Menu

unplayable netflix dvds?

Has anyone noticed an increase in unplayable dvds from netflix? We never had much of a problem before but in the past month have received three unplayable dvds-- they weren't just scratched, but cracked down the middle like they'd been bent in half! Neither the player nor the computers would even recognize them as dvds. And yes, this coincides with their rate hikes! :mad:

We also have been getting dvds that require a lot of cleaning before being played, but they do play ultimately. That too is a new problem for us from netflix.

Unplayable discs seem to come in waves for us...we also check them immediately to see if they are broken. Sometimes they look fine but skip a lot on our DVD player, and we have to watch it on the computer. I'd say maybe 20% of the discs we get have issues. It's annoying--but I guess not so much as to make us quit the service.

Two in the last 2 weeks. Tonight we were watching our very last DVD (since we switched to instant only due to the price increase), ds was gone with the youth group and dh had a night alone. Sure enough, we got 3/4 of the way through the movie and it won't play. I sent dh to Redbox. Very irritating and now it makes me glad we went to instant only. Not worth the hassle.

Edited by BeckyFL

We have learned to always check them when they come in the mail, and if they're cracked we just pop them immediately back in the mail. If you notify them the disc is damaged, they'll send one out before they've even gotten the damaged one back. Also, kids movies are the worst culprits.

This is what we always do (but won't have to now, because we dropped all but streaming.) We have also found that many times, when our DVD player stops on us, we can stick the same disc in the computer and it plays just fine. Not sure what is up with that. Seems the DVD player is way more sensitive than the computer drive.

Has anyone noticed an increase in unplayable dvds from netflix? We never had much of a problem before but in the past month have received three unplayable dvds-- they weren't just scratched, but cracked down the middle like they'd been bent in half! Neither the player nor the computers would even recognize them as dvds. And yes, this coincides with their rate hikes! :mad:

We also have been getting dvds that require a lot of cleaning before being played, but they do play ultimately. That too is a new problem for us from netflix.

The last one I received was burned right through the envelope. Weird. Broken dvds are usually a post office issue aren't they?