Menu

Does this sound like a food allergy?

This morning about 15 minutes after Anna ate a bowl of cereal (Shredded Wheat) for breakfast, her lips and around her mouth started swelling. Within 2 minutes, it was really bad. I gave her Benadryl and called the doctor. She never had any shortness of breath, trouble swallowing, scratchy throat, etc. She did have a little upset stomach and chest discomfort, but I *think* that was from being scared and upset. She has not used any face creams, lip gloss or lotions. There is no bite visible anywhere on her. She didn't eat anything she hasn't eaten before. She has never had anything like this happen before. It's been almost 4 hours, and her lips and mouth are still not back to normal, but they are better, and she was able to eat lunch.

We are going to the allergist. I am so nervous. My middle dd was just diagnosed with environmental allergies, but food allergies are a whole different ball game. I know kids die from this stuff. Is that what this sounds like?

Okay, honesty time. I am TERRIFIED! I tend to freak a bit about my kids anyway, and this scares the crap out of me.

Would it have to be something in the cereal or milk, if it was a food allergy. That's all she had eaten since last night at dinner. And she's had that cereal many times.

This morning about 15 minutes after Anna ate a bowl of cereal (Shredded Wheat) for breakfast, her lips and around her mouth started swelling. Within 2 minutes, it was really bad. I gave her Benadryl and called the doctor. She never had any shortness of breath, trouble swallowing, scratchy throat, etc. She did have a little upset stomach and chest discomfort, but I *think* that was from being scared and upset. She has not used any face creams, lip gloss or lotions. There is no bite visible anywhere on her. She didn't eat anything she hasn't eaten before. She has never had anything like this happen before. It's been almost 4 hours, and her lips and mouth are still not back to normal, but they are better, and she was able to eat lunch.

We are going to the allergist. I am so nervous. My middle dd was just diagnosed with environmental allergies, but food allergies are a whole different ball game. I know kids die from this stuff. Is that what this sounds like?

I would treat that as part of the reaction. My ds was allergic to dairy for years. His first few reactions were belly cramps and increased heart rate. His progressed to anaphylaxis which still included GI symptoms.

Waiting for trouble breathing is not the best way to go as it can be too late by then.

Okay, honesty time. I am TERRIFIED! I tend to freak a bit about my kids anyway, and this scares the crap out of me.

Would it have to be something in the cereal or milk, if it was a food allergy. That's all she had eaten since last night at dinner. And she's had that cereal many times.

After she recovers from the reaction, ask the allergist to do an in office food challange to the ingredients separately.

I would treat that as part of the reaction. My ds was allergic to dairy for years. His first few reactions were belly cramps and increased heart rate. His progressed to anaphylaxis which still included GI symptoms.

Waiting for trouble breathing is not the best way to go as it can be too late by then.

She did tell me her heart was racing! Oh goodness. I am such a dork. I am a freaking nurse; I should know these things. But all that training and experience goes out the window when it's my own kids. I was *this close* to calling 911.

No, she hasn't.

Are you sure? I didn't realize that my 3.5yo dd was sensitive to dairy until I potty trained her. When she had yogurt or large amounts of milk she had tons of accidents of both types. She's fine now as long as she has only small amounts of Lactaid milk and cheese. If she even has a moderate amount she has somewhat loose stools. Something like that might not be quite so noticeable.

Very strange, since she is 10 years old and hasn't had a reaction before. Did you look at the cereal ingredients? Maybe there is a new ingredient added. Usually the allergens are listed in bold. Has she ever had any of those ingredients before?

I'm sure you'll have your questions answered after seeing the allergist. But....number 1: don't panic. It will be ok. Food allergies stink big time....but you will be able to deal with it. Just educate yourself. Possibly she is allergic to some food....but that doesn't mean that the allergy is life-threatening (anaphylactic).

That was great you had Benedryl on hand and gave her some. When my son had his first allergic reaction it was late at night, no stores open in our little town, no Benedryl in our cabinet (who knew I had to have that?). So....yeah, not fun.

My 16 year old is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg yolk, egg white. He used to be allergic to wheat, and he has some sensitivity to dairy in certain forms.

My 7 year old is allergic to peanuts (just found that out last summer by accident!).

Breathe....it will be ok mom.

Last year we had our ds seen by an allergist when he had trouble breathing after eating dairy products. It only happened a couple times. The doc said it was highly unlikely to be a milk allergy--those tend to manifest when the child is very young. Most likely a nut allergy, which tend to show up later in a lot of people. There's a good chance your cereal was made in a facility that processes nuts as well--you know, nuts in cereal? And that the allergy is just now causing significant reactions.

Thankfully ours turned out to be coincidental--allergy testing showed environmental allergies (pollen was severe at the time but we didn't even think of that), but not food allergies.

ETA: I'd avoid all nuts for her until you know for sure.

I agree with the others. Also, definitely count the stomach ache as a symptom. My ds would throw up as one of his first signs of anaphlyaxis.

Can you call your doc and get a prescription for an epi-pen? This way, if it happens again, you'll have it, just in case. ETA: I mean - today. That way you won't have to wait until you see the allergist. (Around here a first appointment can take a while)

Also, watch for a secondary reaction. After the Benadryl wears off, she can start to react all over again. The secondary reaction tends to be worse than the first.

:grouphug: I know how terrifying this can be.

Are you sure? I didn't realize that my 3.5yo dd was sensitive to dairy until I potty trained her. When she had yogurt or large amounts of milk she had tons of accidents of both types. She's fine now as long as she has only small amounts of Lactaid milk and cheese. If she even has a moderate amount she has somewhat loose stools. Something like that might not be quite so noticeable.

Yes, I'm sure. She is almost 11, and she has, for sure, never had any reactions to dairy.

Last year we had our ds seen by an allergist when he had trouble breathing after eating dairy products. It only happened a couple times. The doc said it was highly unlikely to be a milk allergy--those tend to manifest when the child is very young. Most likely a nut allergy, which tend to show up later in a lot of people. There's a good chance your cereal was made in a facility that processes nuts as well--you know, nuts in cereal? And that the allergy is just now causing significant reactions.

Thankfully ours turned out to be coincidental--allergy testing showed environmental allergies (pollen was severe at the time but we didn't even think of that), but not food allergies.

ETA: I'd avoid all nuts for her until you know for sure.

Yeah, she wanted a PB&J for lunch, but I wouldn't let her have it. :(

I agree with the others. Also, definitely count the stomach ache as a symptom. My ds would throw up as one of his first signs of anaphlyaxis.

Can you call your doc and get a prescription for an epi-pen? This way, if it happens again, you'll have it, just in case.

Also, watch for a secondary reaction. After the Benadryl wears off, she can start to react all over again. The secondary reaction tends to be worse than the first.

:grouphug: I know how terrifying this can be.

:svengo:

It definitely sounds like an allergy - I agree with others, don't panic!

Benedryl is great - if after a few hours she hasn't had the symptoms totally dissipate, you can give her a second child dose - that should do the trick to relieve the swelling and any itch if the first didn't.

Allergies don't always present right away - they're often there, but not overtly until they come out. We learned my DS is allergic to all fish and shellfish - from any source: air borne, touch, ingestion - and it's a severe reaction. He had it for at least two years before it became totally obvious we were looking at an allergy, and even then, there were so many confounding variables, we had to test for everything because in each and every situation we thought of in hindsight, it could have been something else! He has an epi-pen because he's had multiple system reactions - hives & throwing up, hives & eyes swell shut, eyes swell and throwing up, etc. - thankfully, he has not had a breathing issue, nor had to use the epi-pen to date and we hope to keep it that way!

The thing to prepare yourself for is the testing. I had NO CLUE what a full panel involved and about ten needles in, DS was freaking out and I was doing everything to remain calm and hold him. It's a scary series of testing for kids - prepare yourself for it's gonna hurt and she'll likely freak out!

I do hope it turns out not to be an allergy.....!

Could be a wheat allergy, too! My youngest is allergic to wheat. She doesn't have reactions that badly anymore, but she used to when she was younger.

I used to be unable to take her down the baking aisle (where the bags of wheat flour are) or the bread section of the grocery store without her breaking out in hives.

Now that she's been wheat-free for over 8 years, she can be around it -- she just can't eat it.

Edited by hsmamainva
Added info

I debated whether or not to throw that in there. But, you need to know. Try to be calm. Keep her on Benadryl every 4 hours. After a reaction like that, I keep my ds on it for 12 hours and then watch him like a hawk (as in sleeping with him and everything) for the next 12 hours.)

:iagree:

:grouphug: Yes it sounds like a severe reaction that requires epinephrine.

Please see

http://www.foodallergy.org/

Please note the ingredients of anything she ate within 2 hours of the reaction as well as any possible cross contamination as well. She needs to be evaluated for allergies and I would avoid the offending foods and get a dual pack epinephrine as well as benadryl melt away strips.

New allergies can pop up any time.

My 23yo dd has recently acquired an allergy to SOMETHING and we haven't figured out what it is. My 21yo has multiple food allergies.

With my kids, most new food allergies have started with a "funny" feeling in the throat. After another exposure or two, they will start having a lot of mucous and drainage. Then they start throwing up with every exposure. After that, full blown anaphylaxis.

You need to make an appointment to see an allergist as soon as you can to get this diagnosed. Until you get it diagnosed, never leave home without benadryl. My 21yo carries both Benadryl and an epi-pen with her at all times.

I don't want to alarm you too much, but this can be life-threatening. Call the doctor today.

Really?? I always thought "secondary reaction" meant the next time they were exposed to the allergen and had another reaction.

With my kids....the Benedryl does the trick for the non-anaphylactic allergies (hives, minor swelling). They never reacted again after the Benedryl wore off. Of course, with the anaphylactic allergies (affecting breathing) you'd need that Epi.

Really?? I always thought "secondary reaction" meant the next time they were exposed to the allergen and had another reaction.

With my kids....the Benedryl does the trick for the non-anaphylactic allergies (hives, minor swelling). They never reacted again after the Benedryl wore off. Of course, with the anaphylactic allergies (affecting breathing) you'd need that Epi.

Sorry - I got my terms wrong - I think I was looking for biphasic reaction.

Here's some info:

It takes only 1 to 2 minutes for a mild allergic reaction to escalate to anaphylaxis.24 The faster the onset of an anaphylactic reaction, the greater the likelihood that it will be severe.1 Biphasic Reaction

As many as 25% of people who have an anaphylactic reaction will experience a recurrence in the hours following the beginning of the reaction and require further medical treatment, including additional epinephrine injections.25-27 This delayed reaction is called biphasic, meaning two phases. For more information please visit : http://www.epipen.com

That's what happened to my ds during his worst reaction.

Yes, definitely an allergy. The others have offered wise thoughts on that.

An allergic reaction can go on for 4-6 weeks. You will want to give Benedryl for at least 24 hours. After that, be prepared to dose as needed.

When my dd had a similar situation, she continued reacting almost a full six weeks. The first three days I had to dose Benedryl like clockwork every four hours. After that it was twice a day for a while, then once a day, then every couple days. The last week she only reacted once the whole week.

Sometimes if the body is really stressed by a recent illness there can be allergic reactions out of the blue. For example, my daughter's first major allergic reaction came after she'd had the stomach flu, badly, twice in a three week span, and prior to stomach flu had had a head cold. Later allergy testing showed no allergies, and that's when our allergist explained that this type of reaction can pop up in the wake of a serious illness.

Also, if you do allergy testing after this, you have to wait both until the reaction is done (4-6 weeks) AND you have to make sure to wait 24-48 hours after the antihistamines are out of her system. The antihistamines can completely skew the test, so I think it best to give more than a day to clear.

Sorry - I got my terms wrong - I think I was looking for biphasic reaction.

Here's some info:

It takes only 1 to 2 minutes for a mild allergic reaction to escalate to anaphylaxis.24 The faster the onset of an anaphylactic reaction, the greater the likelihood that it will be severe.1 Biphasic Reaction

As many as 25% of people who have an anaphylactic reaction will experience a recurrence in the hours following the beginning of the reaction and require further medical treatment, including additional epinephrine injections.25-27 This delayed reaction is called biphasic, meaning two phases. For more information please visit : http://www.epipen.com

That's what happened to my ds during his worst reaction.

Oh...I hadn't heard of that official term. I do know that once the epi wears off you may need another (like 20 minutes after the first); maybe that has something to do with the biphasic reaction thing. I'm not actually sure her dd had an anapylactic reaction though, so I'm betting the Benedryl will do just fine...but good to have that info in mind in case.

Yes, definitely an allergy. The others have offered wise thoughts on that.

An allergic reaction can go on for 4-6 weeks. You will want to give Benedryl for at least 24 hours. After that, be prepared to dose as needed.

Really?? I never heard of that.

Nakia, it's very possible your dd had a normal food allergy reaction and not a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction. You'll know more after allergy testing. I just don't want you to get completely freaked out here.

Oh...I hadn't heard of that official term. I do know that once the epi wears off you may need another (like 20 minutes after the first); maybe that has something to do with the biphasic reaction thing. I'm not actually sure her dd had an anapylactic reaction though, so I'm betting the Benedryl will do just fine...but good to have that info in mind in case.

My ds' second reaction was like her dd's. Very simple rash and he had some itching. I gave Benadryl and all seemed fine. Three hours later, my ds was throwing up violently and having trouble breathing. The first reaction does not have to appear anaphalyctic in order to turn into one later.

I'm also not trying to freak her out. But, this CAN be serious and OP needs to be very aware and keep a close watch. When and if it turns bad, it does so VERY fast. An epi-pen could help with the panic! You'd have it if necessary, Nakia! (And, I pray it's not necessary.)

My oldest ds has nut allergies. He doesn't have breathing problems, but he does throw up for about 30 minutes and has significant chest pain and racing heart. It's very unsettling as a parent, wondering what might happen, but knowing what is causing it is the best prevention! Hope you find some answers! BTW, it took many times of eating nuts for us to figure out his allergy! The body is a weird thing....

Blessings,

Melody

:grouphug: It certainly can be scary. Benadryl was the way to go! We carry benadryl with us everywhere in addition to 2 epi-pens just in case.

It took my dd 6 years to show a milk allergy. And she ate tree nuts up until the day before (I think...) her allergy testing showed her as being allergic. A good friend of mine ate hazelnuts all her life and one day they sent her into anaphalxis. You just never know.

One thing I have noticed about foods is that companies are changing ingredients all.the.time! We always read the ingredients list before dd eats anything. The amount of ingredient changes really surprises me.

I really hope you are able to get an appt with an allergist soon. It seems scary and overwhelming when it comes to getting a list of allergens. I cried my eyes out the day we got dd's report. But knowing what they are is better than not knowing, because then you can find ways to deal with it.

:grouphug:

Thank you all so much for the help and advice. I am still really on the edge of freaking out every minute, and I'm beginning to get on Anna's nerves following her around the house. I am praying we can get into the allergist this week!

Thank you all so much for the help and advice. I am still really on the edge of freaking out every minute, and I'm beginning to get on Anna's nerves following her around the house. I am praying we can get into the allergist this week!

My son has will just continue to answer my questions about how he's feeling as often as I need him to answer.

I would definitely call your doctor and see if they'll call in an Epi-pen prescription. It does sound like a food allergy.

You can find a food allergy action plan at FAAN's site. That'll also be a good place to get more info and to start a list of questions to ask your allergist.

My son did have a biphasic reaction with his tree nut anaphlaxis. It was good that we were in the ER (about to be released... sigh... ended up admitted).

Was this cereal a new, unopened box? Or had your dd already eaten cereal from this same box with no reaction?

I'm just thinking that maybe if it was a new, unopened box, there was some new ingredient that was in the cereal.

Okay, we have been playing detective all day. My dh bought the box of cereal last week. She ate a couple of bowls last week and then the one this morning. Last week she had a mysterious rash on her back that only lasted a couple of days. Wonder if there's a link there...

The ingredients in the cereal are: whole grain wheat, sugar, HFCS, and gelatin.

No, I won't be receiving a mom-of-the-year award for that breakfast. :glare:

Okay, we have been playing detective all day. My dh bought the box of cereal last week. She ate a couple of bowls last week and then the one this morning. Last week she had a mysterious rash on her back that only lasted a couple of days. Wonder if there's a link there...

It may depend on the supplier of the ingredients too if she has eaten this cereal and milk before. There are many different pesticides put on crops, GMO crops, and fillers added to the final product these days, and companies are not required to tell you what those are. I have one son that can eat name brand rasin brand, but the store brand causes a reaction even though they have the same ingredient list. Last year he could eat either, so something has changed (likely the pesticides put on the crops as he is allergic to many pesticides).

There is most likely a link to the rash last week. That is how we discovered my son's allergy to penicillin. He had a rash the first day that was in the same spot as his bathing suit rubbed, so we thought nothing of it. The next day he broke out in a terrible itchy rash with swelling.

Hope you dd recovers soon and you find the culprit. Being a nurse I am sure you know to continue the benadryl every 4 hours, but a reminder dosn't hurt. ;)

Don't feel too bad. My friend didn't know she had a nut allergy until she had to go to the ER the second time! And she was in her early 40's when this happened.

When I had an anaphylactic reaction, I didn't think I was having trouble breathing. I was so confused, distressed, and it wasn't until the meds kicked in that I realized what it felt like to breathe normally. So I said I was fine, but thankfully my husband stepped in and said I wasn't.

She did tell me her heart was racing! Oh goodness. I am such a dork. I am a freaking nurse; I should know these things. But all that training and experience goes out the window when it's my own kids. I was *this close* to calling 911.

I'm still nervous I will mess it up if my dd ever has a serious reaction.

For my own reactions, I refused treatment. I don't know why and I felt really dumb after.

What does the cereal box say? Unfortunately people can develop allergies at any age and any time:(

One of my serious reactions was to a cereal, in my late twenties and to something I never knew I was allergic to. All of my anaphylactic reactions were to things I didn't know I was allergic to. It's tough to figure it out sometimes, but I hope you can get to the allergist soon, Nakia!

Does it say it is manufactured in a facility with any potential allergens? Unfortunately, wheat and milk can be culprits too as well as any potential allergens made in the same facility such as peanuts and tree nuts. Actually any food can be the culprit. The allergens listed on boxes are only the most common ones.

Does it say it is manufactured in a facility with any potential allergens? Unfortunately, wheat and milk can be culprits too as well as any potential allergens made in the same facility such as peanuts and tree nuts. Actually any food can be the culprit. The allergens listed on boxes are only the most common ones.

No, it only says made with wheat ingredients. And I'm like DUH! :lol:

It may depend on the supplier of the ingredients too if she has eaten this cereal and milk before. There are many different pesticides put on crops, GMO crops, and fillers added to the final product these days, and companies are not required to tell you what those are. I have one son that can eat name brand rasin brand, but the store brand causes a reaction even though they have the same ingredient list. Last year he could eat either, so something has changed (likely the pesticides put on the crops as he is allergic to many pesticides).

There is most likely a link to the rash last week. That is how we discovered my son's allergy to penicillin. He had a rash the first day that was in the same spot as his bathing suit rubbed, so we thought nothing of it. The next day he broke out in a terrible itchy rash with swelling.

Hope you dd recovers soon and you find the culprit. Being a nurse I am sure you know to continue the benadryl every 4 hours, but a reminder dosn't hurt. ;)

re: the bolded...Yes, chances are that the food was contaminated with something. PLEASE save the box and call the company the minute you find out what your dd is allergic to. And I wonder if a call to the FDA would be in order too...food labeling has come a long way, but has a lot further to go! Info like this will be able to help others in the future. I hope she is feeling better!

No, it only says made with wheat ingredients. And I'm like DUH! :lol:

There are actually three potential allergens in the cereal - the wheat protein (gluten), the corn residue protein (potential, rare) in the HFCS and the "gelatin".....DS cannot have kosher gelatin in foods, it's often (you can't know when though) made with fish bones and is on his list of foods to absolutely avoid. And there was the milk too! Or cross-contamination of the cereal in the factory, or in your pantry, with another allergen. Testing will help find your cause!

re: the bolded...Yes, chances are that the food was contaminated with something. PLEASE save the box and call the company the minute you find out what your dd is allergic to. And I wonder if a call to the FDA would be in order too...food labeling has come a long way, but has a lot further to go! Info like this will be able to help others in the future. I hope she is feeling better!

:iagree: Companies do mess up the labels sometimes:( FAAN lists known recalls due to label mess ups.

I am definitely saving the box and the cereal that is left. I will call whomever I can to make sure the right people find out if it is a contaminate. :glare:

There are actually three potential allergens in the cereal - the wheat protein (gluten), the corn residue protein (potential, rare) in the HFCS and the "gelatin".....DS cannot have kosher gelatin in foods, it's often (you can't know when though) made with fish bones and is on his list of foods to absolutely avoid. And there was the milk too! Or cross-contamination of the cereal in the factory, or in your pantry, with another allergen. Testing will help find your cause!

That's what scares me! It could be anything. I am scared for her to eat at all, but gosh, I have to feed the kid. Poor thing. I wish we could go for testing tomorrow, but of course we can't because she's had the antihistamines now. I still won't let her out of my sight. She hates sleeping with people, but she is sleeping with me tonight, like it or not.