Menu

Just finished watching North & South, next recommendation please!

Wow! That WAS good!!!!! I saw the thread about this BBC movie a few days ago. Today, I was looking at Netflix for something to watch and it popped up. I thought, "What the heck...let's try it out."

I LOVED it!!! Now I want another recommendation from the hive! You all have great taste! What should I watch now on Netflix?

:lurk5: The popcorn icon is so apropos!

I loved North and South. I watched it straight after Pride and Prejudice.

I downloaded the book of it for the kindle. I was so glad for the built in dictionary on the kindle because her vocabulary can be archaic. Great book, loved her others too.

Looking forward to hearing more recommendations. Wish I could get netflick in Australia.

Downton Abbey, definitely.

My favorite BBC production is "The Lost Prince," the true story of little Prince John of England. He lived in the early years of the 20th century. He had epilepsy and possibly mild autism and was kept hidden from the public. In spite of this, he had a sweet, lovely spirit. The movie is a joy to watch.

I love BBC costume dramas. The are my comfort food. These are the ones that I watch a lot.

Cranford...It is BBC at it's best.

Return to Cranford.....not as good but still enjoyable.

Wives and Daughters...Lovely.

Larkrise to Candleford...I'm not sure if this is on Netflix yet.

Tenant of Wildfell Hall

Jane Eyre 2006

Under the Greenwood Tree...Thomas Hardy with a happy ending. :tongue_smilie:

Little Dorrit

Our Mutual Friend

I could go on day, so I'll end with Sense and Sensibility 2008. The colors in this film are beautiful.

Oh, two more BBC's that are favorites of my kids, and I like them too: :001_smile:

Merlin

Robin Hood season 1....skip season 2 & 3. Trust me. Season 1 is light and campy and lots of fun and as an added bonus, stars Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisborne.

Oh goody! I have some Netflix watching to do! I didn't realize the BBC had such wonderful productions! I've been watching too much Hollywood. Thanks for all the great recommendations! :001_smile:

Is North and South based on a Jane Eyre novel? It seemed so similar to Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility (LOVE those movies too!) I know I can just go to Google and look this up for myself, but it's much more fun to have a conversation about it, than just simply look it up as a fact! ;)

Oh goody! I have some Netflix watching to do! I didn't realize the BBC had such wonderful productions! I've been watching too much Hollywood. Thanks for all the great recommendations! :001_smile:

Is North and South based on a Jane Eyre novel? It seemed so similar to Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility (LOVE those movies too!) I know I can just go to Google and look this up for myself, but it's much more fun to have a conversation about it, than just simply look it up as a fact! ;)

North and South is a novel written by Elizabeth Gaskell. It's one of my favorites. I enjoy other books by this author as well--you might give her a try.

Oh, thanks! Is Elizabeth Gaskell as similar to Jane Austen as the movie made it seem?

I put Jane Eyre in my earlier post - I meant Jane Austen! :blushing:

Yes, similar. However, I find that Gaskell's writing style is a tiny bit simpler and more direct. In that sense her books are an easier read. North and South is a little "deeper" because it deals with class differences and prejudices, but is not a heavy read. It makes one think while still relaxing and enjoying the story.

Wow! That WAS good!!!!! I saw the thread about this BBC movie a few days ago. Today, I was looking at Netflix for something to watch and it popped up. I thought, "What the heck...let's try it out."

I LOVED it!!! Now I want another recommendation from the hive! You all have great taste! What should I watch now on Netflix?

Loved North and South. Read the book, too.

My favorite BBC production is "The Lost Prince," the true story of little Prince John of England. He lived in the early years of the 20th century. He had epilepsy and possibly mild autism and was kept hidden from the public. In spite of this, he had a sweet, lovely spirit. The movie is a joy to watch.

Downton Abbey was great, but now I have to wait for another season.

I'll have to look for "The Lost Prince"

Persuasion is a different story from Sense and Sensibility altogether. Both are wonderful, but I find that I actually prefer Persuasion.

Yes, I understand that and have watched and read both stories. Alan Rickman has just not been in any version of Persuasion I have watched. He is, of course, wonderful as Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility!

Alas, there is no listing for Persuasion on Rickman's IMDB page.

Thanks! He really would make a good Wentworth, I believe :001_smile:.

I just took a look at this and added it to my list. I enjoyed Wives and Daughters and Downton Abbey.

The newest Emma adaptation with Romola Garai is wonderful as well.

I found it for purchase at Amazon Instant Video but it's not available on Instant Watch from Netfilx. I think I'll check my library. I just finished watching the 1972 version, which was very close to the book. It's not available online either, and came in 2 dvd's from Netflix.

I love "The Lost Prince" too. What a wonderful film.

If you need a bit of BBC costume comedy instead of dramas try "Jeeves and Wooster"-it is just wonderful! Hugh Laurie is the delightfully humorous Bertie and Stephen Fry is Jeeves.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

I love "The Lost Prince" too. What a wonderful film.

If you need a bit of BBC costume comedy instead of drams try "Jeeves and Wooster"-it is just wonderful! Hugh Laurie is the delightfully humorous Bertie and Stephen Fry is Jeeves.

LOVE Jeeves and Wooster. Truly hilarious. The books are laugh-out-loud funny as well.

Yes, similar. However, I find that Gaskell's writing style is a tiny bit simpler and more direct. In that sense her books are an easier read. North and South is a little "deeper" because it deals with class differences and prejudices, but is not a heavy read. It makes one think while still relaxing and enjoying the story.

Oh! That would be nice! I love the Jane Austen movies and I love to read, so I picked up a Jane Austen novel to read once. *WHEW!* I guess I'm not so very smart, because I found it so hard to read and understand! I felt like I was back in college, trying to read a law book and follow the wording, vocabulary and sentences!

It sounds like I would really enjoy Gaskell's books as well as the movies!

And what was up with the kiss at the end of the newer Persuasion? Blech.

I agree. That was one of the worst movie kisses ever. It was beyond cringe worthy. The poor actress looked like a baby bird waiting for a worm from her mother. Don't get me started on that movie. Between the kiss, Anne's greasy hair and the running all over Bath........what the what what? That movie was done by by ITV not BBC.

The Amanda Root Persuasion from the 90's is wonderful.

Do you mean Sense and Sensibility or is there actually a version of Persuasion I've missed?! I think Rickman would make a fine Captain Wentworth.

Ciaran Hinds is Wentworth, and I doubt even Rickman could have been better. Incredible.

ETA: I see this has already been explained. Sorry!

My favorite BBC move EVER. Richard Armitage and Daniela-Denby Ashe were simply excellent in this. And you've heard, haven't you, that he is one the main dwarves in the upcoming Hobbit movie, right? Can't wait!

My next fave is the 2006 BBC version of Jane Eyre with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson. It's the best!!

On the surface it does seem similar to Pride and Prejudice, but I think the characters are much more complex and well-developed. Mr. Thornton, for example. We are allowed into his thoughts and feelings whereas in P & P, we get only Elizabeth's perspective. Also the storyline is deeper and richer than P & P. The whole side story about the working conditions of the factory workers was done very well, IMO.

Interestingly, I read somewhere that she was not happy with the ending in the book, but was writing it in serial format and was under the gun to finish it. She wanted to rewrite it but died before she was able. I definitely prefer the movie ending to the book ending.

Edited by matermagistra

On the surface it does seem similar to Pride and Prejudice, but I think the characters are much more complex and well-developed. Mr. Thornton, for example. We are allowed into his thoughts and feelings whereas in P & P, we get only Elizabeth's perspective. Also the storyline is deeper and richer than P & P. The whole side story about the working conditions of the factory workers was done very well, IMO.

Interestingly, I read somewhere that she was not happy with the ending in the book, but was writing it in serial format and was under the gun to finish it. She wanted to rewrite it but died before she was able. I definitely prefer the movie ending to the book ending.

Oh! I only saw the movie! How did the book end?

Oh! I only saw the movie! How did the book end?

It ends with her at the table, going over the "business proposition." She gets flustered so he hugs her, she gets embarrassed and doesn't want to raise her head to look at him. He coaxes her out of her embarrassment to look at him. And there is no kiss. I'm sorry-but the movie ending is worth that kissing scene alone. I get butterflies in my stomach every time I see it!! :)

It ends with her at the table, going over the "business proposition." She gets flustered so he hugs her, she gets embarrassed and doesn't want to raise her head to look at him. He coaxes her out of her embarrassment to look at him. And there is no kiss. I'm sorry-but the movie ending is worth that kissing scene alone. I get butterflies in my stomach every time I see it!! :)

Wow! I agree! It just doesn't work without that kiss! That makes all the angst of "will they ever get together?" worth it!!!

Sounds like you all are much more in the know than me. I love this thread and have been copying and pasting the great suggestions.

Dh and I absolutely love this boxed set. I swear, if I was rich, I would buy this set for all our friends and loved ones. :D We bought it at Costco several years ago.

It includes:

• Pride and Prejudice - love this version with Colin Firth
  • Emma
  • Jane Eyre
  • Ivanhoe
  • Tom Jones
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel - love this one
  • Lorna Doone - AMAZING :D
  • Victoria and Albert

45404916.JPG