Menu

Story of Science by Joy Hakim

KristenR

I keep seeing mixed reviews on this. Amazon lists it as "Young Adult" but I see two reviews where one says grades 5-8 and another that says grades 8 and up. What is it appropriate for?

Also is it secular? Young earth, old earth? Creation or evolution?

Anyone?

I have decided to save it for high school. I am using The Great Scientist Series that is shared by Paige Hudson, the author of ES.

As far as the reading level is concerned, it appears to be upper middle school. You could certainly read this aloud. I read the parts that were offered, and I thought perhaps that the details were too much for a first time approach to studying scientists. I do not add a book of this type to history, but I add it to science along with timeline entries for science too.

It is a secular resource. With that noted, you should be prepared for references to prehistory that assume a much older earth, billions of years before the marked history of 4000ish BC.

I believe that it truly is going to be a child-by-child decision based on previous studies and content. :)

I hope that this helped you some.

http://www.joyhakim.com/

I have used it for logic stage. it has been a great addition to our history curriculum.

It isn't religion based so old earth or whatever doesn't come into play.

Evolution hasn't come up in the first book, that I have noticed. It started with the Egyptians and then moved to the Greeks etc. I brought it in for additional history reading where applicable. My son was in 5th grade last year and he liked it very much. We used it for history outlining and narrations.

I have all three books and plan to use them for the entire logic stage.

We have the first two. I'd say Middle school/Jr High. (DS read the 1st one for 6th, will use the 2nd for 7th). For a highschooler, the books are a nice supplement, but do not replace a highschool science or history program.

I do not like them particularly because they are too busy - sidebars, boxes, color, and I do not care for the tone in which the author addresses the reader. But they do contain a lot of information, and are nicely illustrated.

I do not like them particularly because they are too busy - sidebars, boxes, color, and I do not care for the tone in which the author addresses the reader. But they do contain a lot of information, and are nicely illustrated.

:iagree: , but what to replace them with. Haven't found anything, yet.

My 7th grader is using the Aristotle this year. We just began, but I pre-read most of it. I also bought the quest guide to go with it. I decided to go this direction because we are out of sequence in history and are back to Ancients. I like the idea of covering the great scientists and their discoveries in a historical context. The quest provides experiments and projects to accompany the text, but I feel they are probably too light for a high school science course.

As for secular. I would consider it secular although each scientist listed is influenced by the culture and religion of their time. There are quotes from the Bible in the opening as well as other religions, but they are used to describe those times and thoughts more than to say this is a biblical truth. Joy Hakim was the Keynote at our convention, and she wrote the books to be used in homeschooling and in the public schools so she walks the line.

We really love Hakim's books. As a bonus, she also just seems like a really nice person. My daughter emailed her and had a nice conversation about her books. She even sent some chapters of her new book for my daughter to read and give her opinions on.

I don't think my daughter would love them so much if I just handed them to her and told her to go read. The fact we both like them and read them together makes them special.

We have the first two. I'd say Middle school/Jr High. (DS read the 1st one for 6th, will use the 2nd for 7th). For a highschooler, the books are a nice supplement, but do not replace a highschool science or history program.

:iagree: I'm using them as a supplement with our world history program. I'm not attempting to line things up perfectly, just generally. For this I think they are good.

Yes. But I don't dislike the layout/tone in these as much as I do her US history series, which I've never been able to bring myself to use at all...

add lots of context and structure.

I was going to do this with mine this year ( 6th and 4th) but we are overwhelmed with Calvert so I'm saving them.

I was hping to use them because 6th grader is never ever getting out of Ancients.

I think they are great if supplimented with the John Hopkins Quest materials.

They are science not religion, She honors religious truths, and myths , but is not Christian Biased, pointing out that BCE and CE are appropriate terms to use in non Christian contexts.

~christine in al

I keep seeing mixed reviews on this. Amazon lists it as "Young Adult" but I see two reviews where one says grades 5-8 and another that says grades 8 and up. What is it appropriate for?

Also is it secular? Young earth, old earth? Creation or evolution?

Anyone?

In my opinion, it's middle school. 8th grade is the oldest I'd consider it appropriate for.

Totally secular.

We are using it as a crossover between history and science. It's sort of a supplement to each. We love her books here, too, though I agree that they are busy. I don't like sidebars. We just go back and read them after finishing the chapter.

I agree about 8th being the oldest - and then only as a supplement.

However, I have not seen the Quest guides - perhaps they add more meat?

I think they would be interresting to anyone at any age, but for actual curriculum..... they just aren't in depth enough for what I personally consider a science course. To me - they are more history.

We are using them as a supplement to our history curriculum this year