Menu

Moms with children with nut allergies, please help.

DD has a classmate with peanut allergy's and dd favorite lunch is the all American PBJ and favorite snack apples or pretzels dipped in....peanut butter. So I copied a list of peanut free alternatives, my question is can she bring snacks or lunch foods that have the warning of "manufactured in plant that processes peanut products" or however that is stated.

All I know is not peanut butter but I know many foods do contain peanuts in some form or food item may have come in contact with..... I know it won't be difficult once I learn the safe items for her to have around her classmate.

Here's a quick list of what I know she will eat

veggies, fruit, pretzels, graham crackers, cheeze its, tortilla rollups with lunch meat and cheese, apple sauce, pudding, yogurt with a few chocolate chips or honey, pretzels with cheese dip, goldfish in cheddar, teddy grahams.

Any ideas or other food suggestions I have not thought of. TIA

Check with her parents.

Each child's allergy can be different and there are different levels of severity.

Definitely no sharing of food though. And if there are concerns, be sure your daughter doesn't eat around her friend and washes her hands after eating.

SoyNut Butter is a safe substitute for peanut butter (if there aren't soy allergies).

Tortilla chips should be safe too.

From a parent of a child with allergies, thanks for thinking about your daughter's friend and her safety. It's tough.

DD has a classmate with peanut allergy's and dd favorite lunch is the all American PBJ and favorite snack apples or pretzels dipped in....peanut butter. So I copied a list of peanut free alternatives, my question is can she bring snacks or lunch foods that have the warning of "manufactured in plant that processes peanut products" or however that is stated.

All I know is not peanut butter but I know many foods do contain peanuts in some form or food item may have come in contact with..... I know it won't be difficult once I learn the safe items for her to have around her classmate.

veggies, fruit, pretzels, graham crackers, cheeze its, tortilla rollups with lunch meat and cheese, apple sauce, pudding, yogurt with a few chocolate chips or honey, pretzels with cheese dip, goldfish in cheddar, teddy grahams.

Your best bet is to ask the parent. One suggestion to replace PB&J is cream cheese & jam sandwch.

Yes, ask the parents--but, something "manufactured...etc." does not pose anywhere near the danger that PB does for most allergic children. PB is sticky and smeary, it gets everywhere and many allergic people react to the smell all by itself. I wouldn't worry for a second about Teddy Grahams myself (my daughter is allergic to all nuts and legumes, esp. peanuts).

Can I just say how much I appreciate the thought and effort you're going to for another child's health and welfare? Stuff like that makes us allergic-kid parents tear up in gratitude. :)

This is just stuff for your own daughter to eat, right? You are trying to eliminate peanut butter from her lunch so she can sit by her friend without worry? If so, then absolutely stuff manufactured in the same facility would not be a big deal IMO. Also - I highly reccomend checking out sunbutter (sunflower seed butter - yum), almond butter or soynut butter as a sub in her sandwiches. My kids made the transition fairly smoothly when we needed to do so.

Another thank you from the mom of a highly allergic kiddo! How thoughtful of you.

I'd say check with her parents on the "may contain"s, but they are probably ok if your kiddo will not share food, and will wash hands after eating.

Mmmmm... Sunbutter. Great alternative to PB.

This is just stuff for your own daughter to eat, right? You are trying to eliminate peanut butter from her lunch so she can sit by her friend without worry? If so, then absolutely stuff manufactured in the same facility would not be a big deal IMO. Also - I highly reccomend checking out sunbutter (sunflower seed butter - yum), almond butter or soynut butter as a sub in her sandwiches. My kids made the transition fairly smoothly when we needed to do so.

almond butter is made with almonds. Almond is a nut and I would not recommend substituting with this unless you know for a fact there is not a tree nut allergy.

My DD is allergic to peanuts AND tree nuts. So it does make a HUGE difference.

Yes, "manufactured in" isn't a risk. Then again, I'd caution against soy nut butter. But then, I'm anti-soy in general. The idea that it's a health food makes me laugh.

I do wonder sometimes at all the hysteria about the allergies. I have several allergies, in addition to my celiac disease and casein/lactose intolerances. My son has several allergies, including tree nuts (not almonds though) and peanuts...but I've never stopped the kids in his co-op from having a PB+J. I suppose maybe some kids can't even smell it? I mean, I'm just curious how far it goes...

He definitely knows not to eat it, that it "huwts my bewwy."

almond butter is made with almonds. Almond is a nut and I would not recommend substituting with this unless you know for a fact there is not a tree nut allergy.

My DD is allergic to peanuts AND tree nuts. So it does make a HUGE difference.

Almonds are not nuts.

Almonds are not nuts.

A nut in cuisine is a much less restrictive category than a nut in botany, as the term is applied to many seeds that are not botanically true nuts. Any large, oily kernel found within a shell and used in food may be regarded as a nut.

Because nuts generally have a high oil content, they are a highly prized food and energy source. A large number of seeds are edible by humans and used in cooking, eaten raw, sprouted, or roasted as a snack food, or pressed for oil that is used in cookery and cosmetics. Nuts (or seeds generally) are also a significant source of nutrition for wildlife. This is particularly true in temperate climates where animals such as jays and squirrels store acorns and other nuts during the autumn to keep them from starving during the late autumn, all of winter, and early spring.

Nuts used for food, whether true nut or not, are among the most common food allergens.[3]

Some fruits and seeds that do not meet the botanical definition but are nuts in the culinary sense:

my daughter is allergic to almonds and her allergist classified it as a "tree nut". Whether or not it's a true nut doesn't matter to me.

My son is severely allergic to peanuts. For him, peanut butter is very dangerous because it transfers so easily from the hands and onto things, and it only takes a small amount (a fingerprint from the oil) for him to react.

Sunbutter is really good. As far as whether being manufactured with peanuts, I agree to ask the parent. Different kids can have different degrees of reactivity.

I'm curious....are all the students required to not bring in anything with peanuts or is it just you that is avoiding it? Regardless...:iagree: that it is very nice of you to be so concerned and to work with it. I recently saw a news segment about a little girl (cutest little thing) with a peanut allergy and the parents of her classmates were banning HER from the school....not banning the peanuts. They were so angry that their children had to give up peanuts. I realize it is unfortunate for the peanut-lovers and it's an inconvenience....but to be so mad about it? Even the teacher was upset because she said the students had to wash their hands too many times and it took too much class time. Wouldn't they wash normally after each bathroom use and just once after eating lunch??

Can anyone tell me where I can find Sunbutter? Where in the store would this be....or is there a place to buy online?

Sunbutter is a great alternative. My son is also allergic to other tree nuts, so almond butter would be out - I would check and see if it's just peanuts or tree nuts also. (And he is allergic all tree nuts - not just almonds...., so whatever the classification of an almond is, he's still allergic!) He can eat things that are "manufactured in...", just not things with nuts as an ingredient.

I'm not hysterical about my sons allergies - he can be around it, just can't eat it. But I know some kids with very severe nut allergies and just smelling it can cause anaphylactic shock. It's scary for those parents - and kids! And epi-pens are only a temporary solution for those kids as well. Here's an interesting article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4481546.stm

Thanks for being concerned! I had parents at my oldest ds preschool years ago who were mad at me because their child couldn't bring peanut butter. It's a hard place to be when your kids have nut allergies, and I for one really appreciate those who are concerned about it!

Good luck finding fun alternatives.

Melody

I'm curious....are all the students required to not bring in anything with peanuts or is it just you that is avoiding it? Regardless...:iagree: that it is very nice of you to be so concerned and to work with it. I recently saw a news segment about a little girl (cutest little thing) with a peanut allergy and the parents of her classmates were banning HER from the school....not banning the peanuts. They were so angry that their children had to give up peanuts. I realize it is unfortunate for the peanut-lovers and it's an inconvenience....but to be so mad about it? Even the teacher was upset because she said the students had to wash their hands too many times and it took too much class time. Wouldn't they wash normally after each bathroom use and just once after eating lunch??

Can anyone tell me where I can find Sunbutter? Where in the store would this be....or is there a place to buy online?

They have a website http://www.sunbutter.com/ - numerous stores around me also carry it: Whole Foods, King Soopers, Target, Sunflower Market....you might just call a few stores and see if they carry it - it's becoming a lot more popular with all the nut allergies!

Melody

Yes, "manufactured in" isn't a risk. Then again, I'd caution against soy nut butter. But then, I'm anti-soy in general. The idea that it's a health food makes me laugh.

I do wonder sometimes at all the hysteria about the allergies. I have several allergies, in addition to my celiac disease and casein/lactose intolerances. My son has several allergies, including tree nuts (not almonds though) and peanuts...but I've never stopped the kids in his co-op from having a PB+J. I suppose maybe some kids can't even smell it? I mean, I'm just curious how far it goes...

I think that your understanding is how a lot of people view the peanut allergy. A lot of parents think it is hysteria, but it CAN actually be deadly, depending on the *severity* of the allergy, which depends on the individual.

My son is so allergic that just being next to a person eating a pbj makes his face swell up and he is unable to breathe. It is very frightening that it is that severe. But to try to explain this weird allergy, it is very difficult for people to fathom, because they can talk to another person whose allergy is not as severe. They just do not believe it. I have had moms get very nasty with me when I arranged outings and asked them to not bring pbj. To this day, years later, I still am the "mom with the peanut allergic kid," and I am sure they think I was just being hysterical with no sound basis for requesting that he stay away from peanut butter. Frustrating, to say the least. But when you're the mom in the ER with your kid who can't breathe enough times, carrying the epipen that you hope you never have to use, you get where you have to be blunt, whether others think you're hysterical or not. It is no offense and not hysteria; just protecting our kids.

"Manufactured in" *might* be a risk, depending on the severity of the child's allergy. The parents would know best, because they have seen their children react. Not every child with a peanut allergy reacts the same. For my son, it's not just an upset stomach, but a life or death situation.

Susan

They have a website http://www.sunbutter.com/ - numerous stores around me also carry it: Whole Foods, King Soopers, Target, Sunflower Market....you might just call a few stores and see if they carry it - it's becoming a lot more popular with all the nut allergies!

Melody

Albertson's carries it where I live.You might be able to request your supermarket to order it for you.

Susan

Melody

Both health food stores here have it. You can get it on Amazon too, and it's really cheap with the "Subscribe" option. I'm going to sign up for that myself, as The Squishy has severe peanut & treenut allergies.

my daughter is allergic to almonds and her allergist classified it as a "tree nut". Whether or not it's a true nut doesn't matter to me.

coolness. Almonds are the one "nut" I can have... I grew up sucking the chocolate off scorched almonds despite being allergic to tree nuts and peanuts. Almond butter is gross, but it's nice that people who care can have something in that family around me.

It's nice that OP is concerned about her friend's child... thank you from another allergic person and allergy mum too.

My son has twice gone into anaphylaxis from inhaling nut proteins. Once when children were pouring cashews into the jar top and passing them around. My son walked to within 3 feet of them, realized they had nuts, and we walked away fairly quickly. But it was too late. The other inhalation reaction was in a store, that had samples, tons of bagged candies, and just a myriad of opportunities for particles in the air. Both times were frightening, both times involved throat swelling and breathing difficulties, among other symptoms, and were classified as anaphylaxis. We were lucky. And now we know.

It is fairly easy for nut proteins to be aerosolized and float in the air, then inhaled, then the body's immune system goes to work. I don't worry so much about bananas (he is ana to those as well), because they aren't easily aerosolized. And PB is so sticky, and the residue can be unseen, just waiting to cause issues for a contact sensitive kiddo. All kids are different.

Allergies can be life-threatening, and parents are responsible for keeping their kids safe. None of us mean to come across as hysterical. :) I hate feeling that other people think that of me, but keeping my child breathing has to be a priority. We've almost lost him too many times.

ETA: I'm now kicking myself for coming across as hysterical! Aaagh, it is so hard to try to talk about life-threatening allergies without sounding hysterical. Forgive me?

Edited by Spryte

My son has twice gone into anaphylaxis from inhaling nut proteins. Once when children were pouring cashews into the jar top and passing them around. My son walked to within 3 feet of them, realized they had nuts, and we walked away fairly quickly. But it was too late. The other inhalation reaction was in a store, that had samples, tons of bagged candies, and just a myriad of opportunities for particles in the air. Both times were frightening, both times involved throat swelling and breathing difficulties, among other symptoms, and were classified as anaphylaxis. We were lucky. And now we know.

It is fairly easy for nut proteins to be aerosolized and float in the air, then inhaled, then the body's immune system goes to work. I don't worry so much about bananas (he is ana to those as well), because they aren't easily aerosolized. And PB is so sticky, and the residue can be unseen, just waiting to cause issues for a contact sensitive kiddo. All kids are different.

Allergies can be life-threatening, and parents are responsible for keeping their kids safe. None of us mean to come across as hysterical. :) I hate feeling that other people think that of me, but keeping my child breathing has to be a priority. We've almost lost him too many times.

ETA: I'm now kicking myself for coming across as hysterical! Aaagh, it is so hard to try to talk about life-threatening allergies without sounding hysterical. Forgive me?

But see your not. It's life threatening. My DD is too. If I come across as hysterical so be it. It's her LIFE that is at stake and I am sorry to others but PB and the like is NOT that important in life - to cost my DD hers.

I cannot begin to thank you enough for your compassionate inquiry and sensitivity to the classmates' food allergy. My daughter has life-threatening food allergies and has had terrifying reactions to minute amounts of her allergens. Really, truly, from the bottom of my heart. Thank You.

I second asking the parent of the classmate. Sensitivities do vary.

I cannot begin to thank you enough for your compassionate inquiry and sensitivity to the classmates' food allergy. My daughter has life-threatening food allergies and has had terrifying reactions to minute amounts of her allergens. Really, truly, from the bottom of my heart. Thank You.

:iagree:

My dd used to have life-threatening food allergies (especially to milk and peanut) until she was desensitized (done in a hospital). I really appreciated the people who were truly concerned and did everything they could to keep her safe. I know there were people out there who were annoyed by it, and it made me appreciate people like the OP even more.

We wound up homeschooling because of food allergies, and wound up liking it so much we have continued even after the desensitization, but that is beside the point.

I would ask the parents if "may contains/manufactured in shared facilities" are okay for their child. Each situation is different.

I know, right? I've just learned to say that I have found out that paranoia is the appropriate way for me to parent if I want to get her to adulthood alive. I didn't start out paranoid--I had it beaten into me by scary incidents that involved hospitals.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I know, right? I've just learned to say that I have found out that paranoia is the appropriate way for me to parent if I want to get her to adulthood alive. I didn't start out paranoid--I had it beaten into me by scary incidents that involved hospitals.

In my experience, if you don't say enough, people will not take it seriously. I have to say that the allergy is life threatening, and I try to give examples (my son almost died from anaphylaxis)... Sadly, this is also viewed by some as being "hysterical." I don't like to have to explain our history, but for some people, saying he is allergic is not enough. One woman, even after being told of our experience, asked me how I knew for sure he was allergic.

The bottom line: We do what we have to do to protect our kids and keep them breathing. There will always be people who will respond "hysterically" in defense of their right to eat peanut butter.

I always tried to plan my own events so I could control the exposure. I would never ask anyone at their own event to not serve pbj, unless it was a good friend. I will never forget one mom. I arranged a small gathering and asked all of the moms to please not bring peanut butter. I explained how my son was very allergic and could die. She was so offended and told me that she would plan to bring her child's favorite assortment of nut butters. She told me that she was taken aback by my request and offended. I cancelled the event, for the safety of my son. Then that particular mom backed out. Then several moms mocked me and asked if I kept my son in a bubble and if I wiped down the park equipment to disinfect it. Geez... Talk about hysteria!!!

Another time I planned a field trip and requested the parents to please not bring pbj to the event, because of my son's allergy. One mom, who complained about her child's grass allergies, brought a huge jar of peanut butter and her whole picnic table consisted of peanut butter sandwiches. My son got very sick and we left the event. This lady told me that it was all she could afford, but she "felt very bad" afterwards. This same lady went to Starbucks on the way to the field trip, so it was hard to take her apology seriously, especially since she knew how allergic my son is.

Well, that was 5 years ago, but it is still fresh in my memory. My son had to learn that adults, even with the best intentions, do not always take his peanut allergy seriously, so he is very careful about not accepting snacks or samples.

This subject is near and dear to my heart and having seen so many people act with such disdain over a pbj sandwich is beyond me.

Thank you, again, OP for being so concerned!! I wish more people were as compassionate as you.

Edited by ccmom