Menu

Tastes like butter?? About 2-3 weeks ago? someone mentioned a brand of margarine

I don't know if this is the one you mean, but Earth Balance is really quite good. I was a margarine snob (or would that be a butter snob?) until I tried it.

No, it was one of the regular grocery store brands, I'm pretty sure. Maybe "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"? Or something similar?

Is there a reason why you don't just buy butter? Margarine is not good for you.

If you have to avoid dairy for some reason, it's nice to have a substitute.

Earth Balance tastes good, though not exactly like butter. And it has no trans fats or hydrogenated oils. If I couldn't eat butter, that's what I'd get.

Earth balance. Their shortening sticks, in a side by side, do better than Crisco in both pastry and pie crusts. (I was a maniac cook prior to motherhood, and did a lot of side by sides of cooking techniques and ingredients. For instance, if you make a big pot of stew and actively cook it in a sink of ice water and get it in the fridge luke warm and fast, it takes longer to grow mold and get slimey than if you either cool it on the counter or put it away hot. :D)

If you have to avoid dairy for some reason, it's nice to have a substitute.

Earth Balance tastes good, though not exactly like butter. And it has no trans fats or hydrogenated oils. If I couldn't eat butter, that's what I'd get.

Almost all margerines contain dairy. I like the Earth Balance for popcorn (I need *something* to make the salt stick!)

Almost all margerines contain dairy.

If you're avoiding dairy, then I guess you'd have to be sure to pick one of the ones that doesn't, right? Earth Balance has non-dairy products. Maybe I'm missing your point. :confused:

I like the Earth Balance for popcorn (I need *something* to make the salt stick!)
We pop our popcorn in canola oil and then the seasonings stick pretty well. We like to put on nutritional yeast.

If you're avoiding dairy, then I guess you'd have to be sure to pick one of the ones that doesn't, right? Earth Balance has non-dairy products. Maybe I'm missing your point. :confused:

We pop our popcorn in canola oil and then the seasonings stick pretty well. We like to put on nutritional yeast.

I was pointing out to others reading the thread that most margerines have diary in them (most people don't realize that. Earth Balance doesn't and I really like it when I have to have something butter-like.

:iagree:Earth Balance, Smart Balance LIGHT, and Blue Bonnet LIGHT are the only non-dairy options I know of here, and none of them really taste like butter. Whipped Earth Balance is the best of the three.

I don't have dairy issues, but I do want a butter substitute, and someone mentioned here that they loved the taste of ___ because it tastes just like fresh butter. IIRC, this person also mentioned that their family owned dairy cows (???), so they have plenty of real butter, but whatever this stuff is, it tastes like butter.

Well, if you notice my sig line, we're dairy farmers here--we eat butter.

In my capacity as pastry chef I have occasionally needed to prepare vegan desserts, and I used Nucoa margarine. I actually thought it was pretty close, both in taste and texture (I only used the sticks, not the tub). I haven't used it in a while though, and I've heard the formulation has changed for the worse. :glare:

It was really good though, in the past. :001_huh:

I grew up on homemade butter, raw milk, etc. I use Country Crock because it tastes similar to real butter. The stuff they call butter in the grocery stores is just gross. I use it for cooking, but not on bread, etc where I would actually taste it.

Edited by LizzyBee

I grew up on homemade butter, raw milk, etc. I use Country Crock because it tastes similar to real butter. The stuff they call butter in the grocery stores is just gross. I use it for cooking, but not on bread, etc where I would actually taste it.

I was remembering your post in the "10 random facts about you" thread:http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3059595#poststop

Thank you!