Menu

Look what's on the side of my house!

There were two! This one is about two feet from my sliding glass door. I sprayed them both, came back a few days laters and this one was all fixed up again. I guess I'll leave it until winter and then take it down for the kids to inspect. I don't know if they are wasps or hornets. They mind their own business and are harmless unless some clever child thows a dirt clod at them:tongue_smilie::lol: The smaller thing beside it is a yellow jacket nest. Yellow Jackets do not mind their own business and are not harmless!

There were two! This one is about two feet from my sliding glass door. I sprayed them both, came back a few days laters and this one was all fixed up again. I guess I'll leave it until winter and then take it down for the kids to inspect. I don't know if they are wasps or hornets. They mind their own business and are harmless unless some clever child thows a dirt clod at them:tongue_smilie::lol: The smaller thing beside it is a yellow jacket nest. Yellow Jackets do not mind their own business and are not harmless!

Be careful about bringing it inside during winter. Some nests aren't abandoned, only dormat, and once inside a nice warm house, everyone "wakes up"

They look like bald face hornets, which, according to one site I saw recently, have the 7th most painful sting of anything. My oldest was stung recently, but it turns out it was a spider wasp (we thought it my be a bald face hornet at first).

Well the clever clod thrower recovered pretty quickly and wasn't swollen at all. How do yellow jackets rank on the painful sting scale, because the stings I had from them were the worst bunch stings I have ever had and they stayed painful for about a week. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: You're right, that's what they are. I found this.

Edited by stormy weather

Be careful about bringing it inside during winter. Some nests aren't abandoned, only dormat, and once inside a nice warm house, everyone "wakes up"

I thought they just all died, we would have had an exciting time this winter if I had brought them in:001_huh: We'll do our nest work out doors, for sure.

Well the clever clod thrower recovered pretty quickly and wasn't swollen at all. How do yellow jackets rank on the painful sting scale, because the stings I had from them were the worst bunch stings I have ever had and they stayed painful for about a week. :tongue_smilie:

I have no idea! I can tell you the spider wasp sting swelled up huge and hurt for several days. I'm glad your clever clod thrower recovered quickly!!!

There's no stinkin' way that I'd allow a hornets nest to stick around on my home or property.

I hate stinging insects. I've developed a nice phobia of them over the years to the point where I left my then 1 year old daughter (my eldest) outside with the bees while I ran for my house...all because one got too close to me and buzzed around me a bit. So much for maternal instinct, right?

Now that I've had to do some manual pollinating in my garden, I'm working on becoming more comfortable with bees. I was even thinking of planting a few bee-attracting plants.

JoAnn, who doesn't know if her kids are allergic to stings or not.

I don't know why I looked at that. I have the heebie jeebies now.

A number of years ago I had climbed through my sons bedroom window onto the patio roof to trim back my neighbors tree. As I was happily lopping away I turned and saw a giant wasps nest. Truthfully, I did not know I could move this fast as I dove through the open window and slammed it shut. I then ran to dh to tell him of my harrowing experience. He was not properly sympathetic to my plight. His response was to shrug and point out that I did not get stung. :glare:

I watched that thing from the window for the rest of the summer. Patiently waiting for the nest to be abandoned. Finally, in November when it was shredded beyond belief I went out there and lopped off the branch. Then I tossed it in my neighbors yard (okay, not proud of that but she was a lousy neighbor).

Good luck with your nature study.

ETA: You're right, that's what they are. I found this.

I was stung by ground hornets last summer. I think the hornet stings were worse, but recovery was a bit faster than w/ yellow jacket stings. You can also run away from yellow jackets, but the hornets will follow you just like in the cartoons! :(