Menu

BIG Winter Promise mistake :-(

Guest IdahoMtnMom

Guest IdahoMtnMom

My kids are 3 and 4 and I basically ignored everyone's advice and bought a boxed curriculum... Winter Promise I'm Ready to Learn. It just isn't going to work. It is filled with USELESS crafts and the math and LA is a joke for my 4 year old... it was stuff he was doing at 2. The 3 year old could muddle through it at a quickened pace but she doesn't like it. So much of the base is stuff we already know... I didn't realize it in time to return it for $ so I am stuck...

Since my $ was spent (and I don't feel right about reselling since the policy is not to resell the guide), I am piecing some stuff together and hoping to start SL P4/5 in January. Here is what I am doing right now...

Both kids

2 French vocab words a week

Narration (on Nursery Rhymes)

Nature Study

Arts and Crafts (only 1x a week)

Cooking (only 1x a week)

Character/Habits (1 habit a month, daily)

Bible

Read Alouds

4 year old

Memory verse a week

Starfall

Various Math Workbooks for LA

Handwriting

3 year old

Lower Case Letters using Flash Cards

One to One Correspondance (counting!)

Fine Motor Skills Worksheets (pre-writing)

How does all this sound? Other than memory work, starfall, and the math workbooks we are doing nothing too formal... maybe 1 hour a day 4 days a week at the most.

I feel like such a failure getting a bad curriculum my first time out... but I am trying to make it all work!

If its any consolation it took my 8yrs to find the right curriculum for my family. So really, don't be so hard on yourself. That's why homeschooling is called a journey. Sometimes you get the right stuff and sometimes you don't. Its just a part of the learning process and learning how your children learn best.

If its any consolation it took my 8yrs to find the right curriculum for my family. So really, don't be so hard on yourself. That's why homeschooling is called a journey. Sometimes you get the right stuff and sometimes you don't. Its just a part of the learning process and learning how your children learn best.

:iagree: and :grouphug: to the OP.

Maybe some of the books will be salvageable for you for use or resale? I'm assuming you got more than just the Instructor Guides, and if that's the case, you can sell the other components/books that are not things they publish--anyone can resell those. Merry :-)

Did you look at the samples? I don't think it's really a Winter Promise issue as much as it's just a wrong choice issue. It took us several trys as well to get what really works.

On another note, all in ones are great, but as for math and perhaps LA, subjects like those you really need to scope the particular math or La program and see if it needs to be bumped or lowered.

Did you look at the samples? I don't think it's really a Winter Promise issue as much as it's just a wrong choice issue. It took us several trys as well to get what really works.

:iagree: I think it's more of an issue of it not being a good fit than an issue with the program. It happens to everyone. Don't feel bad about that. How long have you had it? Have you contacted them about their return policy? I know they have one. You probably won't get all your money back, but if the books are still in condition and resalable (that looks like it's spelled wrong, but apparently it's not), they might refund a chunk of your money. If not, you can always sell the components without the guide. They sell just the guide, so if someone wanted to use it, they could buy that separately and get the books from you at a discounted rate.

BTW, we've switched currics more than once during our hs journey. I've already dropped/changed 3 things THIS year and we're in our 7th week of school. I research and research, but sometimes things just don't work, no matter how good they look.

I feel like such a failure getting a bad curriculum my first time out... but I am trying to make it all work!

We did the same thing for our intro to HS ... :grouphug:

I too salvaged what I could and just used whatever learning tools I could pull together along with books , lots of lovely books from the library.

Once I got my head around the "bad choice" moment we ended up having a pretty fun year - really hoping yours pans out that way to.

(Oh. and I went on to resell the unuseable, for me, surplus to someone/s who really wanted it).

I would just try to resell it. Sorry that happened!

I've started using less and less curriculum this year. It's working out great...much cheaper...I can tailor everything to the student...no more tweaking... For your kids' ages, check out some of the unschooling blogs and websites. There are great ideas on those, as well as encouragement for discovery learning and exploration.

My kids are 3 and 4 and I basically ignored everyone's advice and bought a boxed curriculum... Winter Promise I'm Ready to Learn. It just isn't going to work. It is filled with USELESS crafts and the math and LA is a joke for my 4 year old... it was stuff he was doing at 2. The 3 year old could muddle through it at a quickened pace but she doesn't like it. So much of the base is stuff we already know... I didn't realize it in time to return it for $ so I am stuck...

:grouphug: I did the exact same thing with the same program two years ago. For what it's worth, I thought I did my research as well. The samples, IMHO, don't necessarily reflect the flow of the program. I agree about the crafts, too.

Anyway, it happens to most of us with one curricula or another, or several curricula, if you are me; so don't feel bad. Just a heads up, Sonlight's LA is very similar, so I would look around for something else for LA if you do go with P4/5 (which we loved as a PreK program). :)

I used the program years ago, and I had the same problem with the math portion. It was way behind where DD was. SL P4/5 isn't as restricting, as you can add LA and math at your child's level, but the books can be easily found at the library and just read in any order you wish. There isn't a particularly helpful order in the IG. I use the IG because it keeps me on track not because it ties everything beautifully.

Also, a literature-based curriculum isn't going to flow as nicely as, say, SOTW, which is written in one text. Since lit based programs use several really good books and put them together, there may be flow issues for some people, but most of the time it all evens out in the end.

Your new plan looks good!

:grouphug: I'm sorry you're feeling like you made a bad choice. I'm sorry it didn't live up to the expectations you had, and that it's too late to get your money back.

While you feel it's not right to resell it, have you considered selling the books that came with it and then including the IG with it if someone chose to buy ALL the books? It might be an option to recoup some of the money.

I have to agree with the pp, I don't think I would have purchased any curriculum at that age. Maybe a few books to read for fun or a preschool craft book.. But then, I'm in the better late then early crowd. ;)

We've been doing this for 4 years and this is the first time I feel like we finally have got it right. After chucking a writing, spelling, and latin program earlier in our school year. But hey we are good now!

As for not selling.... well I have issues with companies that make unreasonable requirements... could you maybe trade it?

I wouldn't waste money on any program for 3 and 4 year olds. But then again, I didn't do any preschool or K with my dd9, and she's doing great. I also wouldn't do math workbooks or handwriting with a 4 year old, but that's just me. I know the temptation is great to be doing "something" when the kids are young, but I think that you will find most "experienced" (however you define that; I am using it to mean moms whose kids are somewhat into elementary grades or older) will tell you that it's best to just let the kids play, play, play at those ages. Although I don't really see anything wrong with some vocab words and memory verses. But then again, my kids memorized tons of stuff when they were little without me actually working on it with them. I'd just stay away from those worksheets!

Oh, and btw, if you feel you MUST have a curriculum guide, I'd suggest BFIAR or FIAR. A friend gave me those when the kids were little, and they enjoyed the (very few) activities we did from them. Good suff in there, I just wasn't interested in something formal and organized at that point.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

I wouldn't waste money on any program for 3 and 4 year olds. But then again, I know the temptation is great to be doing "something" when the kids are young, but I think that you will find most "experienced" (however you define that; I am using it to mean moms whose kids are somewhat into elementary grades or older) will tell you that it's best to just let the kids play, play, play at those ages. I'd just stay away from those worksheets!

Oh, and btw, if you feel you MUST have a curriculum guide, I'd suggest BFIAR or FIAR. A friend gave me those when the kids were little, and they enjoyed the (very few) activities we did from them. Good suff in there, I just wasn't interested in something formal and organized at that point.

Tara

:iagree:

Also, in regards to your feeling guilty about reselling, keep in mind that it has been pretty well established in discussions about WP's resale policy that they can not legally implement a no-resale policy. Of course they can ask you not to, but it is not the same as companies who sell digital copies saying they can not be resold. It is equivalent to Toyota telling you that you can't resell your car so that everyone who wants a Toyota will buy new... they can ask, but they can't make you comply - nor is it illegal to refuse to comply. It is completely up to you if you want to comply to their request but if you are resisting reselling because you feel it would be dishonest, it isn't.

Heather