Menu

hemming a bridesmaid dress...DIY?

I have totally slacked on getting my bridesmaid dress hemmed. It fits fine other than the hem. At this point I know most places will give me crap about waiting so long...the wedding is on the 29th. And I don't want to pay a fortune. Can I do it myself? I'm not great at sewing, but it is just a straight line, right? Or can I use that fuseable stuff you iron on? Stitch Witchery I think it used to be called.

Or am I getting in over my head and need to leave it to the experts?

Hemming is usually a quick turn around.

My girls had to have their flower girl dresses darted and the zipper moved because the bodice area swamped them both. Which, I assume meant they separated the skirt from the bodice, did the work and re-attached? They were frou-frou mini-wedding dress style dresses. It was a 2 week minimum, without paying rush.

I can sew, but bridesmaid dress material is often slippery or prone to running and the repercussions are too high for me to risk it.

It's not prom, Christmas party, or prime wedding season so I think you have a good chance of finding someone to do it.

It is this dress....http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Strapless-Ballgown-with-Sweetheart-Neckline-84066_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses

I guess I just don't want to bother going in and dealing with the toddler while someone marks the hem, etc.

It is this dress....http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Strapless-Ballgown-with-Sweetheart-Neckline-84066_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses

I guess I just don't want to bother going in and dealing with the toddler while someone marks the hem, etc.

Gorgeous dress! Wow, the bride is brave. Some of you bridesmaids may outshine her ;)

Glad to see you are getting it hemmed properly. The lines are so clean that it would be too easy to spoil the drape.

I sew and wouldn't want to deal with that. I'd pay someone whatever they want to take care of it.

DON'T use the Stitch Witchery stuff! You'll see the iron marks and you'll risk puckering that will be ironed (cemented) in with the Stitch Witchery. You can't undo that stuff on that kind of material. The iron can also damage the material.

I have done bridal alterations for decades and that would be a simple hem.

There is a quick trick to it that does not involve stitch witchery, or glue.

You press and sew first and cut it off afterwards.

It produces a nice hem every time.

However, if you don't sew a lot, yes, take it to a professional.

If anyone else wants some instructions on how to hem those kind of dresses, I will pass that info along.

I took a dress almost identical to that in to be hemmed. The turn around was only a few days but it ended up still being too long and I had to rehem it at the last minute all by myself. Due to my chronic pain issues and having to sit in a set position (on my bed with the dress spread out in front of me) it took me about 4 hours to do it and at lest a week to recover. The cost here was $65 but would have been so worth it if I didn't have to re-do it. If you sew and have no problems preventing you from doing it then I would do it yourself. If not, then take it in if you can. Just make sure they try it on again and make sure the hem it right with the shoes they will be wearing.

Gorgeous dress! Wow, the bride is brave. Some of you bridesmaids may outshine her ;)

Glad to see you are getting it hemmed properly. The lines are so clean that it would be too easy to spoil the drape.

Thank you. Unfortunately I am very short, and fairly wide, and the sleevless/flat neckline look accentuates that. It is not flattering on me at all. I do much better with halter style necklines, or wide straps, to create a bit of length in my almost nonexistant torso. Oh well. Not my wedding, so I don't have to shine. The sad thing is I am at my highest weight ever, and the last time I was near this weight I wore the SAME dress, in purple, in my sister's wedding. It is as if someone says hey, you've put on 40lbs, want to wear a dress that will make it look like 60lbs?

But either way, the day is about her, and I'm happy she wanted to include me.

I have done bridal alterations for decades and that would be a simple hem.

There is a quick trick to it that does not involve stitch witchery, or glue.

You press and sew first and cut it off afterwards.

It produces a nice hem every time.

However, if you don't sew a lot, yes, take it to a professional.

If anyone else wants some instructions on how to hem those kind of dresses, I will pass that info along.

Yes please post!

You'd have to try it on even if you did it yourself, so might as well get it done professionally. As a PP said, be sure to wear the same shoes as you'll wear in the wedding. I'd wear the same bra too, just to be sure, as they can change the way things hang.

No way no how would I use stitch witchery on this dress.

Sometimes the quickest cheapest best way to get something done is to pay someone else to do it.

Ok, here goes.

Yes, you have to have someone pin/mark the hem. Often the original hem is not straight all the way around so you can't necessarily just turn it up say 3 inches all the way around. If you stand on a coffee table or stool then your marking person can use a yardstick to measure up from the floor. You should have on whatever undergarments you instead to wear and the shoes! Don't pin that hem until you have the right shoes! Undergarments can make a huge difference as well.

Your hem should be at least one inch off the ground so you won't trip on the dress when you walk. A little shorter than that is ok too, but not usually longer.

Straight pins work fine, but if you use pins that close, they won't fall out when you move the dress.

The hem itself is simple. fold and press the hem about 1/2 inch BELOW where you ultimately want the hem to be. Using a basting stitch, stitch all the way around the dress at this fold. You can now cut off the excess fabric. After cutting off the excess then fold the basted hem up one more time and then stitch with a smaller stitch length being sure to use matching thread so it won't show. It is so easy once you know the method.

We calledl it hem, cut and a roll.