Menu

Do you ever take an unplanned day off?

We took last Wednesday off, simply because DH ended up with a day off work and was going to take the baby away for the day. When he said where he was going, I decided that the kids and I could go too. So we did. It was a fabulous family day and everyone had a lot of fun.

When the kids are older, I doubt we will do that. We have made up the work we would otherwise have done.

DD17 took today off from her regular school work (well she went to her 2 music classes, but she doesn't count those as work :D ). She had PT this morning (knee surgery recovery), a critical college application essay to finish, and had finally earned enough to go buy the saxophone of her dreams and REALLY couldn't wait to go down and pick it up.

She will catch up easily by the weekend (assuming she ever puts down the new saxophone!), but sometimes priorities get shifted for a day.

I know we did last year. It's essential for mental health and breaking up the routine, right? But this is my first year doing high school so it remains to be seen if I will have one of these days off.

However, we did take a 2 day field trip to Jamestown/Colonial Williamsburg 2 weeks ago. Technically that is two days off but my high schooler took some work and did some reading at the hotel at night. My pre-printed lesson plans don't have days off scheduled in, but Friday's are scheduled lightly.

If need be for field trips, I guess my high schooler could always use Saturday or Sunday as a make-up day.

The field trips are usually for the youngers but I don't want to leave my oldest daughter out so she comes along for the ride even though the trip doesn't tie into her studies.

Rats—I was hoping you'd talk me into it. :D I agree with the consensus: in the early years we did take a day off now and then, but now that they're in high school, I think it would be more difficult to catch up, especially since we have a weekly printed schedule. I was just wondering what others thought about it.

Well, thanks for the replies! Guess I'll wait 'til the weekend to pop in my John Wayne DVD from Netflix. :p (We only have one TV and it's in the main living area). Anyway, the sun is supposed to come out tomorrow, and it wouldn't be the same...

Nope. In fact we are having to work on Saturdays and Sundays many weekends to get it all done. We are doing a family camping trip in November...just Friday through MOnday. But we are bringing the computers so both boys can do Spanish and AP Government and my then AP Chem for oldest and Biology for the younger boy. Honestly, it is taking Saturdays and Sundays to get in all of the reading. I"ll give them a break in math and English as they are fine and caught up there. But the above classes are eating our lunch.

Christine

Rats—I was hoping you'd talk me into it. :D I agree with the consensus: in the early years we did take a day off now and then, but now that they're in high school, I think it would be more difficult to catch up, especially since we have a weekly printed schedule. I was just wondering what others thought about it.

Well, thanks for the replies! Guess I'll wait 'til the weekend to pop in my John Wayne DVD from Netflix. :p (We only have one TV and it's in the main living area). Anyway, the sun is supposed to come out tomorrow, and it wouldn't be the same...

Me too! (well except John Wayne).

Ah...so there are a couple of you high school people who do the day-off thing. It was looking like it was only those with elementary-aged kids. I'm definitely finding it harder to be flexible with the schedule since we've started high school (several years ago :001_smile:) We do sometimes plan light on Friday and use it as a catch-up day.

Justamouse, I hope you're feeling better now!

Yes! I've planned on the basis of 3 long days. If we have an extra day at home we use it to get ahead so that, if an opportunity for something worth doing comes up, we can do it. It started this way because some of our activities are monthly, some fortnightly, and it was driving me crazy trying to have weekly plans for all the different permutations.