Menu

dresses needed for my daughter

maybe it's too early yet, but I am starting to look for dresses (for church)for my 11 year old daughter. She gets cold very easily, so long sleeves are a must....and she also doesn't like to wear white or cream tights because she thinks it makes her look like a little girl, so I am not sure what we are putting on her legs this winter. She also doesn't like to wear leggings becasue she doesn't like the fact that there are no feet in them and she doesn't like how they look. So I am honestly not sure what we are going to do yet. She would wear a dress with short sleeves if we can find a nice sweater to go on top...but I can't afford it if each piece is $30...and we usually get 2 church outfits each season. Does anybody have any thoughts for me? thanks.

My favorite places for my daughter's dresses are JC Pennys and Wal-Mart. So many places only sell dresses that look way too teenish to me. JC Penny has many sweet dresses that my daughter loves. I also really like Wal-Mart's George brand dresses. She never wears any of her dresses out because she only wears them to church and for special occasions and hangs them up as soon as we get home.

My 11 yo still fits in and enjoys the basic Lands End dress. She's almost 5' and is in the size 14 this year--one size left, so we might get one more year. We wait until we can get them 25% off with free shipping (Lands End has periodic sales), and then in will be under $20. She also doesn't have a problem with tights. If she did, I might try to get her some boots. She now wears ballet flats instead of buckle shoes. Skirts are also good--hers are still twirly style.

Boy they grow up fast, don't they? It's definitely harder to find her clothes in the last year or so.

I would look at Land's End, LL Bean, and Hanna Anderson. If you watch for sales, you can find dresses at all these places vey reasonably price. They wear well and last forever.

Here's one at Land's End that is really cute.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SmockedRuffleBottomDress~225563_1187.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DLI&CM_MERCH=IDX_Girls-_-DressesSkirtsSkorts&origin=index

this is cute....what would you recommend for her legs and feet? I know this sounds like a really dumb question...but I am sort of stumped...

My 11 yo still fits in and enjoys the basic Lands End dress. She's almost 5' and is in the size 14 this year--one size left, so we might get one more year. We wait until we can get them 25% off with free shipping (Lands End has periodic sales), and then in will be under $20. She also doesn't have a problem with tights. If she did, I might try to get her some boots. She now wears ballet flats instead of buckle shoes. Skirts are also good--hers are still twirly style.

Boy they grow up fast, don't they? It's definitely harder to find her clothes in the last year or so.

does your daughter wear white tights? Or what color?

She does wear white. They are the heavier knit kind of tights (TicTacToe brand). She's had a cream color in the past that I would get if they matched the dress better, but usually white. I would also do black if that looked good with the dress colors, but I don't think black would look too good with the navy dress she has for this year (haven't bought a second dress yet).

She does wear white. They are the heavier knit kind of tights (TicTacToe brand). She's had a cream color in the past that I would get if they matched the dress better, but usually white. I would also do black if that looked good with the dress colors, but I don't think black would look too good with the navy dress she has for this year (haven't bought a second dress yet).

This is one of the few things that those blue jean looking leggings looks decent with....if you go the boot route.

You said she doesn't like leggings or white tights. Does she like funky pattern tights? These are cute.

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Girls-Underwear-Socks-Leggings.html

The clothes here are costly, but the tights are two to a pack, so not too bad. They also have a link entitled Outfit Ideas; a couple of photos are of fun leggings and tights with various skirts and dresses. Might good for discussion. :)

My 12 yr old has gotten a lot of mileage out of her dresses, skirts and tights. They look cute with shoes, boots and high top sneakers. I love the outfits she does put together. She was also on a leg warmer kick and I think that is really adorable.

Edited by LibraryLover

My dd's love to wear boots in the winter. I would check out your goodwill for a jean jacket or sweaters. They are so easy to dress up and match so much. I like to find my daughter a black skirt (knee length) b/c it looks great with everything. She can wear it with a turtle neck and leggings and boots, a tee-shirt and a jean jacket. My dd has liked adding scarves to her outfits as well. It makes it a lot of fun to have a couple of separates to play with.

...and she also doesn't like to wear white or cream tights because she thinks it makes her look like a little girl, so I am not sure what we are putting on her legs this winter.

I agree with the funky tights suggestion. They are usually thick cotton, and quite warm. Not like thin dance tights. If you don't care for funky, try black or brown or navy. We always buy a size larger than the package suggests, so they last longer and feel less tight, if you know what I mean. Marshalls had a ton of nice ones last year. My dd gets them as presents at the holidays.

The tights look nice with a clog, as a PP suggested, or with a Merrell jungle moc or the Lands End version, or even a funky hiking boot or, dare I suggest it, Uggs..

A dress with some texture and heft - a solidly winter dress - will complete the look.

ETA - I have found, at that age, it was helpful to send away for a ton of catalogs from fashion-forward companies, and have dd circle what she liked. I saw what she was thinking, and could purchase accordingly. It helped me to know what to look for on the second-hand market also.

Edited by askPauline

My dd has outgrown the Land's End knit dress look, unfortunately. We just gave away 6 or 7 of them to her cousin--it was actually hard for me to let them go! LOL

She likes to layer lately, and is looking forward to wearing winter clothes. Skirts with boots and boot socks or tights (so you don't really see a lot of the tights) are going to be her new fav, I think.

For more dressy times, we love Bonnie Jean dresses. Penney's usually carries some (be careful there, tho, as they sell the Little Hooker Line, too--;)) and we've gotten one on Amazon. She had two sweater dresses last year that she wore with ribbed tights--they were more sophisticated and did not look like little girl dresses. Here's one we got her. She wore it with black flats.