Menu

Need Christmas gift ideas for 11yo girl and 7yo boy...

I'm at a loss. Especially for dd. She's very girly. Loves fashion and make-up (only gets to wear it at home but would wear it every day if she could) and jewelry. Loves to read, fantasy mostly, and has read all the major series. Her favs are Nicholas Flamel and Gregor, but also the Riordan books. She has an iTouch and loves it. Loves music. I am toying with the idea of her big gift being a vanity table with mirror and stool. But I need some more smaller ideas. Any thoughts?

DS is Lego/Star Wars/Cowboy nut. He's probably easier because he still loves toys. He got his first Snap Circuits set and LOVES it. Anything Lego will do.

We're not a big gaming family and have no Wii or other household game system. Maybe a Wii as the big gift for them both? I think they'd both be thrilled, I just wonder if we will regret it.

Any really great and/or original ideas out there?

My 7yo likes:

Building toys (Knex, Snap Circuits, Lego, Zoob, you name it. I'd rather not start any new ones though!)

Books and his Nook (he bought it using GCs he had along with his own money. It has been great for us)

Nerf gun (is requesting a new one for Christmas but I'm not really into buying yet another one)

Playmobil with my DD (4.5)

Science kits (Thames and Kosmos type stuff)

His bike-we just upgraded his to the next size via Craigslist, but had considered making this his Christmas present

He'd love a Wii but I'm not ready for it yet, particularly because DD (4.5) would want to be on it all of the time too. I feel like we have enough screens already for now. If my DS was my youngest I'd be more open to the Wii right now for him.

Ideas for your dd:

Going out w/ her & both getting a manicure

Tickets to a concert, maybe a 'girls night out' where you & she go to dinner & then out the concert (or symphony or show or...)

Fashion Design Studio Kit

Klutz also has some various fashion/design related books

For your ds:

Lego Action Contraptions (Klutz book)

Star Wars Lego sets

Think Geek always has lots of various Star Wars stuff

Maybe a Wii as the big gift for them both? I think they'd both be thrilled, I just wonder if we will regret it.

We have had a Wii for a couple of years now and I love it for the kids. I would never have purchased it but my parents gave us one and I was surprised by how much I like it. They get 2 hours on Sat & Sun and it's off for the rest of the week. They mostly have active games. The Active Life series is fantastic.

DS8 really wants the Snap Circuits upgrade kit and Rover this year. That and Legos, Legos, Legos. DH promised him that if he saved up half the money for the Death Star, he would pay the other half. DS is almost there.

For your DD, does her love for fashion include sewing? I think she is the perfect age for a really great introduction to sewing book, sewing basket with notions, and a gift card to pick her own fabric. A sewing machine would be great also, but would be a big gift.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

11yo:

Giftcard for a mani./pedi. with mom

If she is artsy, high quality sketch pad to draw fashions (or, a book to teach if she isn't artsy but enjoys drawing)

Subscription to a (child/tween) friendly magazine of her choice

iTunes gift card

Jewelry/accessories tree/holder/organizer (vanity-sized or floor-sized. There are also ones that are put on the wall)

Gift card to a favorite store

Consultation with a professional makeup artist to teach how to put on subtle makeup that maximizes features (I just threw this out there for when you feel your daughter will be ready to wear makeup outside the house, not necessarily this Christmas)

Pandora or Pandora-like bracelet