Menu

Sports

Hey guys, I'm curious how you all fit sports in your HS lives. What sports do your kids play and how often? I happen to run a soccer academy in Los Angeles, so my kids play 3 days a week and games start in the Fall. Just wondering if I'm in the minority with kids who HS and have active sports lives too.

:)

I have three very athletic kids.

Ds15 played baseball until last year. That was 5 -6 days/week for a long time. He is also a black belt in karate and takes/teaches classes 4x/week. He's also a runner. He does that in the morning on his own and enters races all over the place (with his dear old mom!) We're calling that cross country!

Ds13 still plays baseball and just agreed to another year with the team he played on this year. He will play or practice 5 - 6 times/week for about 7 months. He is also a black belt in karate. He goes in 4x/week in the off season for baseball. During baseball season, he goes to the karate classes when he can. He does a lot of workouts in the am at home. Currently, he's working through the Asylum. He also runs in the am and enters races.

Ds10 plays Little League - so his is still only 3x/week or so. This past year he played on a tournament team, but that wasn't too much more. He's also in karate and goes around 3x/week.

Dd5 is in karate, ballet, and gymnastics. Right now all are still 1x/week each. But, she wants to join the gymnastics team. That'll be more!

For us, it helps that most of these things are so close to our house. We also carpool with other kids and that helps emmensely!

Hey guys, I'm curious how you all fit sports in your HS lives. What sports do your kids play and how often? I happen to run a soccer academy in Los Angeles, so my kids play 3 days a week and games start in the Fall. Just wondering if I'm in the minority with kids who HS and have active sports lives too.

:)

I am trying to figure it out now. My dd is in karate 3 nights a week, she starts cross country running Monday. She will practice once a week with everyone and will need to run just about every day the rest of the week. In September they will run 1-2 meets a week through October. I also have to work 30 hours a week, school the kids, grocery shop and clean house :willy_nilly:. I have no idea how I am going to get it all done.

Well, sports are one of our top reasons for homeschooling. My son (middle school) plays select baseball year round, on top of ALL sport seasons at the middle school (last year he wrestled, played football, baseball, and basketball for them). He also fills in sometimes for an AAU basketball team and plays on a select football team (this will be his last year of extra football). Soooo, lots of hours. :D

My daughter (10) is in competitive cheerleading and spends 5 hours a week practicing.

We do rec level sports in our town or at the local schools. This year dd9 did 2 soccer seasons, 1 baseball season and a week long volleyball camp. Ds8 did 2 soccer seasons and was on the same baseball team as dd. Ds5 did a soccer league and will start T-ball this month. The older two do swimming (stroke) lessons during the school year in the mornings.

It ties up a lot of our evenings, but they are usually only doing one sport each at a time (one practice and one game per week for soccer, a bit more for baseball). It was great to fit the older two into the same baseball team. It saved us two nights a week. They love it and we see the value in team sports.

The kids are starting to ask to join the more competitive leagues and we are on the fence. The amount of time (and money) they require is significant and multiplying it by 3 kids seems daunting. Dh and I also run and do tris, so that takes up some of our weekends too, but I think we will have to cut back on some of that as the kids get more involved.

My older son did Little League & JUSA soccer for quite a few years. He's not a lover of sports, so he's not involved any more and has moved on to other things that interest him.

My younger son is very athletic, and is in sports almost year-round. This past year he did soccer & baseball in the fall, basketball in the winter, and football and baseball in the spring. Football is already underway for the fall, and baseball will begin practicing in the next couple of weeks. We're already looking down the road to figure out if he can continue to be homeschooled and play competitive sports through high school.

DS plays hockey, swims, and is going to start a new Tae Kwon Do class in a month.

Sports are a big reason for why we prefer hs'ing. With hockey alone, you usually have at least one weekly practice, and one game on the weekend. Throw 7 hours of school a day, plus 1-2 hours of home work afterward, and it really makes sports and other activities difficult!

Excellent, love all the various sports and enthusiasm! One (of many) reasons we went HS was the ability to have a break between school and sports. It was nuts fitting in 2-3 hours of homework and rushing off to sports. My boys got very little time for themselves. Now they have plenty of time to relax after school then get a good clean start for soccer training.

competitive swimming here. well, the oldest ds is competitive, as in going to the state meets. the other 2 are there for fitness and stroke development at this point. think they're going to have to wait for major growth spurts as they're just not built the same way as their older brother! so that means practices 5-6 times per week for the oldest, 3-4 times per week for the other two. then we have also let them do a second sport most seasons. it has usually been baseball but they're wanting to mix it up and try some different things this fall!

This summer has been non-stop activities - jujitsu, swim team, tennis, stroke development clinics (swim), and diving. Can you tell DS loves the water?

Tennis just finished up, so did diving.

Jujitsu is twice a week and continues through next year, then I'll need to decide if he'll continue in January or not. He loves it and now that he's gotten through the first twelve weeks, he starts to work on his first belt.

Swim team is year-round and we'll start up the fall quarter just after Labor Day. It's a USA Swimming Club, so the fall starts the short course schedule for competitions, invitationals and then championships. DS loves swimming and is really, really good, so we're going to the next level with it since he asked if he could after being on swim team this summer and the year-round regional team was recommended. This is also a twice a week (minimum; max is five a week) commitment for practice and (about) once a month meets.

That, along with cub scouts, should keep him pretty darn busy for the coming year!

Sports here. All of my kids swam USA until fairly recently. I'm down to two now. They have 9 practices a week. Competitions usually monthly (last 2-4 days). Ds is just competing summer league. He will have practices during the winter (switching teams so that he can practice more). At this point, that is it for us. When they were little, they had more variety. not enough time in the week for that at this level.

I have 3 in soccer, 1 is above rec level which means 4 days a week spring and fall, 2x summer and winter. Another will likely be above rec soon, but the other will stay rec if she keeps playing. Everyone swam 5 days a week this summer, but will continue 2-3x over the winter starting in September. 2 like triathlons, as do I, and we also play tennis, but can rarely fit it in. One will probably start some sort of martial art after soccer ends. I wish we could do/afford to do more. I LOVE sports and tend to put them ahead of everything other than academics, LOL. I love that we don't have to worry about homework before or after practices.

Excellent, love all the various sports and enthusiasm! One (of many) reasons we went HS was the ability to have a break between school and sports. It was nuts fitting in 2-3 hours of homework and rushing off to sports. My boys got very little time for themselves. Now they have plenty of time to relax after school then get a good clean start for soccer training.

It's a huge selling point. We did K, 1st grade, and part of 2nd in a chater school before we started hs'ing ds. While he did make several good friends, the school really cuts down on play time each successive year. And, since schools are getting huge budgeting cuts, it's only a matter of time before phys. ed. and sports gets hit hard, along with other extra curric. activities.

I know some people worried about ds having sports opportunities, but to be honest, his hockey is not school-based, and the soccer, baseball, swimming, and most every other sport here is community based anyway, at least at this age. So, hs'ing means more time to practice at the rink!

My 10 year old daughter attends a Judo class at the Y every Saturday, and usually participates in a homeschool bowling league in the winter. That's her only sport, although she does also do a library book club and Girl Scouts.

My 5 year old son played teeball this year and is starting soccer next week. He also participates in the homeschool bowling league.

Both boys have done soccer - DS11 is on his 3rd year of fall/spring rec soccer with the same team. Both also do summer swim team - DS8 was so enthused this summer that he has started with the year-round swim team. He also does tennis twice a week, plus practices with me. Both have tried basketball (the rec church league).

Most of the homeschoolers I know do sports - some homeschool specifically because of serious sports involvement. I can honestly say that if we didn't homeschool, I don't know that we would do as much. We are fortunate here that there are good rec leagues run through the Park and Rec dept so homeschooling isn't a problem.

For a while, ds was playing spring soccer, summer baseball, fall soccer, and winter basketball. He loved them all, but eventually dropped all but basketball. He has played on the middle school and high school teams, competitive teams, summer camps, even volunteer coaches. It's his passion.

I agree that homeschooling has helped to make it possible in sane manner. We know a few kids who do as much or even more, but they have much less free time.

I think homeschooling really frees us up to do sports without it killing our family life. DS 9 is about to start swimming year round (we're taking Aug off), which will be 3-5 days a week + monthly meets. He also plays baseball in the spring. DD 7 swims in a March-July league and dances. DD14 rides horses. We have at least one thing going on most days.

Mine did taekwondo to black belts (the boys and I) which was anywhere from 3-5 nights a week during the years we were involved. My oldest wrestled all during homeschooling 2-3 nights a week year-round and tournaments more weekends than not...now he's in ps so can wrestle in high school. My dd has done dance, soccer, and gymnastics though she doesn't do any of those things now.

Well, no sports here, but my daughter is doing ballet with a company academy 2x a week class plus rehearsals and in a professional production of the Nutcracker. She also is going to be on a First Lego League team this year which has a sports-like level of commitment. Plus Girl Scouts and acting.

IMO, it is WAY EASIER to fit this into our homeschool lives than if we were attending public school. I'm not sure I would allow Nutcracker participation for example, if she were in public school 8-3 with an hour + homework at night. Rehearsals can go late and it is tough for kids to get up at 6:30 am the next morning and catch a 7:15 bus! In fact, around here, not sure about sports but in performing arts there is a higher percentage of homeschooled kids participating for that very reason. We have the luxury of arranging our own schedules and doing things on our own time.

We start our schooldays at 9 am so we get a little extra sleep and we finish ALL our work before the activities start - no homework hanging over our heads.