play on the equipment- that would build her strength, so when she's ready to put in more time she's ready.

ETA- as your daughter does increase hours in the gym, be sure to watch the class. Make sure it stays fun and exciting for her, and the coach does not treat 5-yr-olds like they are 15 and training for the Olympics. That attitude will burn the kids out fast.

Edited by PiCO

Then again, my concern would be what is appropriate for her body. I don't know the answer to that, but I'd want to know.

This is one of my concerns, and I am trying to figure out who I should ask, since I know nothing about the sport.

I'd either find another place that focuses on skills and FUN for a *2* year old or make it absolutely clear that I'm not going more than twice a week (2 hours).

The coach does keep it fun and focus for skills for now, and anything that the older girls are doing that she struggles with he does not insist that she do, just allows her to try it if she wants to. But it is still a lot of time, and I am concerned where this might lead, even though he hasn't said a word about competition as yet.

5-7 year olds can do things that a two year old should not attempt, no matter how talented. I would be stern in saying that this for fun for dd right now. You will remain with kids her age once a week. If they keep pressuring you, find a new activity. I would say, they don't have her best interest in mind. That is just my opinion.

We tried going to the 45min class for older 2 to three year olds yesterday. She was happy to be at the gym, but after a while she started getting distracted and goofing off a little as she was getting bored. The things they were doing were so simple, and she wasn't as excited as she has been in the 3 to five class.

I think I'd hold off on gymnastics for more than once a week, and find something else fun she could do--maybe swimming? (if it needs to be structured)

I would love to have her doing other things, but we just moved to a tiny town that is mostly populated by retirees, and there are very few options around for kids' activities. The structured was only because I wanted something out of the weather during the winter, and this was the only option I found.

Leave her in the 3-5 yr old class, go twice per week. The physical structure of 2-yr-olds is such that they should not be doing a lot of the skills older kids are doing (looser joints, head large in comparison to their body.) A good teacher would know this and adjust the lesson plan accordingly for your daughter, but what if the regular teacher has a sub?

The 3-5 yr old classes are once per week, do you mean take her to two of them? Only the advanced class meets twice per week. The coach seems to be good with kids and to know what he is doing, but I worry that I don't know enough to evaluate if what he is having her do is appropriate or not.

Do they have open gym times? Then you can just take your dd in and let her play on the equipment- that would build her strength, so when she's ready to put in more time she's ready.

ETA- as your daughter does increase hours in the gym, be sure to watch the class. Make sure it stays fun and exciting for her, and the coach does not treat 5-yr-olds like they are 15 and training for the Olympics. That attitude will burn the kids out fast.

I wish they did have open gym. That was what I was hoping for originally, that I could just pay to take her in to play on the equipment. But it is a very small gym, being converted from an auditorium, and parts of it are under construction still. He said they might start after all the construction is done.

I wouldn't allow her to participate at all if she didn't want to or the coach was pressuring her. Thank you so much for your input.

My DD is 4 and in the advanced class at her gym. It is for 3-5 year olds and feeds into pre-team. She goes 2x a week for an hour each time. Maybe you misunderstood the coach. Was he/she trying to explain her possible progression? At an early age, behavior is the biggest issue in the classes. Does your dd sit nicely, wait her turn, and complete activities on her own? If the coach saw something in her I would go with what he said.

Another thought: How competitive is the gym? Also, are there any parents there that you could talk to? Anyone who has older children that have stayed with the gym long enough to help you out? And how new is the gym and coach. Just some things to consider. At the very least, I would go observe each different class to see how I felt about what was taking place.

Edited by southernm

The preschool pre-team at my DD's gym still seems to be pretty low key and fun (and are SO darling to watch), so you might want to see what they're doing and then decide. If it's mostly just more gym hours building skills and stamina, but without a lot of pressure, and she likes it, I'd try it. No one is going to fault you for choosing to back off if it ends up being too much so young.

I used to take my kids to Kindergym when they were really little. My DD had great co-ordination and a lot of fearlessness. The coach was always asking/suggesting to me that I put her in more formal lessons because she showed a real natural affinity for it. I refused because I only wanted to do this for fun - I didn't want my DD in a sport that has a high rate of injury at so young an age.

We ended up with a scheduling conflict and I took my kids out of Kindergym to go to a local playgroup instead. So much more beneficial for a 2 yo and I've never regretted it. My kids have gained so much more and had a lot more fun at playgroup then at gym. At 2yo kids need practice with social skills more then they need training in competitive sport.

So my answer is no - I wouldn't do it.

My DD is 4 and in the advanced class at her gym. It is for 3-5 year olds and feeds into pre-team. She goes 2x a week for an hour each time. Maybe you misunderstood the coach. Was he/she trying to explain her possible progression? At an early age, behavior is the biggest issue in the classes. Does your dd sit nicely, wait her turn, and complete activities on her own? If the coach saw something in her I would go with what he said.

Another thought: How competitive is the gym? Also, are there any parents there that you could talk to? Anyone who has older children that have stayed with the gym long enough to help you out? And how new is the gym and coach. Just some things to consider. At the very least, I would go observe each different class to see how I felt about what was taking place.

No, we tried the class with kids her age, and afterwards he walked over to me and said that he really didn't know where to put her, but that was definitely not right for her. Then he asked if we could stay for the class starting then (at 4:30). She had a great time, and was obviously more focused and excited in this class. Afterwards, I asked when to bring her back, and he said on Tuesday. I asked, "At 3:30?" and he said no, then stopped and looked at his clipboard. Then he said, "Well, she could do that one, too," then told me that the more advanced class she had just been with meets on Tuesday, too. Later I looked up what that class was, that meets 2x per week for an hour, and it was the "Advanced" class, one step below pre-competition. So he has invited her to come for two consecutive hours on Tuesday, to a slightly more advanced class for 3 to 5 (mostly 5s) followed by the advanced class.

My daughter is definitely two in most of her behavior, but I have seen remarkable improvement in her holding still, waiting her turn, following directions, and focusing on what the class is doing--more so in the harder classes than the easier ones. I don't really know how competitive the gym is. The website says that the coach for their younger classes has been coaching for over 30 years. The gym used to be in a dance hall, and has recently moved to an auditorium that is still under construction when class is not in session. I should try asking some of the other parents for more information, thanks.

He sounds like he is really trying to find the best fit for her. Only thing I would watch for is if she gets tired during the classes. You may want to see if she can take a longer break in between the two classes (maybe skip warm-up for 2nd class) and have a snack/drink etc. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my 4yo's stamina up. She has trouble making it to the end of the hour long class. Part of that is because she goes a million miles a min. and wears herself out. There's only two others in her class which means she spends a lot more time on each rotations than the kids in regular classes!

Guest IdahoMtnMom

When I was 2, my parents put me on ice skates.... it was discovered I was darned good for my age.... by age 4, I was skating 5 days a week.... and I wanted to. by age 9, I was skating 6 days a week... before and after school 3 od those days... and I was resenting it a bit... by high school, all I did was skate... and I HATED HATED HATED IT. I was burned out. I had wanted to do other things for years. I went far in the sport and I wish I never had... I wish I hadn't been pushed so young.

So based on all that, I would never let kids that age do an orgnanized sport more than 1 hour 2x per week. EVER.

No, we tried the class with kids her age, and afterwards he walked over to me and said that he really didn't know where to put her, but that was definitely not right for her. Then he asked if we could stay for the class starting then (at 4:30). She had a great time, and was obviously more focused and excited in this class. Afterwards, I asked when to bring her back, and he said on Tuesday. I asked, "At 3:30?" and he said no, then stopped and looked at his clipboard. Then he said, "Well, she could do that one, too," then told me that the more advanced class she had just been with meets on Tuesday, too. Later I looked up what that class was, that meets 2x per week for an hour, and it was the "Advanced" class, one step below pre-competition. So he has invited her to come for two consecutive hours on Tuesday, to a slightly more advanced class for 3 to 5 (mostly 5s) followed by the advanced class.

It's a little unclear what you are saying here but I think you might have misunderstood the coach. It seems to me he is inviting your DD to the 3.30 class (was that the one that was age appropriate for your DD ?) and the 4.30 class with the 3-5 year olds. I don't think he meant the even more advanced class after that (the one that meets twice a week).

The fact that the later class is at 4.30 would be an automatic no for me but it depends how comfortable you are having a 2 yo in a late class. Most classes here for little kids are in the morning. My own 2yo has just awoken from his nap at that time and we are winding down for the day. I actually just took my DD(5) out of her dance class because for the next term they had all her age group classes starting at 5.00 pm and we wouldn't get home till 6.30 which is just a no for me with 3 kids under 5. My DD is just too tired after a full day to preform well at such a late class -it just wouldn't be fun anymore which is why we were doing it in the first place.

Maybe you should phone the coach and ask exactly which classes he is suggesting to you for her.

It's a little unclear what you are saying here but I think you might have misunderstood the coach. It seems to me he is inviting your DD to the 3.30 class (was that the one that was age appropriate for your DD ?) and the 4.30 class with the 3-5 year olds. I don't think he meant the even more advanced class after that (the one that meets twice a week).

The fact that the later class is at 4.30 would be an automatic no for me but it depends how comfortable you are having a 2 yo in a late class. Most classes here for little kids are in the morning. My own 2yo has just awoken from his nap at that time and we are winding down for the day. I actually just took my DD(5) out of her dance class because for the next term they had all her age group classes starting at 5.00 pm and we wouldn't get home till 6.30 which is just a no for me with 3 kids under 5. My DD is just too tired after a full day to preform well at such a late class -it just wouldn't be fun anymore which is why we were doing it in the first place.

Maybe you should phone the coach and ask exactly which classes he is suggesting to you for her.

The one she went to yesterday at 3:30 was the age appropriate one, and the one she went to at 4:30 was the advanced one. He invited her to come on Tuesday to the 3 to 5 class at 3:30 and the advanced one again at 4:30 (no age range listed, but kids look about 4 to 7/8 to me). I guess I could have misunderstood, but I don't think so. I'll find out on Tuesday.

I would love it if they offered classes in the morning, but there are very few stay-at-home moms in this little town, and so they only offer classes in the afternoon and evening. That is the hardest part, is getting the girls up a little early from their naps to go.