Menu

Cat owners....a question!

Well, we gave in to the kids and adopted two cats from the shelter yesterday. They are 6 months and 3 years old. We picked these two as they were on the urgent list and didn't have much time left:(. So, the kids love them but we have discovered that all three are VERY allergic. I'm not sure what to do. If I take them back they will likely end up being put down. We could keep them and make a nice setup in the garage. Then the kids could go out and play with them, come in and wash their hands, and not have the dander in the house. I guess we could let them outside too, but I know it can be dangerous. But, it would be more detrimental to them if I take them back. WWYD?

I would try and find a no-kill shelter in my area unless you signed an agreement that you had to return them to the shelter where you got them.

Living in a garage with little contact isn't much of a life and it's not likely to encourage them to bond to you. Their fur and dander would still get on their clothes.

I'm so sorry it didn't work out for your kids.

I wouldn't keep them in the garage long-term.

If the allergy symptoms aren't too terribly severe for you kids, you could try keeping the cats inside for a month or so and see what happens. Dh was violently allergic to cats when we moved in together, but I refused to give up my two because I'd had them both since they were kittens. With time and constant exposure, his allergies actually disappeared. Now he can have a cat lying on his chest and have no problems whatsoever. The only time he has an issue is if he gets a cat hair in his eye, in which case it swells up and itches like crazy.

We have two cats. My husband was also allergic to them. Lol. When we got our first, my daughter's eyes swelled shut, so apparently it was genetic. We bought some Allerpet, made sure he was washed and he wasn't ever on her bed or what-have-you and then waited a week. Apparently her body (and my husband's) dealt with it because we just got cat2 and there hasn't been any allergy issues.

Now, sever allergies won't go away probably, so I'd assess and decide from there. I'm of the school of thought that a little exposure to an allergen now and then is good for ya...or why would they do allergy shots?

There's some truth to the idea that exposure *might* may the allergies go away. That's how I got rid of mine when I was a kid. We were in a duplex with FOUR cats living next door who were constantly getting into our side and just around all the time. But, oh, it was a completely MISERABLE six months. I was 11 and I still remember it. Ugh.

So I don't necessarily wish that on anyone. Plus, it may not work. Just sayin. I would find those cats a new home.

I wouldn't keep them in the garage long-term.

If the allergy symptoms aren't too terribly severe for you kids, you could try keeping the cats inside for a month or so and see what happens. Dh was violently allergic to cats when we moved in together, but I refused to give up my two because I'd had them both since they were kittens. With time and constant exposure, his allergies actually disappeared. Now he can have a cat lying on his chest and have no problems whatsoever. The only time he has an issue is if he gets a cat hair in his eye, in which case it swells up and itches like crazy.

We have two cats. My husband was also allergic to them. Lol. When we got our first, my daughter's eyes swelled shut, so apparently it was genetic. We bought some Allerpet, made sure he was washed and he wasn't ever on her bed or what-have-you and then waited a week. Apparently her body (and my husband's) dealt with it because we just got cat2 and there hasn't been any allergy issues.

Now, sever allergies won't go away probably, so I'd assess and decide from there. I'm of the school of thought that a little exposure to an allergen now and then is good for ya...or why would they do allergy shots?

whenever we get a new cat (we have 8 now) I am allergic for about a month and then I am fine with them. If I go to another house with cats, I am allergic to them but not at my own house.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I had 6 cats (that's what happens when you work in a cat exclusive veterinary practice :D) when I met my husband. He was very allergic at first, but with exposure, his allergy symptoms disappeared in about a month. We still have 6 cats and each time a new cat has been brought in, it takes him a month to get used to it.

We've found he's FAR more allergic to guinea pigs (and some dogs) than cats. He can't be anywhere near my daughter's guinea pig and that has never improved.

...this sounds like a 'life lesson' for your kids! I'd find those kitties homes and make it a family project! You'll just be miserable with cats in your garage over time and the kids' allergies will continue to plague you! We had a wonderful puppy once that the family was just not ready for! The kids didn't let me train the dog properly and it was having the run of house. After 2 months we found another home for her...a farm and with one of her sisters...turned out perfectly for our dog. We were all sad, but it was a 'life lesson'. We were not ready yet...lesson learned! (now we do have a dog and she is trained properly!) :)

I have 6 cats and all of them were adopted from a shelter. I also volunteer for my local shelter and often call around to donate "spay/neuter fees" to help get animals adopted. I know how most of this works.

I would NOT put a 6 month old kitten outside unless it is used to being outside, has a "mentor" (an already established outdoor kitty friend), and has absolutely every shot it needs including FeLv. Even then, you need some land for it to roam and no busy roads.

If you keep them in the garage, it needs to be short term while you find them a home. Call around to local rescues and non-kill humane society shelters. If you have FB, post some pics on there and ask if anyone wants them.

If you really wish you could keep them...how allergic are we talking? If it is some sneezing or something, I would give the kids some OTC allergy meds (zyrtec, benadryl) and wait a few days to make sure they aren't just getting a cold or something. If your kids are broken out in massive hives can't breathe, then I would probably call the shelter and tell them the situation is DIRE.

You may also take them back to the kill shelter but ask them, since the cats are already spayed/neutered now, if they know of a way to keep them from being put down. Offer to pay for anything you can that will help. Shelters often euthanize due to space and limited funds. I have a cat right now that I am "sponsoring" - I paid for her spay yesterday and they have orders that if they even so much as think of putting her down, CALL ME. I will come get her!

Good luck!

Our girls outgrew their allergies but they were only contact allergies and didn't involve their lungs (consulted an allergist). Dh was allergic too. We never would have had a cat except a good friend had a stray that we said we would try to keep. We fully expected to have to give her up but several years later-and a few more furbabies everyone is allergy free. I wonder if it is some kind of exposure immunity?

Wiping kitty down with a damp cloth of distilled water helps a lot too. The distilled water supposedly neutralizes the protein that causes the allergy. They get it on their fur from their saliva when they clean themselves. That is why regular wiping down helps so much. We used the Allerpet too with great success. Hope something works for you. Always wash hands after petting and avoid letting kitty lick hands. Keep them out of bedrooms too and off furniture that the kids sit on too.

Hope this helps!