Menu

(not a poll) Would you eat this? (I don't mean the poll)

Would you eat unopened jars of pickles* dated July 2009 you'd just discovered at the back of your pantry, that you vaguely remember your neighbor canning and very nicely sharing with you?

(And this neighbor will never know, either way. Our country grapevine is good, but not that good.)

* one dill, one sweet--not that it matters; I'm just impressed by people who know how to do that kind of magic with vegetables.

If it passed the looks/smell test? Then, I probably would. Pickling and canning are both preservation methods. If it was done correctly, then they can be safely eaten for a long time. Quality goes down over time, pickles will be softer, etc, but the safety is pretty much the same as when you can them.

If it passed the looks/smell test? Then, I probably would. Pickling and canning are both preservation methods. If it was done correctly, then they can be safely eaten for a long time. Quality goes down over time, pickles will be softer, etc, but the safety is pretty much the same as when you can them.

:iagree: If you are worried, go to the store, find a brand new jar of pickles, and then look at the expiration date. I bet it's more than 2 years!:lol:

Yeah, I'm with 2cents. The fact that it's home canned *and so past the expiration date, there's no WAY I'd eat it.

I believe 2009 isn't the expiration date; it's the year it was canned...and probably late in the season at that.

Most home canners don't put an "expiration date" on their food. That said, it should be good years from now.

Yeah, I'm with 2cents. The fact that it's home canned *and so past the expiration date, there's no WAY I'd eat it.

I believe 2009 isn't the expiration date; it's the year it was canned...and probably late in the season at that.

Most home canners don't put an "expiration date" on their food. That said, it should be good years from now.

:iagree: When you can something at home, you write the date you canned it on the jar, not an expiration date.

You beat me! I must type slow.

:iagree: When you can something at home, you write the date you canned it on the jar, not an expiration date.

:blush: Yeah, I read too fast. I realize you'd put a 'date canned' not an 'expiration date' on something you canned at home.

In that case, I'd eat them. :D

Thanks, everybody!

Normally I'm an I'll-eat-it kinda girl (cf the black bean fuzz some time back), so after your helpful comments I gave it a go.

But... it's a no-go. Taste is fine, I think, at least so far as I could tell before I gagged and spit it in the trash. The pickles are MUSH.

So this brings me to my final question on this topic: can anyone give me a recipe for dill picklish mush?

--oh, and btw, I listened very hard for a "pop," but it was sort of hard to hear much over my grunts while trying to pry the doggone lid off. I'm still not sure whether it did.

It's really (REALLY) hard to get nice, crispy pickles when you can them yourself.

Some say adding a grape leaf to each jar keeps their texture nice and firm.

Mine are always much softer than commercial pickles...but I'm used to it.

Glad you tried them at any rate!

p.s. Did you try both types? Different types of pickles are made separately so maybe the others are firmer...

If you don't have a lid lifter (most folks don't), a butter knife will pry the lid off - just hold the non-sharp side of the blade along the edge of the lid, then pull down on the knife handle, wedging the blade between the top thread of the jar and the edge of the metal lid - it'll pop right off.

Edited by bbkaren