Menu

Will you take a look at my birth plan, please?

I'm 36 weeks and 1 day today. :) I'm trying to put together a birth plan. This is for baby #4, but I've never actually sat down and written one. Please take a look and I'm open to any (helpful) suggestions.:)

First of all, I plan on doing most of the laboring at home.

Here's what I got for during labor once I get to hospital:

Do not offer any kind of drugs (epidural, pitocin,etc...)

No IV, but willing to have it prepared

No "helping along" the birthing process (no breaking water, etc...)

Ask me if I want to be checked instead of telling me to be checked.

I want to be able to move around as I feel the need to.

No controlled pushing. I want to push when I feel the need to.

After birth:

Hold baby right away for at least an hour

Daddy will cut umbilical cord

No bath for baby

No Hep B vaccine

Baby will be breastfed ONLY, do not give pacifiers, formula, sugar water, etc...

Baby will be with me at all times

So what do you all think? And if you have suggestions for wording any of this better, please let me know.

Thanks!!

I didn't notice anything about monitoring. If the hospital is big on monitoring and you want to be able to move, it might be helpful to make sure ahead of time that they have mobile monitoring units available. If you're opposed to monitoring, you will want to get that across ahead of time. Good luck!

Have you talked to someone about the hospitals specific policies on some of those things? For instance, where my dc were born, I could have them with me all the time, except for during shift change (2x's a day). This was to ensure that all babies were accounted for and the nurses could make sure they were doing well.

Hi! I'm a birth doula, and I help clients with birth plans all the time. One thing I really recommend is writing out your birth plan on a large note card, with just the most important point written in bullet points. Write one for vaginal birth, one for c-section (because there are options at a lot of hospitals), and one for the baby. Make 2 copies of each. Put the baby birth card on the baby warmer/bed and show it to the baby nurse.

So for instance, the vaginal birth card might look like this:

-No drugs, no Epidural, Pit, (etc)

-No Controlled/directed pushing

- No cervical checks unless asked.

Have an awesome birth!!

People tend to be more receptive to direction when you tell them what they can do, instead of what they can't do and when you explain things rather than make demands; does that make sense?

Here is what I'd do instead, if it were me:

If I need pain medication, please be assured I will say so; you may offer suggestions for position and movement that may help if I appear in pain; and if I ask, then provide suggestions for pain relief medication options.

You may place a hep-lock in case of an emergency; please do not administer any IV fluids and/or antibiotics before we discuss and agree first; unless I or the baby are in distress, I would like to have access to clear fluids orally, ad libitum (side note: if you're colonized with Group B strep, they will want you to have IV antibiotics during labor to avoid transmission to the baby)

If you feel I need to have anything to help the process along, like stripping or rupturing membranes, let's discuss and agree first; I would prefer to avoid the use of labor stimulants like pitocin.

You may check progression on our agreed to time line, which we'll discuss and agree to when I am admitted for labor and delivery

You may monitor when needed, then remove the equipment so that I may move around as needed.

Please let me know when I have reached 10-centimeters so that I may begin pushing as I feel the need to push; I would prefer to avoid controlled pushing if I can.

After birth:

When the baby has emerged, I would like my husband to cut the cord.

Once baby is cleaned off on the OHIO, please allow me to hold her for at least the first hour to initiate breastfeeding.

No bath for baby (why? do you want to do this or...?)

No Hep B vaccine

As I am and my husband is negative for HepB, the baby will not receive the HepB vaccination following birth or before release from the hospital.

Baby will be breastfed ONLY, do not give pacifiers, formula, sugar water, etc...

Breastfeeding is very important for me, so please do not give the baby a pacifier, formula, sugar water or any other fluids orally unless we discuss and agree beforehand.

I would like the baby to room in with me, so please ask before taking to the nursery. If the baby needs to go to the nursery, I or my husband would like to accompany her there and back.

People tend to be more receptive to direction when you tell them what they can do, instead of what they can't do and when you explain things rather than make demands; does that make sense?

If I need pain medication, please be assured I will say so; you may offer suggestions for position and movement that may help if I appear in pain; and if I ask, then provide suggestions for pain relief medication options.

You may place a hep-lock in case of an emergency; please do not administer any IV fluids and/or antibiotics before we discuss and agree first; unless I or the baby are in distress, I would like to have access to clear fluids orally, ad libitum (side note: if you're colonized with Group B strep, they will want you to have IV antibiotics during labor to avoid transmission to the baby)

If you feel I need to have anything to help the process along, like stripping or rupturing membranes, let's discuss and agree first; I would prefer to avoid the use of labor stimulants like pitocin.

You may check progression on our agreed to time line, which we'll discuss and agree to when I am admitted for labor and delivery

You may monitor when needed, then remove the equipment so that I may move around as needed.

Please let me know when I have reached 10-centimeters so that I may begin pushing as I feel the need to push; I would prefer to avoid controlled pushing if I can.

After birth:

Once baby is cleaned off on the OHIO, please allow me to hold her for at least the first hour to initiate breastfeeding.

No Hep B vaccine

As I am and my husband is negative for HepB, the baby will not receive the HepB vaccination following birth or before release from the hospital.

Breastfeeding is very important for me, so please do not give the baby a pacifier, formula, sugar water or any other fluids orally unless we discuss and agree beforehand.

I would like the baby to room in with me, so please ask before taking to the nursery. If the baby needs to go to the nursery, I or my husband would like to accompany her there and back.

Absolutely! Much less abrupt, much more personable. :iagree:

And for what it's worth, I'm a stickler on the "push when I wanna" one. I loved it that way the second time around. Have a great birth.

I second talking to your doctor and hospital. I had a great natural birthing experience but I also knew that some things were a no-go from the beginning. It was hospital policy to require at least a hep lock so that there was easy access for an IV. That was fine with me but I at least knew that in advance. I also think one of the best things was waiting a while to go to the hospital and then I had a great hospital that let me walk the halls for an hour or two with intermittent monitoring until I was ready to be formally checked in.

After birth:

No Hep B vaccine

:iagree:

This sounds so much better. Honestly, L&D/Nurseries get these all the times so it isn't something out of the ordinary.

I do have to ask, no bath for a baby born in a hospital?

From the nursery side, these are all normal occurances except the no bath. We do have parents request that they do the bath.

I didn't notice anything about monitoring. If the hospital is big on monitoring and you want to be able to move, it might be helpful to make sure ahead of time that they have mobile monitoring units available. If you're opposed to monitoring, you will want to get that across ahead of time. Good luck!

Good point! I forgot to add this one.

You have brought up a topic near and dear to my heart. First, congratulations on your soon to be new addition. My cliff notes response to you is: The ease of your requests being met are going to be related to the care provider you have already chosen and the nurse who attends your birth. Hopefully your care provider supports your wishes. If the nurse you have doesn't suit you, you can ask for another. Remember, everyone in this setting is essentaily employed by you. You ultimately call all the shots. If you do not want your baby removed from the room, you can say no regardless of hospital policy. Be prepared to fight though. It is good you have a clear idea of what you want. Hopefully you have a provider that you trust and remember the buck stops with you!

This sounds so much better. Honestly, L&D/Nurseries get these all the times so it isn't something out of the ordinary.

From the nursery side, these are all normal occurances except the no bath. We do have parents request that they do the bath.

I worked in a nursery recently and had to examine a baby without knowing he hadn't had a bath yet. Absolutely gross (and harder to examine because he was so slippery!).

After birth:

No Hep B vaccine

It does make sense to put it in nice sentences like this. I just figured short and to the point is good!

I second talking to your doctor and hospital. I had a great natural birthing experience but I also knew that some things were a no-go from the beginning. It was hospital policy to require at least a hep lock so that there was easy access for an IV. That was fine with me but I at least knew that in advance. I also think one of the best things was waiting a while to go to the hospital and then I had a great hospital that let me walk the halls for an hour or two with intermittent monitoring until I was ready to be formally checked in.

I talked to my midwife about my wishes and she is totally fine with them. Also, I toured the hospital yesterday and it seems like a great atmosphere where the nurses really try to help you have a great experience.

You know, maybe you're right about the no bath. I had my last baby in a birth center and went home the same day 4 hours after he was born. We didn't do a bath there, and just let the coating soak into his skin. But yeah, a hospital is different I guess.

I think I will request dh give the bath instead.

As far as the bath goes, some people want to rub in the vernix. Also, some nurseries have a no accompaniment policy, so it may be to prevent separation. Some hospitals will bathe in the room though.

I was told at the hospital yesterday, that baby will get a bath in the first two hours while we are still in the delivery room. After two hours we will get moved to a postpartum room.

Yes, this was my reasoning for the no bath. But my last baby was born in a birth center and we went home 4 hours after birth. Maybe a bath at the hospital isn't such a bad idea?

Yes, this was my reasoning for the no bath. But my last baby was born in a birth center and we went home 4 hours after birth. Maybe a bath at the hospital isn't such a bad idea?

I have to go with not a bad idea.

When dd was born they forgot to give her a bath. Somehow during the chaos she just got swaddled and left bloody for a bit. I finally had to ask someone to bathe her.

Just a funny to share - My midwife asked dh if he'd like to bathe #4 in the still-full hospital birthing tub. He had missed the birth by minutes, and I had missed out on delivering in the tub, so it was a sweet idea. Until dh tried to juggle the baby and the washcloth while leaning over the side. The nurses took over pretty quickly. ;)

I might not word it that way, because then a nurse or resident might read "Tell you to start pushing at 10 cm."

I would put: "I am planning to push when my body tells me to push and do not need direction or assistance."

I worked in a nursery recently and had to examine a baby without knowing he hadn't had a bath yet. Absolutely gross (and harder to examine because he was so slippery!).

Seriously? If you find normal birth fluids gross perhaps you shouldn't be working in a nursery. Ridiculous.

I totally understand about not wanting to "scrub" off all the vernix . Going longer before the first bath is different at home or a birthing center ( and going home sooner) since there are less pathogens hanging around.Just being honest. If the concern is hospital germs, how does bathing the baby help? Wont the baby just be reexposed again right away? It seems that right after birth the baby has the least hospital germs on it that it will have. Not to mention the vernix is naturally protective.

[/color]

Nursery nurses do like to scrub that baby clean because to be perfectly honest....some mamas are kinda gross :tongue_smilie: It gets to be soooo routine to scrub them all squeaky clean. So, having dad doing the bath is a good alternative. Personally, I LOVE it when a dad wants to give the bath!

Am I really the only mama offended by this? I can't believe that people that feel this way about women really work in this field.

Edited by ktgrok

Have you talked to someone about the hospitals specific policies on some of those things? For instance, where my dc were born, I could have them with me all the time, except for during shift change (2x's a day). This was to ensure that all babies were accounted for and the nurses could make sure they were doing well.

It's weird how different hospitals are. At mine, you were not allowed to have your baby at the nursery unless there was a medical reason. It was "room in" only.

I was going to suggest what MamaBearMO did. :)

The LD RNs will probably tell you but the things you want post-birth, you will need to tell the nursery RNs. So take an extra copy for them. :)

Delayed cord clamping is VERY hard to have done in the hospital. You will have to have a heart-to-heart with your care provider about that. I have seen even the most natural birth friendly docs rush to cut the cord. It's just what they do over, and over, and over, and over again. They may wait a bit longer than usual but I have yet to see a medical professional wait until it has completely stopped pulsating.

Regarding the bath: There is evidence that the amniotic fluid and vernix have antibacterial properties. It acts as a protective layer for the baby's skin. :)

http://birthingnaturally.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/dont-wash-the-baby/

I worked in a nursery recently and had to examine a baby without knowing he hadn't had a bath yet. Absolutely gross

The staff must wear gloves so it's not like you were handling it bare handed. ;) As for the baby being slippery, you just make sure you have a gentle but firm grip.

I caught a baby once that was coming so fast I didn't have time to put gloves on. I was able to hold on to her slippery little body without dropping her. ;)

Am I really the only mama offended by this? I can't believe that people that feel this way about women really work in this field.

I was just hoping that the comment about gross mothers was a poorly worded reference to bowel movements while pushing the baby out or something like that where the baby might actually be dirty.

I was just hoping that the comment about gross mothers was a poorly worded reference to bowel movements while pushing the baby out or something like that where the baby might actually be dirty.

I suppose that is better a bit, but honestly, referring to a laboring mother as gross is so upsetting to me. I keep picturing my wonderful midwife and her birth team and the respect they have for laboring mothers. I can't imagine them calling one gross.

I might not word it that way, because then a nurse or resident might read "Tell you to start pushing at 10 cm."

I would put: "I am planning to push when my body tells me to push and do not need direction or assistance."

Except that if you're not at or very near 10 (as I was with my first) and start pushing, you can run into some serious complications! I had serious urge to push and was only at 6, if I'd "listened" to my body and pushed, pushed, pushed it would have been a nightmare!

I actually was referring to STDs, etc. I used "gross" instead of specifics.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

Love babies and new families. Not a fan of bodily fluids. Didn't care for them when I was delivering my own babies, either.

I have a hard time believing that so many women have STDs that need to be scrubbed off of babies that the habit of scrubbing them is ingrained. Your post made them sound like healthy mamas are the exception rather than the rule. Either way, the scrubbing is harsh on baby skin, and my son had a reaction to the soap used. yuck.

And obstetrics seems like a bad field for someone that doesn't like bodily fluids. Or medicine.

I have a hard time believing that so many women have STDs that need to be scrubbed off of babies that the habit of scrubbing them is ingrained. Your post made them sound like healthy mamas are the exception rather than the rule. Either way, the scrubbing is harsh on baby skin, and my son had a reaction to the soap used. yuck.

And obstetrics seems like a bad field for someone that doesn't like bodily fluids. Or medicine.

You really want to argue. Bottom line is that not one of your comments help the OP work out her birth plan.

I was merely encouraging the development of a birth plan. I love it when families bring one in. It helps me meet her expectations and make for an overall better experience for everyone. If every family had one, my job would be so much easier!

And no before you ask. Not every family wants rooming in, exclusively breastfeeding, no vac, no circ, etc. Each family is unique.

I'm good at my job, and I love it. I don't have to "like" dealing with bodily fluids to be a good nurse.

Edited by Wendy B.

You really want to argue. Bottom line is that not one of your comments help the OP work out her birth plan.

I was merely encouraging the development of a birth plan. I love it when families bring one in. It helps me meet her expectations and make for an overall better experience for everyone. If every family had one, my job would be so much easier!

And no before you ask. Not every family wants rooming in, exclusively breastfeeding, no vac, no circ, etc. Each family is unique.

I'm good at my job, and I love it. I don't have to "like" dealing with bodily fluids to be a good nurse.

I am sorry for arguing. This is not the place for it, you are right. I do feel that referring to a mom as gross is sad and disheartening. Saying it is because she has a disease does not make it ok. However, we can agree to disagree.

To the OP, if you don't want your baby bathed, don't let them do it just because the nurses might find your baby gross otherwise. They can wear gloves.

This is so bizarre.

Yes, you can in fact go into a health care field and find some of the most natural things in the world pretty gross. I've had kids who projectile vomited on me- I don't sit there and thank the Lord for having wonderfully natural body fluids on my neck. It's smelly and dirty so I wash it off. During a bowel surgery, you can get all kinds of nastiness on you. It doesn't have to be diseased for you to think it's pretty gross when you find a fat globule in your hair after the dissection of a cadaver. Necrosis? Totally natural process. Things decompose. But if you've ever been near a necrotic body part, I imagine you'd find it difficult to praise its beauty.

Labor is the same way. It is a natural part of life- we breathe, we eat, we eliminate waste, we create new life, and we die. Women aren't gross, but labor is indeed very, very gooey. I generally wore protective eye gear, a gown, gloves and shoe covers- all the people in L&D did, or we would have had to change our scrubs 100 times during the day. Women have bowel movements while pushing. And much as all that goo is natural, it isn't mine. I don't love to be surprised by it. Yes, I usually wear gloves when examining a baby, but if there is some kind of skin rash you're trying to evaluate, it's often better to touch it without gloves on so you can figure out whether it's raised, rough, etc. Finding goo on there? Yes, a little gross. We're all God's children and gross things are normal, natural and all that, but there are still textures that I don't like against my hand, especially when they don't belong to me. I really don't feel like it's that unusual, but hey, maybe I'm wrong, and everyone else likes that stuff all over them. I don't.

PS- this has nothing to do with you, OP, you need to do what makes sense to you, period. I was just responding to others' comments, not yours.

Edited by Medstudent

I think your birth plan sounds good.

I recently had a natural birth in a hospital. One thing I found very helpful--and that I think set up a friendly rather than adversarial relationship with the staff--was really focusing on what I wanted, and not on what I didn't want. For me, the big things I wanted were no pitocin, no epidural, and not being stuck on the bed. But, I tried to phrase them positively: I want my labor to progress naturally, I want to use natural methods of pain relief, I want to be able to move around freely.

I do think that helped things to go more smoothly. Rather than insisting that I not have the IV hooked up at all times (I was GBS positive, so I did need the IV for antibiotics), I said that I really wanted to be able to freely access the shower, for pain relief and relaxation, and the IV made that a bit difficult. Rather than refusing pitocin (although if it had come down to it, I would have), when my labor seemed to be stalling out, I said that I wanted to do what I could to progress things naturally. Rather than saying I didn't want to be hooked up to the monitor, I said that I really wanted to be up and around for as much of the labor as possible.

I found that the staff was just awesome about really partnering with me in finding the best ways to help me get the birth I wanted. (The fact that I had a doula and that my birth was monitored by the CNW on call rather than the OB probably helped.) I do think, though, that going in with the attitude that I was looking for a positive natural birth experience rather than that I was going to have to fight the staff about a bunch of interventions they'd try to push on me made it a lot easier and just generally more pleasant.

That's not to say that I think a birth plan shouldn't indicate what you don't want, just that, in interactions with the staff, it can be really helpful to phrase things as positively as possible.

FWIW, I think my own babies are gross when they come out. I'm not a fan of seeing my own bodily fluids. With my new DS, I'm pretty sure I had him for about 10 minutes, then they wiped him down and checked him out, then I got him back for a while, then they gave him a bath maybe 2 hours after he was born.

My hospital actually won't take your babies to the nursery any more, unless they need to for a test or check-up or some kind of medical care. That was a new policy, because when my DD was born (about a year and a half ago, at the same hospital), I was able to send her to the nursery when I wanted to shower.

FWIW, I think my own babies are gross when they come out. I'm not a fan of seeing my own bodily fluids. With my new DS, I'm pretty sure I had him for about 10 minutes, then they wiped him down and checked him out, then I got him back for a while, then they gave him a bath maybe 2 hours after he was born.

My hospital actually won't take your babies to the nursery any more, unless they need to for a test or check-up or some kind of medical care. That was a new policy, because when my DD was born (about a year and a half ago, at the same hospital), I was able to send her to the nursery when I wanted to shower.

I get that some people find body fluids gross (although how do you handle sex??? Lots of fluids there!!!). I just think it is sad beyond measure that someone that is going to be helping women go through such a time might find the women, or their normal healthy fluids, gross.

I work in the veterinary field. Anal gland secretions are gross. Diarrhea is pretty nasty. But normal amniotic fluid is not a big deal. We don't bathe the puppies as soon as they are born, you know? Normal fluids, being licked, heck, being peed on, are just not a big deal. For some it would be, but those people don't go into that field.