Menu

American Girl Store Restaurant

There is a new American Girl store that recently opened not too far from us. I would like to take my daughter there on her birthday. They have a Bistro. Should we go there for lunch or is the food terrible? Is the experience worth it even if the food is terrible?

Thanks!

Lisa

Yes, go, but make your reservations right now! It will book up very quickly, especially if it is new. The food is good (the menu changes seasonally, so I don't know what to recommend, but everything we have had was pretty good), not crazy expensive, and they make such a big deal over your daughter and her doll. If it is a special occasion, be sure to tell them when you make your reservation.

Terri

Go and JUST have dessert! Really, the food is mediocre at best and wildly over-priced, but you can get the whole "experience" just going in for the really fun desserts for a lot less money. We've eaten there several times, and every time I've regretted it. But the desserts are great -- big sundaes, milk shakes, fresh cookies -- and they don't disappoint.

Make reservations for mid-afternoon, while most other kids are still at school. Have lunch somewhere else. Browse the store and look at all of the wonderful displays and drool over the fabulous stuff. Then take your doll and go into the restaurant (you can still have the little doll menu or tiny doll cup -- they change what they do for dolls occasionally), order drinks and big ol' desserts. :)

The overall experience is great and the food is pretty good.

We have gone the last 2 years for DD's and her friend's (2 days before DD's b-day) birthdays.

We like the lunch a lot. We did go to 'tea' once last year and I thought it was very overpriced, it was almost as much as lunch but not nearly as much food.

My friend is vegetarian and she says the pasta is good. I think the only thing we have had that I would say was bad, was the pizza. It was just, mushy.

I haven't been to the bistro only the cafe - the cafe food was wonderful every visit!

The Bistro desserts sounds amazing! We may have to visit one.

I just looked at the Bistro menu for Atlanta :glare:. The lunch is $8 per person LESS than it is in L.A..

:glare::glare::glare:

Thanks for all the replies. I was kind of expecting everyone to say the food was terrible, so I'm happy to hear that most people think it's pretty good. We just have the Bistro near us and I thought that might not be great but that we could at least get dessert.

Lisa

Thanks for all the replies. I was kind of expecting everyone to say the food was terrible, so I'm happy to hear that most people think it's pretty good. We just have the Bistro near us and I thought that might not be great but that we could at least get dessert.

Lisa

It's roughly Applebee's quality food. Perhaps the interpretation of "good" is variable. :)

It's roughly Applebee's quality food. Perhaps the interpretation of "good" is variable. :)

Abbey -

I knew someone had recommended going there for dessert only in the past and I was pretty sure it was you. I always respect your opinion and hoped you would give me some input here.

Personally, I find there are very few places I enjoy eating out anymore that are within my budget, and Applebee's is not one of them. The more I think about it though, my daughter isn't going to care and I'm not sure there's anything else that's wonderful in the mall anyway. I definitely agree that "good" is relative. :001_smile: Thanks!

Lisa

There are about five or six choices. The food's all right, but it's not gourmet quality. Portions are fairly small. I wouldn't choose to eat in that restaurant for the food itself; the AG experience was what my daughter and her friend were after. But once was enough.

Yes, this will definitely be a one-time birthday treat.

Lisa

We had fun, we went in New York. They had a special high chair for the doll, everything was fru fru and over the top. My daughter LOVED it! We went for lunch as that was the cheapest time. My sandwich was good, she approved of her mac and cheese, but she adored the hot chocolate (especial since her doll had a cup too!)

There is a new American Girl store that recently opened not too far from us. I would like to take my daughter there on her birthday. They have a Bistro. Should we go there for lunch or is the food terrible? Is the experience worth it even if the food is terrible?

Thanks!

Lisa

The food at ours is actually surprisingly good. My daughter LOVES the experience. It's almost like a tea party. They bring treats out for the dolls and have little chairs for them. 2 things - it's expensive. And make a reservation! I went there with a friend last week for an end of summer lunch with our girls and it was a 2 hour wait without a reservation! And we popped in at 11:30 on a Tuesday.

We did the birthday party at the bistro in Atlanta for my twins last month. It was $18 for the adults and $28 for the kids. It included drinks (no alcohol) for everyone, an appetizer for each person, an entree, and cake & ice cream. The adults all had the salmon and it was better than I expected. The party favors, the service, and the over all experience were worth the price. It isn't a restaurant I would choose to go to in general, but I would do it again for my girls' bday.

Really? I had some sort of pasta that really was quite good. And I won't eat at Applebee's - I've had a couple horrible experiences there too gross to mention. I agree it wasn't gourmet and I wouldn't choose it for great food, but I did think it was reasonable quality and perhaps a step above Applebee's.

So, the AG website says the meal costs $16.50 per person. I take it dessert is not included in that?

Lisa

I believe they brought out a complimentary dessert for the birthday girl. I would definitely mention her birthday when you make the reservation.

If you want to do a cake and favors, that's all extra.

It's been a long time since we've been (6 yrs) but I'll throw my 2 cents in. We visited the restaurant in NYC and we found the food to be good, not $17 worth for lunch, but it was good. I think we had a chicken flaky pie, salad, pink lemonade and chocolate mousse. Of course it is for the experience that one visits, and we spent a lot of time at the store, doll salon etc.

As mentioned before however, once was enough for us.