Menu

Do I bring a gift? and if so, what?

My neighbor is having a party to celebrate the end of her chemo. Should I bring something? If so, what kind of thing to you bring?

I brought her flowers after each of her chemo. treatments. She makes jelly for us each fall when the neighborhood crab apples are ripe.. She's a newly retired teacher with a couple of dogs and her grandkids are in another state. In case that information helps you to decide about the etiquette.

My neighbor is having a party to celebrate the end of her chemo. Should I bring something? If so, what kind of thing to you bring?

I brought her flowers after each of her chemo. treatments. She makes jelly for us each fall when the neighborhood crab apples are ripe.. She's a newly retired teacher with a couple of dogs and her grandkids are in another state. In case that information helps you to decide about the etiquette.

I would take her something. Maybe your girls can bake something? Maybe they could paint a plate at one of the paint-your-own-pottery places and make a treat to go on it?

A close friend threw a Chemo's Done party earlier this year--it was a luau and fabulous. Life exploding everywhere.

People brought fun gifts along the lines of what was said here. Anything that's forward-looking. Spa, trip or hobby stuff, anything related maybe to something she loves to do but hasn't been able to (if the chemo made her sick).

For me with my friend, I didn't bring baked goods or casseroles because those are the sorts of things people bring when you're sick. (Unless, of course, baked goods and casseroles are her favorite things!) I'd do a gift card for her favorite restaurant. Or maybe movie & popcorn tickets. Maybe a potted plant (maybe an orchid!) instead of cut flowers, to symbolize life and growth.

I don't think you can go wrong. Just showing up to celebrate HER is the best part of all.

I'd just bring a bottle of wine (or hard liquor, if you know if/what she drinks), just as if I was attending an adult's birthday party. I am sure she just wants to have a nice time and celebrate the milestone, and she won't expect gifts. If you are moved to bring something, do so, but don't feel obligated at all.

If you want to bring a gift, do so but I wouldn't feel obligated.

However, be aware that chemo patients often get tons of freebie body lotions, make-up,etc. and she may already have more of that type of stuff than she needs. I would also be hesitant to give sweet/baked food items because she will still need to be very conscious about health decisions. Any hormone driven cancer (such as breast cancer) will be aided and abetted by weight gain. She may still need to be focused on her health and though may want to splurge here and there,, receiving a lot of baked goods may be counter-productive and get her started on a track that she really doesn't want to go down.

I would go for something fun that maybe she hasn't had the energy to do--like a gift card to a restaurant, movie tickets, maybe a fun pair of earrings, fall flowers for her garden, a bird feeder, the latest book---something that speaks of "life".