Menu

Would you donate one of your kidneys to your sibling?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If one of your siblings needed a kidney--and you were the only match--would you give your kidney to your sibling?

Yes, I would and I tried. I was not a match. She had 4 different cadaver transplants and only one took. Then the stupid doctors said oops, they had to remove the working kidney because the donor had cancer. She died in her early 20's.

Really? Is there a health issue for the donator? I'm considering donating to my cousin.

Sandy

Well, I was told at the time of donation that there would not really be any lasting effects medically for me.

However.

I got a kidney stone for the first time a few months ago. I had to have surgery to place (and then later to remove) a stent that opened the passage from my kidney to my bladder, because the stone was stuck there. If I had both kidneys, that would not have been necessary; I would have just wait for the stone to pass. But because I only had the one kidney, I could not risk damaging it (with the toxins that were building up from not being able to pass urine out of my kidney).

All that to say, having only one kidney did cause me significant extra pain and money in that situation.

However, that situation is not what would have changed my decision.

My sister (to make a long story short), killed the kidney I gave her, and no longer speaks to me (for non-kidney-related reasons.) For these reasons, I would not have donated.

My mom had kidney failure almost two years ago, and was on dialysis for 4-5 hrs, 3 days a week, while working full time. My uncle (her brother) was found to be a match and donated his kidney. That was a nerve-racking day for my family, having two loved ones in surgery in one day.

When my mom and now step-dad married in July, my step-dad made my uncle a groomsman and took a moment in the ceremony to thank him and honor his gift.

There have since been a lot of "your kidney is making me pee a lot" jokes :tongue_smilie:

I don't have any siblings, but it occurred to me after my uncle was a match that I could've been tested. Surgery absolutely frightens me, so I honestly don't know if I could do it. But I am deeply grateful that my uncle did.

That is really touching.